Question 4 Competitors

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

Here is the general concept: A normal two day BBQ contest that is a benefit for a charity. The charity accepts $ donations (50 bucks? 75?) in exchange for a member of the public to 'cook with a team', which would amount to them spending 3 hours or so with the team the day before turn-ins.

The donor gets to learn a bit about BBQ, gets a tee-shirt, gets to taste some food and maybe a rack of ribs to take home. The food is provided by the organizer.

The team donates their time and energy for a few hours hanging out with the donor, talking BBQ, offering tips, etc.

This could potentially be a significant fundraising boon without being too onerous for the team.

Would this be something that you would be willing to do for a cause you believed in?

Obviously, we are speaking in fairly general terms. Specifics would have to be determined.

Thanks!

Eric

The team donates their time and energy for a few hours hanging out with the donor, talking BBQ, offering tips, etc.

Would this be something that you would be willing to do for a cause you believed in?

We would have no problem with it...we would probably have to pay the person the $50 for then to cook with us!

Hanging out yes, cooking ribs not going to happen. But I'd suggest Friday noon to 9 and minimum of 100. They eat what we do for dinner. Want to hang out Saturday inimum of 250. For that they sample comp meats after box goes in.

That is a great idea. Especially if its just Friday, I don't see a problem at all.

We wouldn't want to impose on any team on the day of turn-ins.

Ford, were you serious about the 9 hours? I was thinking of three hours as you can tolerate almost anyone for 3 hours. Especially for charity.

Does $75 seam reasonable?

Thanks!

Eric

Hanging out isn't going to cut it - if you advertise to the public that they will "Cook with a team", they will expect to participate in some cooking. I'd suggest you do some sort of grilled ancillary Friday night. That way the ticket holder will actually be involved in the competition, and not simply a voyeur.

In our area we almost invariably have a grilling contest on the day before the BBQ, but that's a good point.

Eric

I think it could be a fun was to raise money for a good cause.

Yea, that sound like a great idea. I have a spin on that though. Why not $50 for a sample plate of the 4 categories at 1:30 Saturday? They eat, can try more than one teams food, and the team isn't put out at all.

I like the idea. But I definitely think there needs to be some kind of special category that the Donor cooks "under the tuteledge" or "mentorship" of the participating comp team.

The contest provides the meat (something that takes less than a couple hours to cook...Pork Steaks maybe?). Donor gets to use the team's gear and cooker and pick their brains for ideas on cook times, seasoning, presentation, etc.

Then set it up as a People's Choice judging. Sell tickets for a couple of bucks each and let the donor tell all the folks who come by about how they cooked their entry, what the did and why they think theirs is the best. Similar to an MBN, onsite judging.

And of course the donor has to help clean up afterwards. :heh:

Yea, that sound like a great idea. I have a spin on that though. Why not $50 for a sample plate of the 4 categories at 1:30 Saturday? They eat, can try more than one teams food, and the team isn't put out at all.

This is good too. :thumb:

OK, once again I'll be that guy.. I don't like the idea at all. I think that asking a team to donate 3 hours of their time at/during a contest for what amounts to a personal class is not fair to the teams.

Many teams these days teach various classes throughout the year to help support them. Some charge hundreds of dollars p/p to attend a class of 40. I don't know of one that would be willing to teach a personal one on one for $75-100. Depending on the caliber of the team, that kind of service might be easily be worth 15-20 times that amount. In addition you are asking the teams to provide everything without any chance of return. I understand the charity fundraiser aspect but if teams are getting used as free labor it shouldn't cost them anything.

I do like the idea of educating the public at an event. What about lining up say 5-10 pitmasters that would teach class for that amount? I think you could raise a large sum that way without infringing on the teams too much.

OK, once again I'll be that guy.. I don't like the idea at all. I think that asking a team to donate 3 hours of their time at/during a contest for what amounts to a personal class is not fair to the teams.

Many teams these days teach various classes throughout the year to help support them. Some charge hundreds of dollars p/p to attend a class of 40. I don't know of one that would be willing to teach a personal one on one for $75-100. Depending on the caliber of the team, that kind of service might be easily be worth 15-20 times that amount. In addition you are asking the teams to provide everything without any chance of return. I understand the charity fundraiser aspect but if teams are getting used as free labor it shouldn't cost them anything.

I do like the idea of educating the public at an event. What about lining up say 5-10 pitmasters that would teach class for that amount? I think you could raise a large sum that way without infringing on the teams too much.

I get what you're saying.

I guess, for me anyway, I'm not "champion enough" to consider my "knowledge and experience" worth a couple hundred bucks to impose my opinion about cooking on someone else. Most of the teams I encounter at competitions seem to feel pretty much the same but then, maybe I just hang out with the "losers".

As long as it doesn't impinge on my time or energy required for the competition itself, I'm happy to do it. If I can share my passion for cooking with someone else who enjoys it as much and wants to experience something that I really love AND I can help out a good cause at the same time without it costing me any more money (which frankly is always somewhat of an issue for me at comps), then it's the classic "win-win".

But you're right. It should be voluntary on the team's part and not a mandatory requirement.

In no way would this be mandatory for any team and the only expense to the team would be if they wished to share some food that they were cooking for the team. The organizer would provide the donor with a rack of ribs to take home, a shirt and some other swag.

The donor would just be made welcome by the team the day before turn-ins, hopefully during a less competitive, fun ancillary event (grilling, chili, etc.).

This would also not be the equivalent of a structured class, more like an informal introduction to BBQ.

The donation to the charity could be made directly by the donor, so it would be tax deductible.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! All thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Eric

> if they wished to share some food that they were cooking for the team.

LOL; go to a BBQ contest, eat fried chicken or hamburgers... We eat so much BBQ, especially after a competition, it's been a LONG time since we BBQ'd for dinner on Friday night.

Perhaps an ancillary competition on Friday night, OR have them participate in the real thing from Friday night until 3pm Saturday. Then they'd get some BBQ eats. Want to come away with a LOT of BBQ, do an MBN competition (they average 7 20# whole shoulders just for pulled pork category).

I like that idea. The public would get to taste the real deal and get to talk about what went into the entry all while not stressing out the team. It's also incentive to stick around for awards to see if you tasted a "winning entry".

Back