Some thoughts on color

monty3777

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Today I cooked all the oddball thighs I have left after cooking all my trimmed chicken - so ignore the shapes if that's possible. However, could you offer some critique on color? Thanks!

DSC01236.jpg

Although close, they are a different hue then your table.

I like the color - table too

I think they're very pretty and appetizing. However, they're against a black and
then brown background, which tends to add richness & color. See how they look
with a stark white box with some greenery around them. This tends to wash out
color.

I think they look really good, but since you asked for comments, I would like to see a little more red in the final color.

Looks good! I like mine just a touch darker, but I wouldnt think twice about turning in chicken with that color either.

Oh boy!! I think i am in some deep doo-doo in the Bluffs cause that yardbird looks right tasty!! :thumb:

I think they look just fine. How were they before the saucing?

About half the red comes from the rub.
BTW, these tasted like a salt-lick. I tried a new rub for giggles and it didn't work out. Today was a real crappy practice. Chicken sucked, pork blew. I'm sure glad I didn't try that brisket!!

Monty thanks for that comment. For the first time ever, I signed up for two sanctioned qualifiers this summer, and I oscillate from pure excitment to sheer terror about a dozen times a day.

Seeing chicken like yours -- quite frankly -- scares the begeezus out of me, but I am going to soldier on...

I have been practing my arse off (my fridge is full of BBQ) and while I seem to nail a good cook from time to time... I keep getting fails that set my confidence back a couple of notches... just knowing that pros like you stumble from time to time helps restore some of that lost confidence. Thanks again for your honesty, man.

Monty thanks for that comment. For the first time ever, I signed up for two sanctioned qualifiers this summer, and I oscillate from pure excitment to sheer terror about a dozen times a day.

Seeing chicken like yours -- quite frankly -- scares the begeezus out of me, but I am going to soldier on...

I have been practing my arse off (my fridge is full of BBQ) and while I seem to nail a good cook from time to time... I keep getting fails that set my confidence back a couple of notches... just knowing that pros like you stumble from time to time helps restore some of that lost confidence. Thanks again for your honesty, man.

You're not going on that roller coaster alone. I know exactly what you are feeling. My first comp is a month from today. But one thing I have found. No matter how scared I get, I completely forget about that when I'm cookin'. Remember that awesome BBQ you where cookin when you weren't worried about getting it perfectly right? I'm not gonna worry about the judges and cook the BBQ like they aren't there. You know how to do it! If it turns out like crap at least you have food on the table and it was FUN!

Back