Question about getting meat for a contest

Babyboomerboy

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
We are in discussions with a local meat processor here in town and I have a question for the cookers. Would you be interested in purchasing your meat for a BBQ contest at the site where the contest is being held? Here is our thinking, maybe you cookers would like to not have to buy and ice down the meat for the contest before you leave home. You could just pack up and come to the cook off and the meat would be here already iced down and buy it here at a very low price. This would all be grain fed Kansas beef and pork. The price would be closer to wholesale rather than retail, and it would be ready for you at the contest. Does this sound like something you might be interested in? We are asking this question because we don't know how most cookers feel about their contest meat. I know Myron wouldn't come to a contest without his own special cuts of meat, but how does everyone else feel about this?

I am guessing that most would not be comfortable with this.I know in your part of the country the meat situation is much different then here in Wisconsin. I think most prefer to have there best meat for the contest aged for brisket and trimmed for chicken and ribs before they hit the contest site.Most everyone I know likes the security of having their meats well ahead of time.Its hard to find the type of brisket most are looking for in comps,what are the odds of one supplier showing up with that many great briskets and that many racks of ribs that are just so at one contest? I know that theres some cookes who fly in to a contest run down to Sams and grab some meat and win.But theres an awful lot who travel to contests that are that far from home and take their meat. I dunno might work but I am bettin it wont be a big thing.

I am guessing that most would not be comfortable with this.I know in your part of the country the meat situation is much different then here in Wisconsin. I think most prefer to have there best meat for the contest aged for brisket and trimmed for chicken and ribs before they hit the contest site.Most everyone I know likes the security of having their meats well ahead of time.Its hard to find the type of brisket most are looking for in comps,what are the odds of one supplier showing up with that many great briskets and that many racks of ribs that are just so at one contest? I know that theres some cookes who fly in to a contest run down to Sams and grab some meat and win.But theres an awful lot who travel to contests that are that far from home and take their meat. I dunno might work but I am bettin it wont be a big thing.

Thanks for the reply. That is why we thought we would ask you cookers before going any further with this idea. If most cookers would prefer to bring their own meat, we would just forget about this. You know how round table discussions have the greatest ideas in the world until you try to put them in place and then find all the holes in the plans. Thanks again

No thanks...we trim our meats a night or two before a comp...:becky:

Most pay wholesale now. U can't beat the prices nor carry the selection most teams are acustomed to.

Back