MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:27 AM   #76
Plata-O-Plomo
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Martin

I ended up reorganizing the patio. The smokers are now 1/2 the length of the house away from my neighbor with two side yards, a travel trailer and storage shed in between. I sent the HOA a heads up. I have not heard back from them.

Friday I am hosting a small birthday party. I am thinking carne asada tacos and maybe Al Pastor. I am not sure yet. Either way, I am going to fire up a smoker and the green egg to grill.

As I rearranged the patio my patience waned. My a$$hole neighbor just lost all good cheer from me.

By the way, the Mighty Mighty Bruins are on TV tonight. Got to like that Perfection Line!
YS 640s Comp Cart, UDS #1 Fat Man, UDS #2 Little Boy, Large BGE
Plata-O-Plomo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2020, 11:52 AM   #77
fwdiii
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

LOL...if it was me, that smoker would be going nearly 24 hours a day!!!
fwdiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2020, 12:02 PM   #78
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
I agree to a point.Ever wonder why we have fences? To keep the neighbors out.Good fences make good neighbors.Noise and smoke do not honor those boundaries.Smoke offends some,just as weedeaters/leaf blowers and lawn mowers offend/ disturb others,when used at certain times of the day/ evening.The price you pay for living in a place that you chose to live.There are always options.I grew up in a rural environment.Lots of development going on there.Do I like it? No.I can deal with it,buy the land to keep it from being developed or move.Pretty simple.Most do not see it that way.They buy a lot in a subdivision and want to dictate what happens on the 500 acres that surround them without the responsibility of purchase,property taxes,etc.We moved here because it was in the country we want no more houses here!Fun times.Rant over.
Similar to myself. Somedays, I find 1200 feet to the county road from my house to be a bit too close though!

My neighbor's kid got the muffler on his pickup 'fixed'. Inside my house about a 1/2 mile away with the TV on, I still hear it! He will graduate and move away, I hope ...

My 'herd' of WSMs and two stick burners have nothing to worry about regarding neighbors or any public ordinances!

Last edited by Sid Post; 02-12-2020 at 12:10 PM..
Sid Post is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-12-2020, 12:36 PM   #79
CaptainQ
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Azore

Hoss, are you a real estate agent? I'm an agent and live in a rapidly developing area (my hometown) that was once farm country. Your post was well said and does a good job of explaining the dilemma.

I don't prefer the growth even though I make a living from it. My neighbor has around 100 ac across the road from me. I enjoy looking out the window and seeing deer, turkey, farm crops, etc. I have enjoyed the view for free for 22 years. When he decides to sell though he has a right to sell for the land's highest and best use that adheres to county zoning requirements..... which will be a housing subdivision. While I can't afford to pay development prices for the land and buy it, he has the right to sell it to someone who can.

Last edited by CaptainQ; 02-12-2020 at 01:13 PM..
CaptainQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2020, 02:04 PM   #80
sarth67
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Sarth67

I am afraid I would burn a stack of tires Just so the BBQ would smell better :(
sarth67 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2020, 04:30 PM   #81
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plata-O-Plomo View Post
I ended up reorganizing the patio. The smokers are now 1/2 the length of the house away from my neighbor with two side yards, a travel trailer and storage shed in between. I sent the HOA a heads up. I have not heard back from them.
You took the high road and did more than what might be reasonable. If he wants to stay grumpy, there's nothing you can do. Enjoy your smoking and remember it's probably not the smoke that's making him the way he is.

Old 02-12-2020, 07:12 PM   #82
dummy que
Full Fledged Farker

this brought out a blast from the past when i was a youth my best friends grandfather had a greenhouse that had a insinarator well the local authoritys told him it had to go (this city is the best educated ZIPcode in the state of ohio) grandpaw had us collect all the old tires we could find well we road around on our stingray bikes (if that don`t date me) and collected them well my buddys grandfather burnt them right up to the last day he was allowd to operate this was pre. EPA my buddies mom and gradmother where not verry happy

Old 02-12-2020, 08:55 PM   #83
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

https://cowboycauldron.com/

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-12-2020, 09:03 PM   #84
Inthewoods
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I don't have much experience in neighbor's, but I figured after 6 pages I'd have a go at it.

First off...It's yer fault. Apparently yer approachable and that's why yer in this mess. I don't wish ta give offense, but for some random ta approach ya about cooking with fire and smoke, it's quite obvious he took ya fer Mr. F'ing Congeniality. I of course understand and I'm sympathetic...Who fires up their cooker and expects ta hear criticism and complaint?? And better, who stays up all night thinking about giving it??....that bastard next door, that's who.
Yer in a sort of "battle" here. And yer already on the defensive...why? Ya moved yer cookers...yer being accommodating, gregarious, a fine man....that next door chit heel is having a time of it, I'd wager!!!

Now look, yer accommodations...though admirable...are affecting yer smoke and meat infused pleasantries, they're not without blemish...because that old git is running amok in it! Forever tainted...

Like most battles not military in nature...yer evenly matched, which is poor planning. It's best ta tip the scales now.
If I understand correctly and I'm continuing under the assumption I am....it's ya and yer wife vs he and his. And this is the only neighbor that's frantic on yer porch Everytime the smoke starts? No third party taking their part?
....Then its clear what yer options are fer a win.
You are a accommodating, friendly, all around "nice guy" judging by yer actions...attractive quality's, I'm sure.
Yer neighbor is a nosey, no account f'ing eejit...not so attractive...I'd wager it's not as harmonious as it looks in public.
Ya will have ta befriend the wife...Ya have by yer own actions, desirable characteristics. And by yer earlier comments, I believe fer a smashing win you and...er "big boiler" will have ta take a hit fer the team... possibly multiple hits.

-D

Last edited by Inthewoods; 02-12-2020 at 09:11 PM..
Inthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2020, 09:55 PM   #85
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

I never know what he is saying^^^^

but I love it, always...

Old 02-12-2020, 10:04 PM   #86
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Sometimes, being a nice person isn't the best approach. I get it, I don't like being an a'hole either. I had a neighbor complain about me parking my car in front of my house. Of course, no one else ever complained to me or the other people who parked cars similarly. The thing was, I got home at a normal hour and left at a normal start to the day which meshed well with the a'holes daily ritual.

The thing was, he never complained about the 2-ton service truck that parked in another neighbor's driveway dripping mud and oil all over the place. Part of the difference was the time this hard working fellow got home and left each morning and, part of it was the intimidation and general gnarly demeanor he took with the busy body that continued to harass me.

After I moved away, I learned he turned in another neighbor for washing his car in the driveway and letting the soapy water run down the street to the drain. Oh, the environmental damage! When the ruler and camera came out to measure grass height for the city and to harass some other neighbors, I became somewhat concerned an ambulance and police might be needed.

Starting with the carrot is always the best approach but, sometimes you need the stick! Or at least a convincing threat of a BIG STICK!

All that being said, I hope a simple re-arrangement of your patio puts this whole issue to rest or, as in my case that they move away and the lady that moves in next door will ask you, just like me, if her wind chime disturbs you!

Old 02-12-2020, 10:19 PM   #87
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
I never know what he is saying^^^^

but I love it, always...
I think he said ,he needs to get in the pants of Mrs Grumpy. win her over that way.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:28 PM   #88
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

My A$$hole neighbor likes blowing smoke, problem is that it’s him burning huge bonfires of leaves and assorted wood debris in his backyard, usually when we haven’t had rain in two plus months and the city is under a burn ban. (Residential neighborhood) Even though he’s more than an acre away, I still get a light coat of ashes drifting into my swimming pool. I love the smell but don’t want to see my yard on fire!
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2020, 10:45 PM   #89
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plata-O-Plomo View Post

Friday I am hosting a small birthday party. I am thinking carne asada tacos and maybe Al Pastor. I am not sure yet. Either way, I am going to fire up a smoker and the green egg to grill.

As I rearranged the patio my patience waned. My a$$hole neighbor just lost all good cheer from me.

By the way, the Mighty Mighty Bruins are on TV tonight. Got to like that Perfection Line!
Just in case, write everything down ,times and dates.
It can prove you are trying to be obliging.
maybe keep a log on when your not home for a month or so

Old 02-13-2020, 01:26 AM   #90
VanSteel
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Van

I guess I'm lucky that my neighbors just come over to eat when the smoker is rolling.
VanSteel is offline   Reply With Quote