Burned out my drum last weekend. One fire Saturday night in the bottom of the barrel, then Sunday I put 3 hollow tile (cinderblocks) on end in the bottom with a 22.5" Weber grate on top, and had a second burn in the upper half of the drum. Hoping to finish by Saturday to be ready for smokin' Superbowl Sunday.

Attachments

• 2nd burn 0111.jpg
    2nd burn 0111.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 910
  • Ready 4 paint 0111.jpg
    Ready 4 paint 0111.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 912
So I am picking up a couple of drums this weekend and this thread has been a huge help for me so far! Can't wait to start my build!

Is there anything wrong with getting a penzoil motor oil drum? The guy says it has no lining, no real rust and it's $25.

Attachments

• SANY0936.jpg
    SANY0936.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 845
Rolling expanded metal

Any body have any ideas on how to roll the expanded metal beside having a fab shop roll it?? Thanks for any thought.

Any body have any ideas on how to roll the expanded metal beside having a fab shop roll it?? Thanks for any thought.

i bend the expanded metal around an empty propane tank from my gasser. nearly the perfect curve and super easy.

I completed my UDS except for the final paint job. I broke it in with a 10 Lb. butt. I love this thing!! It took a total of 16 hours to cook the butt and all I had to do was minor tweaks on the ball valve and I shook the basket down to break the ashes up at about 8 hours.

I have a question for more experienced drumhead bretheren. I have a dome lid but I only installed the bolts for the lower rack. I still have room for an upper rack. My question is: Is the second rack more trouble than it is worth? I seldom cook anything low and slow that I don't need to get at sometime during the process. Do you find that removing the top rack to get at the lower is a PITA? Do you need to rotate the racks of meat during the cooking process so that they are done at the same time?
UDS1013.jpg

I have dual racks and find myself using the top rack for the most part unless I'm doing six or seven shoulders. It all depends on what and how much your smoking.

Is there anything wrong with getting a penzoil motor oil drum? The guy says it has no lining, no real rust and it's $25.

No problem using it. Just wash it out with hot soapy water a couple times, to get the worst of the oil out, then burn it out.

"I have a question for more experienced drumhead bretheren. I have a dome lid but I only installed the bolts for the lower rack. I still have room for an upper rack. My question is: Is the second rack more trouble than it is worth? I seldom cook anything low and slow that I don't need to get at sometime during the process. Do you find that removing the top rack to get at the lower is a PITA? Do you need to rotate the racks of meat during the cooking process so that they are done at the same time"

I mostly use my top rack for appetizers while I'm smoking. It's not really a problem if you have a place to put your top rack, to get to the bottom rack. I use an old card table. You will probably need to rotate your racks if you have the same meat on both. Just be very careful when tilting the bottom rack to get it past the top bolts, hate to see you loose a rack of meat. I like the idea somebody came up with, they used long bolts in the top rack to rest on the bottom rack. This way, no need for bolts thru the top and your bottom rack will come straight out. You could put bolts on both rack's so you can rotate them. That's my next mode.

First time I rolled around a propane tank, then used some vice grips to keep it shaped while I tacked it (probably used a ratchet strap as well.)

Second time I just secured it with a couple of hog rings - worked a lot better than my lousy tack welds.
--
I used expanded for the bottom of the basket as well, so when it was a tad to tight I simply cut a little more metal till I could pound it in place.

Got my drums today! Gonna start building soon hopefully, is sawing off the top the best way to get the lid off?

First things to do:
Get lids off
Wash out with water/soap
Burn out 2-3x
Wash again
Make charcoal basket
Make diffuser
Make brackets to hold racks
Burn again with vegetable oil to season.

5423068219_36b5af95eb_z.jpg

5423068169_26863eb757_z.jpg

5423068137_a214f3aee3_z.jpg

Got my drums today! Gonna start building soon hopefully, is sawing off the top the best way to get the lid off?

I used a 1" hole saw and drilled the holes where the edge of the saw cut right by the inside lip. The next hole was drilled where part of the edge overlapped the previous hole. That leaves a little triangle shaped piece of metal that can be hammered down.

Lined Barrel - I'm Grinded out

I picked up a fruit juice barrel with the red liner. I burned a giant fire Friday night. Sat morning, I hooked up a steel wire cup and started grinding. The outside was bare metal easily, but the inside was not easy at all. Some spots are almost bare metal, some not. I worked on it for about an hour straight, but the inside is not bare metal. My question:

Would it be possible to season the inside with oil, get a couple rounds of smoke/heat through it, then use without the inside being bare metal?

As many UDS pros as are here, has anyone been faced with the same issue, and what was the outcome? I've read, in this forum, that a weed burner to the outside of the drum is a good way. What is the negative of leaving it as is and attempting to use it. Thx - Drew

Back