MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #8161
phileefan
Found some matches.

Hello Brothers,
Just about to start my 1st ubs and I've learned alot here so far. My question is it better to have one large exhaust on the lid or six or eight smaller holes to allow for the correct draw? Thanks.....
phileefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2011, 07:13 PM   #8162
worknomore
Got Wood.

Default Uds

Here is my UDS. Tomorrow I am going to cook some tri tips in it for the first cook out. Hope I get it right.
I also got the DigiQ DX controller and the adapter for the ball valve coming in the mail. Then I am all done with the project. I am very satisfied with the designing the builder put into it.

worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #8163
otis
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltrain View Post
...So the moral of this story - DON'T USES CHEAP CHARCOAL! And to be on the safe side, don't use bacon grease to season your drum.
Interesting. I've used bacon grease to season all 4 drums I've made and have had no issues. I don't think that's your issue.

And "cheap charcoal"? I use the cheap WallyWorld charcoal if I'm going to use briquettes. No nasty smell/aftertaste like Kingsford leaves. I prefer lump instead of the compressed stuff.

If anything, I'll second the idea that you're using way too much flavor wood.
otis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 09:11 AM   #8164
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phileefan View Post
Hello Brothers,
Just about to start my 1st ubs and I've learned alot here so far. My question is it better to have one large exhaust on the lid or six or eight smaller holes to allow for the correct draw? Thanks.....
Hey. I just posted a long message with some of that covered 1 or 2 pages ago. If you have 2" bung hole in the lid, with at least three 3/4 inch intake holes at bottom, that's totally good. If you want to experiment, make sure to do the math so that your exhaust is at least as much circular area as the 2" hole. (calculations posted in that long message.)

I happen to have currently a 3" hole coming out the side, and then I use 3" duct piping to make a smoke stack. I used a 24" pipe (after an elbow). It works too well; lots of draft. I will cut that pipe into two 6" sections. Sometimes on windy or cold days, I need more draft, or if I'm smoking over night as the temps and moisture change dramatically.

My friend has four 1" pipes on the sides, each one with an elbow and just 4" pipe going up. It works well for him. Four 1" open holes is same circular area as one 2" hole.
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #8165
Coltrain
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis View Post
Interesting. I've used bacon grease to season all 4 drums I've made and have had no issues. I don't think that's your issue.

And "cheap charcoal"? I use the cheap WallyWorld charcoal if I'm going to use briquettes. No nasty smell/aftertaste like Kingsford leaves. I prefer lump instead of the compressed stuff.

If anything, I'll second the idea that you're using way too much flavor wood.
I'm 95% sure it was the cheap charcoal - it even gave an off flavor when I used it to grill.

I keep reading that people put several "fist size" chunks of smoke wood in their basket - and though it may not look like it, I only had about one "fist size" amount of pieces in my basket, maybe a little more. When I was sifting through the remaining charcoal there were only 3 pinky to thumb size pieces of smoke wood that burned during the 3 hour run - all the others looked untouched. Do you think the smaller pieces would produce too much smoke? I've "over smoked" in my GOSM before and the smell was nothing like the ashtray smell in the drum. On my second run in the drum I used 1 fist size chunk of apple and 2 thumb size pieces of hickory and it worked out good - so who knows, it may have been too much smoke wood. I need to pick up a new bag of hickory chunks so I actually have "chunks" - I'm down to mostly thumb size pieces and smaller in my bag.

I'd really like to try using lump, but I figured the briquets would be easier to learn on, plus I stocked up during the last big sale at Home Depot.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:54 PM   #8166
USBLUES
Found some matches.

Iv'e been having the white smoke problem too but i thought it had something to do with moist coals becasue it had been raining so much lately. Last smoke i did was a chicken and I didn't put a drip pan in there so maybee the fat mixing with the coals was it......not sure but more and more im thinking i need to refine my Kingsford minion technic, its coming out way too smokey and not the good kind of smoke, its the creosote tasting smoke.
USBLUES is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 03:47 PM   #8167
borzwazie
Knows what a fatty is.

Default so, finally finished my UDS

Here's my (blurry) UDS. A former apple juice barrel with a yellow liner. Removed the liner with a combination of wire wheel and burn.

One 3/4" vent at the rear with a screw-on cap, welded in, home-built sliding vent at the front with an 1-3/4" vent hole made from aluminum sheet I had lying around. Bent and shaped with a hammer, cutoff wheel, and a bench vise.

Charcoal basket is #9 expanded steel wrapped around a charcoal grate from a $25 Big Lots 22.5" grill, wired on with coathanger wire and welded along the seam (oxyfuel torch). 16" pizza pan for an ash pan. It seems fairly large to me, so it should hold plenty of charcoal for long burns.

The lid is also from the Big Lots grill, fits like a glove. No mods needed. I may re-use the wheels and legs from the Big Lots grill to put wheels on this thing, but I don't need 'em for now, I can use my dolly if I have to move it around.

Sanded the whole thing, sprayed the outside with high-temp paint.

Thermometer (not pictured) is a turkey fryer thermo from Walmart. Dropped it in boiling water to test, came up pretty darn close.

I only have a single grill in it for now, also from the Big Lots grill. I may add a second grill later.

Thanks for the thread, it was very instructive! I'm on-call to work on the 4th, so I'm stuck at home. I'll make the most of it with a maiden voyage of the UDS, a fatty, and maybe a pork shoulder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110630_100056.jpg (24.2 KB, 1009 views)
borzwazie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 04:12 PM   #8168
CenTech
On the road to being a farker

So....this lid fit perfectly with no mods necessary? I may have to check out Big Lots. Does your barrel have the lip on it?

Old 06-30-2011, 04:46 PM   #8169
borzwazie
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTech View Post
So....this lid fit perfectly with no mods necessary? I may have to check out Big Lots. Does your barrel have the lip on it?
Yes, it does. I should note that not all barrels are created equal! I got a lid and a locking ring for this barrel, but they didn't fit - too large.

I did shorten and re-weld the locking ring, as I had considered using the bottom half of the Big Lots grill as a bottom for the UDS - it has a vent built in. I decided the UDS would end up too tall as a result, so I didn't use it. I'll find some other use for it later, I'm a terrible packrat.
borzwazie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #8170
chico4missions
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default 2nd UDS

First let me say I'm the farthest thing from a Raiders fan. In fact, I'm a diehard Bronco fan; however, I do have a very close friend who is a Raider fan and thought this would be a great birthday present. This is my 2nd UDS build. My personal UDS is emphasizes on the "U" in UDS.

The handle is a Ham bone with multiple clear coats.

Tell me what ya think!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0772b.jpg (217.3 KB, 935 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0773b.jpg (136.4 KB, 932 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0774b.jpg (206.4 KB, 932 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0775b.jpg (228.5 KB, 933 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0777b.jpg (218.1 KB, 929 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0761b.jpg (222.1 KB, 928 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0771b.jpg (280.7 KB, 928 views)
chico4missions is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 10:47 PM   #8171
chico4missions

Oh, i forgot... Thanks to all the help and great info on this forum!!!
chico4missions is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #8172
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USBLUES View Post
Iv'e been having the white smoke problem too but i thought it had something to do with moist coals becasue it had been raining so much lately. Last smoke i did was a chicken and I didn't put a drip pan in there so maybee the fat mixing with the coals was it......not sure but more and more im thinking i need to refine my Kingsford minion technic, its coming out way too smokey and not the good kind of smoke, its the creosote tasting smoke.
Typically you don't want a drip pan in a UDS. The wonderful meaty goodness falls onto the fire and creates more moisture and flavor and some smoke. It's not bad flavor at all, so preventing the meaty goodness from falling into the fire is not a problem. Something else.

Perhaps you guys needed to clean out the sides of the barrel more? Or maybe indeed you've got some unwanted fuel burning.

BTW, if you air flow is not good, you'll add to the creosote development. And it also increases with certain weather conditions. Mostly, if you don't have enough draft pulling air through, it could be a problem. And certainly once in a while you have to clean out your UDS. I have to "service mine" now actually. :) Though nothing ever comes out tasting bad from it. I have a smoke stack that pulls the air and just keeps the meaty goodness coming. :)

Oh.. and when I smoke chicken, I actually bring it a little lower to the fire, and smoke it at like 350 degrees. Makes the skin nice and crispy and the chicken still comes out amazing.
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #8173
BuckHunter83

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv3ctiv3 View Post

What length bolts did you use to hold your top rack? I am going to install a second cooking rack in my uds this weekend. Also, how far apart are your two cooking racks?

Thanks!
BuckHunter83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2011, 09:57 PM   #8174
thunderwagn
Full Fledged Farker

Chico, love the handle man Top notch

Old 07-02-2011, 04:36 PM   #8175
bluesninja
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default Heat Diffuser or Not?

I'm building my first UDS next week and I see a few designs with a Heat Diffuser and Water pan between the firebox and the cooking great, but most designs do not. Is this just personal necessary or personal preference?
bluesninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker