MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:12 AM   #1
Black Dog BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Sausage Stuffed Pork Loin

I had some of this at fundraising event a while back. It was cooked by a local club and it was great. I have been contemplating making a stab at it soon. Can any of you give me some input on technique? Like how in the heck you get the sausage in there to start with? Temps.? Foil? Rubs?

Any input will be greatly appreciated!
(2) UDS
Jenair Gasser
Black Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

are you talking about pork loin with a cased sausage in middle? or butterflied and bulk sausage spread on it then rolled and tied????

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #3
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Do you mean like this?

http://thebbqgrail.com/2008/the-inte...ing-pork-loin/

Here's one I did at the Memphis In May World BBQ Championship Celebrity Grill-off last year...

The process is simple. Using a long thin bladed knife, cut a slit down the middle of the loin. Insert a partially FROZEN italian sausage. Tie off the end and cook as you would a normal loin. It's best to do the prep work the night before so the sausage has time, in the fridge, to thaw out before cooking.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

I'd stop right here and just do what Larry did.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
Black Dog BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Yes! That's it!
(2) UDS
Jenair Gasser

Old 01-14-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
Black Dog BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
Do you mean like this?

http://thebbqgrail.com/2008/the-inte...ing-pork-loin/

Here's one I did at the Memphis In May World BBQ Championship Celebrity Grill-off last year...

The process is simple. Using a long thin bladed knife, cut a slit down the middle of the loin. Insert a partially FROZEN italian sausage. Tie off the end and cook as you would a normal loin. It's best to do the prep work the night before so the sausage has time, in the fridge, to thaw out before cooking.
Man that looks awesome! Making my stomach growl!
(2) UDS
Jenair Gasser

Old 01-14-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

my only concern with using uncooked sausage is, by the time the sausage is safely cooked, the rest of the loin would be way overcooked , IMO. Any thoughts on this? Even when butterflying and spreading sausage/filling on the loin, then rolling and tying, I always pre-cook the sausage.

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
lionhrt
is one Smokin' Farker

Larry that look unbeleavable. I would hit that 6 ways from Sunday

Old 01-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #9
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatnut View Post
my only concern with using uncooked sausage is, by the time the sausage is safely cooked, the rest of the loin would be way overcooked , IMO. Any thoughts on this? Even when butterflying and spreading sausage/filling on the loin, then rolling and tying, I always pre-cook the sausage.
Never been a problem for me. I do this all the time. Never had a raw sausage and I'm never had overcooked pork.

Pork sausage cooked until 145 degrees is good to go. Pork loin cooked to 145 degrees is good to go. Together great. By pre-cooking the sausage you render out all the juices. The purpose of this technique is to have the juices baste from the inside out with those juices.

When butterflying a loin and then filling, rolling and tying you are looking for a particular flavor profile and not as much concerned with the internal basting technique. If I were doing it this way, I would also pre-cook the sausage.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote