Redbud wood

CErnst

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've done a lot of searching these forums and on google. Supposedly it is safe to use. I did some trimming last month on a redbud that was growing into my service lines going to the house. I've got the limbs cut up into small chunks and sitting in the garage to season. Come spring, I'll find out how it tastes. if it is good...might have to do some more trimming...for safety's sake. I'll update once I try it, but wanted to get the thread in for anyone who has previous experience or wants to watch it.

Interested to see how that comes out. I really do not think that it is going to be a good wood for smoking. I kind of put redbud in the other fast growing tree category of elm, tallow, etc. Seems like your better smoking woods are more dense slower growing material, such as hickory, oak, mesquite, etc.

But what the heck, give it a try.

Redbud is of the same family as mesquite, honey locust, and acacia, cooking woods that have very strong smoke, use it sparingly until you can determine whether the smoke flavor is palatable to you.

I'll let you know...someone is giving me some redbud but it has to dry out.

The Redbud I remember was excellent for smoking! Of course my memory is not that good.

Thought I'd give an update on this type of wood. I've used it grilling up chicken thighs and some homemade bratwurst. Both turned out really good. It does taste a bit different, but good. Tastes great for (relatively) free!

Back