MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #16
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haveuseen1? View Post
We go to sams every week, and I can never remember them being out of butts. They always have the 2 packs. Occasionally they run out of packer briskets, but usually they have them within a few days. Last weekend they had about 40 of the 2-pack butts on display, and only one packer brisket ( 16lbs ). If I remember correctly the butts here are the Smithfield bone in butts. The packers are always EXCEL brand.

One more thing our sams always has is chuck roasts. You can usually get 2 nice roasts for about 18.00.
Man I haven't seen chuck roasts for squat either. Really irritates the crap out of me too. I'm going to be harassing these butchers like mad now. Politely of course, but HARASSING ALL THE SAME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I think the butcher is telling Jazzy that he is chunking up and doesn't need more butt
One of my wife's mocking names for me is actually, "No butt." I'm apparently a Hank Hill in my own way. Don't need any weird butt pads though... yet.

So I would actually argue I am in DESPERATE need for butts. Padding, smoking, and sausage making wise. I'm running low on my damn Italian Sausage, and I'm out of breakfast sausage, and I want to make up some ground pork just to have laying around for some cabbage rolls too. It's very disheartening. I got hooked on those two packs, and then they go and yank them off their shelves.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #17
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy1975 View Post
In my opinion Costco beats Sam's hands down. They have better quality meats and better quality food. They have prime meats there and organic beef also. Seafood is better also. They have a lot more organic selections than Sams Club and many times it is cheaper than Sams Club Non-organic competing product. I have both memberships but only keep Sams because it is very close to my home for last minute items.

Yeah I like Costco's policies a whole lot more, but it's still a drive. I get most of my produce from Sprouts these days though, their prices cannot be beaten. Just insane how good their sales are. I love that farking place. Seafood I get from Viet Hoa and 99 Ranch most of the time. If I suck it up and drive into 'actual' Houston I'll also go to Bubba's because I used to live around there, and I like the owner.

My briskets, pork butts, ribs, and all chicken types I typically get from Sam's. I used to get my ground beef there too, but now I grind my own proteins because it's so much fun, and I can control the spices, etcetera.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #18
Ole Man Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

Yep... Alabama has our share of big butts.
Ole Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #19
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Our two Sam's usually have butts in two different coolers. Plenty here.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #20
gmag
Full Fledged Farker

Costco doesnt carry bone-in butts.

I purchased a package of butts from Sam's last week and I was not impressed. In fact, the last three times I have bought butts from Sam's they have been pretty crappy hunks of meat. I honestly doubt I will buy any more there unless I can see some changes in quality.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #21
Haveuseen1?
Full Fledged Farker

The butts that you bought that you were unhappy with. Where they Smithfield?

I have never had a bad one, but I am sure it can happen.
Haveuseen1? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #22
Pole D
is one Smokin' Farker

Our sams has them as many as you want and $1.29 a pound.
Pole D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #23
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Yeah, it's got to be regional. I bought a 2 pack at mine yesterday. $1.29/lb.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #24
SmokenQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I too purchased a pair at the local Sams @ 1.29/lb just this weekend. They had plenty and will be slow smoken this weekend!
SmokenQ is offline   Reply With Quote