Todays cook, need newb advice

bbqmike_ny

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I put a 5lb flat and 7lbs boston on around 8:30, the flat is already @ 160 (bbq @ 260) is it likely to stall at 170 for hours? it doesn't look dried out yet, I'm using a water pan.

The shoulder is only in the 120 range, I just flipped their positions thinking one side maybe a bit colder than the other. (I don't want to keep opening it to move the probe around.

A 5# brisket flat is unlikely to stall at any temp, that's a tricky small piece to Q. I'd be tempted to butcher paper wrap it at 170 and finish it in the oven. Then you can bumpthe smoker up to 300 to power the butt thru the stall and take til probe- tender all over. You can get away with a shorter rest on the butt, and the flat should be done awhile before, allowing a longer wrapped rest( which it will need). Good luck!

A 5# brisket flat is unlikely to stall at any temp, that's a tricky small piece to Q. I'd be tempted to butcher paper wrap it at 170 and finish it in the oven. Then you can bumpthe smoker up to 300 to power the butt thru the stall and take til probe- tender all over. You can get away with a shorter rest on the butt, and the flat should be done awhile before, allowing a longer wrapped rest( which it will need). Good luck!

In the oven around 250? I could do that, I'd rather get a good result even if it's not on the Q the whole time.

I did put it in the oven, and put the probe in the shoulder, it hit 170, and I bumped it up to 300. The flat is probe tender with a toothpick in the thin side, but still not in the fatter side, will give it some more time.

When checking a brisket for probe tender, whether it is a whole packer, or a flat, always probe it in the thickest part of the flat. Don't worry about the thinner areas. If that thickest part is done, the whole thing is done.

If I was going to finish a butt or brisket in the oven, I'd use 300-325.

When checking a brisket for probe tender, whether it is a whole packer, or a flat, always probe it in the thickest part of the flat. Don't worry about the thinner areas. If that thickest part is done, the whole thing is done.

If I was going to finish a butt or brisket in the oven, I'd use 300-325.

One thing I'm not sure of just how tender it "really" should be, I'm using a toothpick since my "probes" are fat and blunt. Its up to 212 now, kinda feel like taking it out and resting it but still wrapped tight.

Took the shoulder off already and am resting that, it was up to 192, and looked really good, tender everywhere.

Use your temperature probe to test for probe tender.

And probe tender would be like sticking the probe into a stick of warm butter. Very little resistance. Another analogy (which bludawg used) the first feeling of hot monkey love you got in the back of your 56 chevy at a drive in movie theatre

Should turned out well, brisket was a little dry, but tasty!

Attachments

• 2013-09-15 15.25.16.jpg
    2013-09-15 15.25.16.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 2013-09-15 15.29.56.jpg
    2013-09-15 15.29.56.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 57
is it common to get a bone shaped like this?

Attachments

• 2013-09-15 15.31.47.jpg
    2013-09-15 15.31.47.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 43
Yup thats the shoulder blade.

What I like is how clean it pulled out for you. That means perfect pulled most likely. When a competitor pulls that bone out like that its like pulling out a splinter. The relief is so awesome.

Brisket flats are tough. They will benefit with a foil wrap with some savory liquid. Helps them from drying out. A mop is always good too.

Back