MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:36 AM   #1
biffster2001
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Advice please butt cook time 8.5#

Hello all. Looking for some advice on how hot to cook a 8.5 lb butt that needs to be ready in 10 hours. I'm starting at 265...starting cook thread also.

Thanks
biffster2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2014, 07:13 AM   #2
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

To be certain I'd want it at least 275+. But, if you are worried and have other tasks that need done and don't want the hassle grab some HD foil. Crank her to 300-325. When the butt gets to a color you want(usually around an internal temp of 165ish and 3 hours), double wrap it and throw it back on the smoker. You can go higher in temp to 350 if ya want to now. It should be done and probe tender in around 4-6 hours total depending on your temps.

Throw it wrapped in foil in an empty cooler filled with towels to kill the empty space to rest till your BBQ is needed. I've had them stay HOT for several hours like this. BTW, this rest period really helps the BBQ IMO. The juices redistribute a bit and I believe that they take the smokey flavor a bit deeper into the meat.
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2014, 07:18 AM   #3
Dadeo719
is one Smokin' Farker

^^^^ Yep ^^^^ no other way IMHO now

Old 06-15-2014, 07:27 AM   #4
biffster2001

If I cook at 275+ unwrapped is that enough time? Or is the wrap the best bet at getting done in time .

Thanks for above advice

Old 06-15-2014, 07:34 AM   #5
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

I cook them hot and fast when time is short 325 until 190+ internal, i never wrap, like the dark bark when mixed in with the rest of the meat
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2014, 07:45 AM   #6
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffster2001 View Post
If I cook at 275+ unwrapped is that enough time? Or is the wrap the best bet at getting done in time .

Thanks for above advice
275 IMO will be in that daredevil area of getting finished on time if you don't wrap. If you don't wanna wrap and don't have much sugar in your rub you can take her to 300-325 without much problem at all.

However, reading your other thread I see this is for tacos. Wrapping and cooking with a little of your taco seasoning inside and then resting when done can make for some outstanding results.
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2014, 08:20 AM   #7
biffster2001

Thanks for the help. Think I will go to 300 I have a low amount of brown sugar in rub.
And end with a wrap. and cooler rest