• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Deep-Frying Turkeys for clients

H

huckjr

Does anyone here know if a 35qt pot can handle a 22pound turkey?

Not sure its recommended to do one that big in a deep fryer,, I believe most if not all recommend no bigger than 14 pounds,,,,I could be mistaken thou. I've done allot of them,,but none ever that big,,,

I have a 60 (or 80) quart fryer pot I bought at Costco several years ago. I have fried 22-24lb. turkeys several times, they used to be what we got each year from our employer.

I have never fried one under 20 lbs.
325 deg. for 3 1/2 minutes per pound.

NUTZ

Ok, just for you guys, I walked out to the garage in the rain to check. My pot is 40 quart and measures 15 " tall and 15" wide. When I fry mine I work my hand between the skin and breast. This will form a large pocket. I then put my rub between the skin and the breast meat. I also make about a 1" cut on the leg, work in my index finger and stuff more rub in there. I no longer inject.
By doing this the rub does not wash off when putting it in the oil and the flavor goes right into the meat. It also make the oil last longer (cleaner). I can fry about 6 birds before dumping the oil. I have fried over 50 birds this way.

NUTZ

I wouldn't try one that big in such a small pot. We did a 17 pounder in a 30qt pot, and it turned into quite the oil fountain! I don't think I'd go for anything larger than a 14# in that pot. If you have a 60 qt, on the other hand, I'd say you'd be fine

Ok, just for you guys, I walked out to the garage in the rain to check. My pot is 40 quart and measures 15 " tall and 15" wide. When I fry mine I work my hand between the skin and breast. This will form a large pocket. I then put my rub between the skin and the breast meat. I also make about a 1" cut on the leg, work in my index finger and stuff more rub in there. I no longer inject.
By doing this the rub does not wash off when putting it in the oil and the flavor goes right into the meat. It also make the oil last longer (cleaner). I can fry about 6 birds before dumping the oil. I have fried over 50 birds this way.

NUTZ

I've fried about a dozen this season (plan on doing a couple more over the next week) before throwing the oil out. It's not pretty, but the last couple of birds came out just fine.

FWIW, the 22lb. bird ought to fit. I use a fry basket in my pot and it has plenty of room for a bigger bird (without the fry basket...there'd be a ton of room in there).

My friends and I have done hundreds of the birds, never over 12/14 lbs, the main reason I would prefer doing two smaller birds instead of a large bird, you can experiment with different injections or rubs. For your size kettle it is really at its limit, be very sure that the bird is dry, as a previous post had a turkey ass volcano. Take your time lowering the bird in the oil, but try to get a smaller bird...

I will be frying another one for Christmas eve (wife's family). It is on the "Tree" in the fridge since Monday. Nice dry skin. If you remove the free moisture you won't get the "Volcano". No frying basket, plenty of room in the pot. Just in case, you always must turn off the fire before slowly lowering in the Turkey (No open flames, no fire from overflowing oil). After cooking, shut off the fire before removing the Turkey. Once again, no fire danger without an ignition source.

NUTZ

I will be frying another one for Christmas eve (wife's family). It is on the "Tree" in the fridge since Monday. Nice dry skin. If you remove the free moisture you won't get the "Volcano". No frying basket, plenty of room in the pot. Just in case, you always must turn off the fire before slowly lowering in the Turkey (No open flames, no fire from overflowing oil). After cooking, shut off the fire before removing the Turkey. Once again, no fire danger without an ignition source.

NUTZ

yup

GREAT advice.

TURN OFF THE FLAME WHEN ADDING OR REMOVING THE TURKEY!!!!!

Back