Competition Side Ideas

kynmo2010

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My buddy and I are entering our first real BBQ competition later this month. We have done rib and wing cook-offs and some charity events, but never anything close to a real competition. One of the categories is a Side. Looking for sides teams have done in the past and possibly some pics of presentation boxes. Thanks!

What are the rules? Can you use anything for presentation, or does it have to fit in a standard box?

Beans are always a good choice.

What are the rules? Can you use anything for presentation, or does it have to fit in a standard box?

Beans are always a good choice.

I haven't received the packet with rules yet. Right now I am assuming it has to fit into a standard box. If something like beans or mac and cheese are used, do you put each portion in a small plastic container, lid on or off for presentation? Would you still put normal garnish in bottom of the box for containers to sit in?

I haven't received the packet with rules yet. Right now I am assuming it has to fit into a standard box. If something like beans or mac and cheese are used, do you put each portion in a small plastic container, lid on or off for presentation? Would you still put normal garnish in bottom of the box for containers to sit in?

That depends on the rules. We took first place in beans a while back by using small, plastic bean pots (I think we found them at the dollar store) and a bed of dried beans (bean soup mix from a bag) to hold them in place, but in that case it was open presentation as long as it fit in the box. We also did well using medium sized potatoes, baked and hollowed out as bowls, and that one was on a bed of parsley.

Sorry for no pics. These were long enough ago that I can't find them :-D

That depends on the rules. We took first place in beans a while back by using small, plastic bean pots (I think we found them at the dollar store) and a bed of dried beans (bean soup mix from a bag) to hold them in place, but in that case it was open presentation as long as it fit in the box. We also did well using medium sized potatoes, baked and hollowed out as bowls, and that one was on a bed of parsley.

Sorry for no pics. These were long enough ago that I can't find them :-D

Thanks! They told me today they were using KCBA rules. With the potatoes, did you serve beans in them, or fluff up the potatoes and put back in the potato skin? Also, with anything like beans or mac and cheese, do we need to put little spoons in the box, or will the judge have them?

I did brisket/bacon/onion deviled eggs one year that were well received. This was for SCBA

That looks awesome! Did you smoke your eggs? If so, did you boil them first, remove the shell and then smoke them?

Back