Social Distancing and Stay at Home Orders Have Created New Projects for Experimentation

IamMadMan

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
With people in a panic, I'd rather not go out into public anyway, so the Governor's Stay at Home Order doesn't bother me.

I look at it as an new opportunity to try to make something new and further my food skills.

I have started several batches of Limoncello using Meyer lemons, and Arancello using Cara-Cara oranges. Interesting flavors.

Next on the list is Melloncello, which uses the meat of the melon and is pureed and mixed with cold cream before serving.

I've also dabbled in making my own vinegar; pear, pineapple, apple and red wine vinegar. While not difficult, it can be tricky, if you don't keep up with the progression of the secondary fermentation. Again, such full flavors one could not even imagine. Some think the vinegar is much more acidic, but it only has a bolder flavor. The chemically produced vinegar we buy at the store register around 2.0 - 2.5 on the ph scale, where as my homemade vinegar registers a 4.2 - 4.0... 7.0 is neutral on the ph scale. So less acidic, but greater flavors, pineapple seems to be my favorite.

Anyone else delved into any new projects?

My wife normally cooks from scratch. Once we were stuck in the house she literally went through the cabinets and took inventory of what we had in stock. She has been cooking some old recipes that she hasn’t made in years and stuff she never made before.

I’m also having oddball meals just to use stuff up. My dinner tonight was the last slice of the pizza from Friday, and a leftover drumstick from Sunday. I haven’t eaten like this since college!

We had leftover sloppy joes for breakfast on Sunday. Surprisingly, sloppy joes make a great breakfast, and we plan to do that again!

My next door neighbor makes homemade wine, limenchello etc. I have plenty in stock.

Whoa, Meyer lemons... I think we only get the Eureka or Lisbon around me... Home made Limoncello might be out of my grasp but I'll follow this thread with envy :-D

Thanks,
Greg

Whoa, Meyer lemons... I think we only get the Eureka or Lisbon around me... Home made Limoncello might be out of my grasp but I'll follow this thread with envy :-D

Thanks,
Greg

Greg,

It's surprisingly simple, the hardest part is to use a very sharp peeler to just remove the outer zest later of the citrus. After a lemon or two you'll have it down pat.

Other than that, it is just waiting. 45 days for the lemon zest to release it's flavor into the alcohol. Then another 30 days for the flavors to mellow after you add the simple syrup.

You don't have to use Meyer lemons, which are nearing the end of seasonal availability. I've made two other batches, one using very small lemons, and one using normal everyday sized lemons. At some point I'll so a side by side taste test when all the batches are completed.

Some, like me, use Everclear, while other use vodka. Some say they don't like the taste of the vodka, but if you run a cheap vodka through an activated charcoal filter several times, it will be as smooth and tasteless as the high-end top shelf vodkas. I use this in lieu of water if I need to dilute potency of the final product.

I also buy my simple syrup from a bar supply; yes it's simple and I can make my own, but I use the commercial syrup for two reasons.
1) It's very well filtered and gives a clearer look to my product.
2) It has basic preservatives (ascorbic acid) for a longer shelf life.

Although I use sterilized bottles and refrigerate the Limoncello, the use of the commercial simple syrup also carries some of the preservative to my finished product.

Now that I have adjusted my techniques through trial and error, I'll be taking pictures in my next couple batches.

Sounds like you're making hooch, to me, MadMan. ;-))

I was going to go to Sam's today and pick up a full packer to grind up some burgers today but decided to stay home......today.

This should be a good thread.

Last edited:
Well, I haven't ventured into anything new...., but I've upped the ante with my curing and preserving. I've done two runs of double cold smoked bacon.

GaPuNcW.jpg

And I've adapted a new "no jar goes unfilled" philosophy on my canned meats. I've canned two batches of chicken breasts. I can get 7 pounds in 5 jars.

lJg8k17.jpg

And three batches of pork butt. One was hot packed with salt and pepper only, one was cold smoked then hot packed with pepper, the last batch was raw packed with salt and pepper. Today I'm doing another round of the cold smoked/hot packed pork. And I made extra broth with the blade bones, so I'll can a few pints of that too. And next up I'll be canning two corned beef briskets, about 8 pounds total.

aABNAZo.jpg

9t2K4zZ.jpg

Very interesting, might have to try it. I was thinking of making cordials with the down time. Same basic process, my favorite is pineapple.

Since I moved to Florida, I now can't get Everclear. I was going to go to Georgia and buy it but for now I'll try the filtered vodka method. I usually cut the Everclear to 80 proof.

Well, I haven't ventured into anything new...., but I've upped the ante with my curing and preserving. I've done two runs of double cold smoked bacon.

Wow, that looks GREAT.

I have never toyed with the idea of canning meat, but it's something i am going to read up on. I would guess you are using a pressure canner?

Wow, that looks GREAT.

I have never toyed with the idea of canning meat, but it's something i am going to read up on. I would guess you are using a pressure canner?

Yep, a pressure canner. It's funny I've never canned vegetables, fruits, jam or jelly. I only can fish, pork and chicken. And use a refrigerator mix for my pickled things.

Home made Limoncello might be out of my grasp but I'll follow this thread with envy :-D

Greg, It's EASY! Just need a sharp peeler to get just the zest & not the bitter pith. These were blood oranges. I use these for peeling everything. https://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-2784-Original-Peeler/dp/B001BCFTWU/

GVs22LCl.jpg

I use 4-5 oranges or 6-8 lemons. Depends on the size. For the booze part I use Polish Spirytus. 192 proof, you can use everclear or even vodka. If you use vodka, it'll take a lot longer to pull all the goodness from the zest because of the lower alcohol content.

PFmz6gvl.jpg

When done, into a bottle & add simple syrup. Dilute with water if you'd like, to your alcohol content of choice.

moCUQU8l.jpg

Just sip as is, or add some cream and it tastes just like a Dreamsicle.

iP0yKF5l.jpg

Johnathan (Sweetsmoke87) also makes it. He brought some to the Chicago Bash last summer. He also made some mintcello that I need to try making.

Next on the list is Melloncello, which uses the meat of the melon and is pureed and mixed with cold cream before serving.
Oohhh... That sounds good. May have to do some googling.

Sweetsmoke87 made some mintcello that I need to try making too.

My wife normally cooks from scratch. Once we were stuck in the house she literally went through the cabinets and took inventory of what we had in stock. She has been cooking some old recipes that she hasn’t made in years and stuff she never made before.

I’m also having oddball meals just to use stuff up. My dinner tonight was the last slice of the pizza from Friday, and a leftover drumstick from Sunday. I haven’t eaten like this since college!

We had leftover sloppy joes for breakfast on Sunday. Surprisingly, sloppy joes make a great breakfast, and we plan to do that again!

My next door neighbor makes homemade wine, limenchello etc. I have plenty in stock.

Left over Sloppy joe sandwich with a soft fried egg and a hashbrown = AMAZING breakfast! All that stuff ON the sandwich btw

Those finished bottles look great, what a bright color... I think I will give this a try! Thanks everyone for all the advice!

Thanks
Greg

Greg, It's EASY! Just need a sharp peeler to get just the zest & not the bitter pith. These were blood oranges. I use these for peeling everything. https://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-2784-Original-Peeler/dp/B001BCFTWU/

I use 4-5 oranges or 6-8 lemons. Depends on the size. For the booze part I use Polish Spirytus. 192 proof, you can use everclear or even vodka. If you use vodka, it'll take a lot longer to pull all the goodness from the zest because of the lower alcohol content.

PFmz6gvl.jpg

When done, into a bottle & add simple syrup. Dilute with water if you'd like, to your alcohol content of choice.

Just sip as is, or add some cream and it tastes just like a Dreamsicle.

iP0yKF5l.jpg

Johnathan (Sweetsmoke87) also makes it. He brought some to the Chicago Bash last summer. He also made some mintcello that I need to try making.

Looks great.... I like the thought of the orange creamsicle.

I used Cara-Cara Orange peeled orange zest. another 18 days to go to hit the 45 day mark for my infusion time.

What is your mixing ratio for simple syrup? I've been using the on-line Limoncello Calculator.

Back