MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Kinda pissed about new judges

Viejas 2008 was the biggest contest ever in the state of California. They had a judges class on Friday. Most of the people in that class ended up as judges in this historic contest. 45% of the judges were brand new this was their first contest. TOY, ROY and a $6500.00 GC were on the line, this is the last contest of the season for us and this rookies are giving out 3's in taste and 4's in tenderness.

Do you think rookies should be allowed to cut their teeth in big contests with so much on the line when they really have no concept of what goes into creating competitions BBQ?

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Similar thing happened the last time we competed in Modesto. There was a judging class the day before and many of the judges were from the class. Scores that weekend were all over the place. Maybe things would have worked out the same with all seasoned judging, maybe not. But the point is that it seems to be unfair to some folks.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:38 PM   #3
Bigmista

I was in the top 10 in brisket every contest I cooked in this year. I get to this contest and I get a 4 and 5's in tenderness? I've never made a brisket that tough in my life!

Is a 4 "it takes two wild horses to pull it apart" or "better break out the chop saw"?

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott

Old 10-19-2008, 12:40 PM   #4
motoeric
Babbling Farker

What were the alternatives? Did they have experienced judges that they were turning away?

Sometimes you have to play the hand that you are dealt. If the organizers didn't have other judges to fill the ranks then their options were limited.

On the other hand, if they withheld certain spots in order to have an incentive for people to take the judging class and used those reserved spots for brand new judges at the expense of more experienced people, that's a problem.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
/dev/bbq
Knows what a fatty is.

New judges tend to differentiate more - they're trying to reward the entries that really stood out in their minds, or fit the criteria they were taught in class. It makes for more varying scores, but a 9 is still a 9...

-ralph
/dev/bbq
CBJ #21235
/dev/bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
MilitantSquatter

Mista - I understand where you are coming from but I don't think it's fair to point fingers at the judges.

Someone's BBQ was good enough to get lots of 8's & 9's and were worthy of GC and were evaluated by the same pool of judges. If anything, blame the organizers for the inability to recruit enough experienced judges and still accept the # of teams they did for a big contest, or for holding a class immediately before the contest etc.

I think there are lots of contests like this especially in growing areas.. Northeast is somewhat like this as well. I could only guess how many inexperienced judges were judging the AR Open with 500 teams.

Don't stress it.. Hopefully you had fun and you nail another 10 ten in your first contest for 2009.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2008, 02:04 PM   #7
warfrat
On the road to being a farker

I recently attended an FBA judges seminar and also judged a competition (though it was a funcook) the following day. I don't know how your scoring system works but if you give anything below a six in FBA there has to be something really, really bad wrong...you even have to inform the head judge as to why you scored that low. I'm sure I'll take some heat on this but my stance is that no - rookie judges are probably not the best to judge a comp. of that stature. Given- you can get a low score from a veteran judge just as easy as a rookie but from a rookie standpoint I can tell you that unless a judge is experienced and has actually competed in a contest or tried to cook competition quality BBQ at home they have absolutely no idea the kind of time and preparation that goes into what's in those turn in boxes. Appearance is one thing but tenderness is something that is mastered by many hours of practice! I recently got a new smoker and started trying to cook the four different categories at home. I thought I was a pretty decent cook but my stuff is crap compared to the food I sampled judging my first event, which makes me appreciate a good or great entry even more now! just my 2 cents...
Lang 36
warfrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2008, 02:06 PM   #8
eurycea
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
Do you think rookies should be allowed to cut their teeth in big contests with so much on the line when they really have no concept of what goes into creating competitions BBQ?
I don't think its a bad thing to have rookie judges as long as the reps try to keep the same number of rookies at each table.
eurycea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #9
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat View Post
I can tell you that unless a judge is experienced and has actually competed in a contest or tried to cook competition quality BBQ at home they have absolutely no idea the kind of time and preparation that goes into what's in those turn in boxes.
Until a sanctioning body includes a new evaluation category of 'Amount of Effort' for judging, how much time and prep that goes into a teams food is irrelevant for the purposes of scoring.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2008, 03:04 PM   #10
Jaybird

I understand your pain Neil. Our Pork was off the charts......and we hit that wrong table and wound up 37th. Two judges at that table hit us hard while the other 4 loved it. It kept us out of the big money for sure. Oh well, that's the way this game goes....but I do feel your pain.
It's the way that you roll!"
:butt:
Jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2008, 03:25 PM   #11
warfrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
Until a sanctioning body includes a new evaluation category of 'Amount of Effort' for judging, how much time and prep that goes into a teams food is irrelevant for the purposes of scoring.

Eric
What I mean is that you can't just run out to the local grocery store get some meat throw it on the grill and turn out quality comp. BBQ. (at least I can't anyways) If that's the only type of BBQ a rookie judge has ever had, they don't really have a lot to compare to. I'm sure some teams have more elaborate prep and cooking efforts than others and I'm not saying that their "effort" is relevant to how good or bad the results are. Also, cooking on a time schedule where everything has to be turned in at certain times and look,taste and feel are at their best is different than a Sat.afternoon cook for a few buddies in the backyard and thus takes a little more effort in the "attention to detail" department. BTW- no offense intended to rookie judges (I'm one of them)
Lang 36
warfrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2008, 03:25 PM   #12
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

So "big" contests deserve "better" judging??????

First off lots of contests each year have a judging class on Thursday evening and those folks get to judge Saturday. That's how it usually works.

Second what 's the difference from a small 30 team contest and a "big" one that the big one should have different judges? Be thankful that they had some training and were not dragged in off the midway at the fair or some other scenario.

Last thing - how do you know the "new" judges gave out the 4's? Maybe it was a P.O.'d long time judge. You're making an assumption here and we all know what an assumption.

I can't believe I just defended judging. For the record more training is needed as is a compulsory 1 hour review before every contest. But nobody at the KCBS agrees with me so I guess I'm in the minority.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:41 PM   #13
Bigmista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
So "big" contests deserve "better" judging??????
Yes I believe their should be more experienced judging at bigger contests. They don't send rookie refs to the Superbowl or the NBA Championship because there is too much at stake to leave a decision up to someon with no experience.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott

Old 10-19-2008, 04:44 PM   #14
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
Yes I believe their should be more experienced judging at bigger contests. They don't send rookie refs to the Superbowl or the NBA Championship because there is too much at stake to leave a decision up to someon with no experience.
Well, it is the system you signed up to compete under, and I'd love to hear your proposal for a fix...
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2008, 05:03 PM   #15
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey guys I think Mista needs a hug
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]

Last edited by Sledneck; 02-27-2009 at 09:45 AM..
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote