MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #46
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_BBQ View Post
Hi
I am expecting a UDS from the same company today. I’m hoping mine doesn’t have a liner still intact. But if they do I’ll be in same boat. I saw on the monster UDS thread that some folks have had success with using Easy Off.
But if that doesn’t work what kind of business would do sand blasting?
DC if I was you I would call Clint up ASAP and let him know that you have read horror stories how some places do not do a good job regarding burn outs and you are concerned. I would then ask him if he would make sure that your smoker is fully burned out to the metal. I would even offer him an extra $20 just to make sure he does it the right way.
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #47
DC_BBQ
Got Wood.

Well that is the problem. It has already shipped and is being delivered today. I like you don't want to give Clinton to hard of a time. But I am a little anoyed because the reason I bought one was to avoid the whole burn out issue.
DC_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2011, 08:35 AM   #48
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Gaspipe, sorry for your troubles. What was the story? Did he miss burning yours out or did he try and fail at removing the liner?

I am glad he is standing behind his product. I hope he contacts everyone he sold a lined drum to and makes the same offer.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #49
DC_BBQ
Got Wood.

I got the drum on Friday. Big bummer it does have a liner.

What kind of business would do sandblasting?

Old 06-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #50
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

its starting to sound like clint might not be as standup of a guy as some believe. if he advertises that his units are burned out, then he obviously understands the potential dangers and is trying to play on the ignorance or empathy of his customers by sending out drums that havent been properly prepped.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #51
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
I got the drum on Friday. Big bummer it does have a liner.
What kind of business would do sandblasting?
I would start by contacting a local auto repair shop. I guarantee they know of somebody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyinsd View Post
its starting to sound like clint might not be as standup of a guy as some believe. if he advertises that his units are burned out, then he obviously understands the potential dangers and is trying to play on the ignorance or empathy of his customers by sending out drums that havent been properly prepped.
Personally I think its just someone trying to make a quick buck. He probably did burn it out to some degree. Many people believe that if it can withstand a fire then it will be fine at much lower temps of a smoker. Like I said before, its a personal choice and I choose to have a barrel that is completely clean.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #52
DC_BBQ
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
I would start by contacting a local auto repair shop. I guarantee they know of somebody.

Personally I think its just someone trying to make a quick buck. He probably did burn it out to some degree. Many people believe that if it can withstand a fire then it will be fine at much lower temps of a smoker. Like I said before, its a personal choice and I choose to have a barrel that is completely clean.
That is what I think and I think in the long run it will be easier to find someone to sandblast it out. Thanks for the tip.

I'll go by a body shop this week. I'm just bummed I really want to start using this. But I think getting it down to bare steel makes a lot of sense.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #53
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
That is what I think and I think in the long run it will be easier to find someone to sandblast it out. Thanks for the tip.

I'll go by a body shop this week. I'm just bummed I really want to start using this. But I think getting it down to bare steel makes a lot of sense.
I would start calling rather then stopping by, you may need to contact 4 or more people before you get the right guy. DC_BBQ what color is your liner? Post some pics if you can. I wish I could say I feel bad for you but truth is we're in the dam same boat

Old 06-20-2011, 01:32 PM   #54
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Yeah, I would just call around. I would start with small, local mom and pop repair places. They probably do not have their own equipment but they will know who to call and who will do it cheap. A powder coater is another place to look. Here is a start:

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...+washington+dc
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #55
Coltrain
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Hi
some folks have had success with using Easy Off.
I just did this yesterday. The Easy Off had no effect on the liner at first, but after the sun came out and heated up the drum the liner was pealing within a couple hours. After letting the Easy Off work, I took a wire wheel in my hand (not in a drill) and within 30 minutes I had 95% of the liner out. There were still a few spots that the liner didn't come off, so I sprayed it down with the rest of the Easy Off. I let it sit all night, and it will sit all day today in the sun - hoping the rest will come off just as easily. I'll wire wheel any left on, wash, do a little burn with a weed burner, paint and season.

This wasn't a red liner though....it was a tan liner.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:40 PM   #56
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltrain View Post
I just did this yesterday. The Easy Off had no effect on the liner at first, but after the sun came out and heated up the drum the liner was pealing within a couple hours. After letting the Easy Off work, I took a wire wheel in my hand (not in a drill) and within 30 minutes I had 95% of the liner out. There were still a few spots that the liner didn't come off, so I sprayed it down with the rest of the Easy Off. I let it sit all night, and it will sit all day today in the sun - hoping the rest will come off just as easily. I'll wire wheel any left on, wash, do a little burn with a weed burner, paint and season.

This wasn't a red liner though....it was a tan liner.
That is a huge score!!! I wonder would it be ok to start a very low fire w/ briq using the firebox.. perhaps something like 100*??

Old 06-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #57
Coltrain
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe1 View Post
That is a huge score!!! I wonder would it be ok to start a very low fire w/ briq using the firebox.. perhaps something like 100*??
I'm not sure you would need to put a fire in it....our outside temp was only 77 yesterday and seemed to do the trick once it was in the sun. My barrel is also a very light gray - almost white; a black barrel should heat up even more. Besides that, I'm not sure how the fumes in the barrel would react to lit charcoal. I'm not sure what the directions said about using it in a gas oven / near open flame.

The way I looked at it was that it was only about $5 investment, and if it didn't work I could use the leftovers to clean the cooking grates later.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:38 PM   #58
DC_BBQ
Got Wood.

Wow that is great news about easy off.

I will have to give easy off a try. I did find a guy who will sand blast the liner off for around $50 depending on what kind of component he needs to clean the drum with. The big thing was he was willing to come by and pick it up. Which would save me a lot of time.

I didn't get home in time to take a picture but it is the same orange color that GasPipe1 drum has. They are probably from the same batch.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:46 PM   #59
Coltrain
Knows what a fatty is.

Here's what my barrel looked like this afternoon, as you can see the remaining liner was peeling up. It should be super quick to finish taking the liner out.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #60
DC_BBQ
Got Wood.

Hey ColTrain

How did you clean up the easyoff way down at the bottom? That is some toxic stuff.

Tags
charcoal starter, lump, new smoker, uds