High Heat Brisket

GrillinFool

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I realize that the thought of grilling a brisket in these temps sounds a lot like a root canal without anesthesia. The high heat method (which is really a misnomer as the temps are 300-350, but high heat sounds better than medium heat) will allow you to do one of these in less than 6 hours, depending on the size of the brisket rather than starting in the middle of the night to serve by 3 the next day.

Even six hours sounds like a lot considering it is 7 degrees where I'm at right now. What's that to the Brethren, right? And this is one of those things where you start the grill by standing in the cold for a couple of minutes. A little while later put the meat and some smoke wood on which takes all of 2 minutes. Come back for periodic check ups, add a little mop sauce, more fuel or smoke wood as needed and head back inside after 3 minutes in the cold.

Make a couple at once and use the second one for chili the next day. Brisket chili is amazing.

This was done by BBQ Brethren, King, a regular contributor here and to my site. The guy does amazing stuff on the grill, and the best photographer of the group of us.

So, here are the step by step, picture by picture instructions. And here's pictures that make me crave brisket:

P1040822.jpg

P1040874.jpg

P1040922.jpg

And the full recipe, sans pics of every step of the way, for the link averse:

The Grillin Fools are big fans of the high heat method of smoking pork butts/shoulder, brisket, and ribs. It’s a bit of a misnomer in that instead of doing it low and slow at say, 200-225 for many hours, we kick up the heat to between 300-350 and cook these things in much less time with great results. It’s more like medium heat method, but that doesn’t sound as good as high heat. Let me hand it off to Arthur Aguirre as he took a combination of a couple of brisket recipes on our site and made this at my suggestion for a party he was having where he didn’t want to get up at 4:00 am to have a brisket ready by 3:00 pm.

On a warm mid-October weekend, I was chillin over at Scott’s house for some grillin and college football thrillin. He smoked some awesome chipotle pork tenderloin and a meatloaf. The Original GrillinFool was even kind enough to let me take some leftovers home to make some tenderloin sammie’s. He wasn’t at all like the pompous imbecile his buddies painted him to be (they don’t read this right?). Anyway, I told him about a brisket I’d be doing for the first time on my son’s birthday and I needed a good recipe. He recommended the combination of two recipes from this site. A couple days later, he sent me this modified recipe. I was psyched to try it and knowing it comes from the OGF himself, these recipes are tried and trusted methods.
Grillin Fool’s Brisket:

Ingredients:

5lb trimmed brisket (flat)

Trimmed side:

Fat Cap side:

Marinade:

Mustard – Dijon and sweet & hot stone ground:

Rub:

Plowboy bovine bold and Montreal seasoning (But you can use your favorite rub or rubs):

Mop:

1 cup white vinegar
1 cup beer
1 tbsp garlic salt
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp black pepper

Instructions:

Marinade in mustard for 2 days:

***Editor’s note ~ You can extend the marinade time to 4 or even 5 days. The longer it marinates, the longer the vinegar in the mustard can work its magic***

Apply rub.

Set smoker for 300-350 and put in some apple wood.

Put the brisket in a disposable aluminum pan (fat cap down):

***Editor’s note ~ There is a lot of debate on fat cap up or fat cap down. I don’t think there is any difference unless using a mop sauce. The mop sauce will not penetrate the fat cap. It will only run over the short sides of the brisket and thus have very little impact if the cap is up. Go fat cap down and let the flavored mop sauce baste the meat***

Smoke for an hour before mopping so the rub sets and sticks before mopping. Brisket at the 1 hour mark:

Be careful with the first mopping that you really only drizzle on the sauce as you will wipe the rub right off at this point if you really pour it on thick – if you do, reapply more rub. Mop every 30 minutes.

At the 2 hour mark:

At the 3 hour mark:

At about 4 hours, mop liberally and cover with foil to steam in the mop sauce and its own juices:

After 5.5 hours of total cook time, it got to 200 degrees internal temp, I pulled it, wrapped it tightly in foil, then placed it in the oven to rest for at least an hour. I waited an hour and a half before I started to slice it:

I started slicing from the right side of the smoked beef. While slicing the brisket with my electric knife, the teeth marks of the blade were seen on the meat. Also, tiny fibers of meat were shredding off and not much liquid was oozing out of it, my first thought was the brisket was dry:

One third of the brisket was this way, I ate a slice and my thoughts were confirmed. However, as I kept slicing I saw more liquid coming out of the meat. When I reached just short of halfway through the beef, it was all money from there. Juicy, tender slices of smoked brisket ecstasy was achieved:

I used the reserved juice at the bottom of the foil pan to re-hydrate the tougher slices of meat. Nobody even knew the difference.

I don’t know what I could have done differently to prevent that small portion from drying out. The thing about BBQ is that it may never happen the same way twice. I could do the exact same recipe and get a different result. I’m not discouraged at all. In hindsight, I could have pulled the meat off a little earlier or let it cook longer, but would the other side been just as tender and juicy? Maybe or maybe not…that’s BBQ.

***Editor’s note ~ Maybe rotate the pan ever hour to try to make sure it cooks evenly? Maybe pull it a little sooner? Maybe that dry section of the brisket was much leaner than the other side? Just a couple of thoughts. Brisket is a fickle beast***

The brisket turned out fantastic. For as much food that was at the party, only a few slices of brisket were leftover to make a pot a chili. In addition, the whole process was an absolute time saver. I have to admit, I was skeptical of this hot and fast BBQ theory, but it works. There would have been no way to get all that work done for a party and tend the grills had I done the low and slow method. With that said, I still want to try the low and slow method when I have a day to do nothing but BBQ, and do it with a bigger brisket.

Nice...I am a big fan of HH briskets myself! :thumb:

The brisket is my next goal. I've gotten ribs, pulled pork, chicken and turkey down pat but have yet to conquer the brisket. And to be honest and without sounding like a farking pansy the brisket is kind of intimidating to me.

I've done ONE in my bbq'n lifetime and it turned out tough. In retrospect I don't think it was done. But regardless it was a complete failure. But now I'm ready to set out to conquer the brisket. :boxing: I just don'e know if I need to begin with the low and slow method or just dive in and attempt the HH method. Any advice from the brethren would be greatly appreciated. :thumb:

I've done a lot of HH briskets myself, and that looks like a good one!:cool: I don't HH any more...but I may give it a go again soon. I have some things I want to try.

The brisket is my next goal. I've gotten ribs, pulled pork, chicken and turkey down pat but have yet to conquer the brisket. And to be honest and without sounding like a farking pansy the brisket is kind of intimidating to me.

I've done ONE in my bbq'n lifetime and it turned out tough. In retrospect I don't think it was done. But regardless it was a complete failure. But now I'm ready to set out to conquer the brisket. :boxing: I just don'e know if I need to begin with the low and slow method or just dive in and attempt the HH method. Any advice from the brethren would be greatly appreciated. :thumb:

Brisket is a very fickle beast. Very, and it is intimidating till you get it down. You know how I mastered it? I made it 4 times in a 5 week span to perfect it. My family and friends were so sick of brisket by the time I did the fourth one that I ate a little to make sure it was perfect and then used the rest for chili the next day.

Just remember that foiling is your friend and an internal therm is a must for newbies.

So what you are saying is... let me make this clear... that a brisket can be cooked at some other temp than 225? Lower is even better.. like 150. Cook that sucker for days is the best and only way. Coking at 350??? Hah! Sure, if ya want shoe leather. Sure, if ya want to ruin a good peice of meat. Sure if you want to eat a meteorite. I suppose you are going to slather it with ketchup at the end.

I totally agree that Internal temperature is the ONLY way to tell if a brisket is done also. Since every brisket is done at the precise same internal. What the hell else could you use... feel? Also... anyone that would cook a brisket without foil is asking for trouble too.

So what you are saying is... let me make this clear... that a brisket can be cooked at some other temp than 225? Lower is even better.. like 150. Cook that sucker for days is the best and only way. Coking at 350??? Hah! Sure, if ya want shoe leather. Sure, if ya want to ruin a good peice of meat. Sure if you want to eat a meteorite. I suppose you are going to slather it with ketchup at the end.

I totally agree that Internal temperature is the ONLY way to tell if a brisket is done also. Since every brisket is done at the precise same internal. What the hell else could you use... feel? Also... anyone that would cook a brisket without foil is asking for trouble too.
I knew you'd come around eventually!:laugh:

Can someone please enlighten me on this shtick?

Can someone please enlighten me on this shtick?
Donnie has a way of introducing himself to people.:crazy:

He is a proponent of high heat briskets. I believe sarcasm is supposed to be oozing out of every line there.

Although...he also thinks you can boil a good brisket!:laugh:

Oh no, now I'm the one causing trouble.:tsk: I'm going to the penalty box now.:doh:

Just an FYI, I like cooking my briskets around 275, which technically is also high heat...higher than 225 that is. Some folks believe 225 is BBQ, and anything over that is something else. Donnie is just trying to irritate those folks with his remarks. We all have our own beliefs I suppose.:rolleyes:

NEver mind, you know what, I'll let Donnie speak for himself. Although, he'll probably just pi$$ a lot of people off. Like I said...he has a way with people.:becky: Kind of like those playful puppies that bite really hard and you want to smack them against the wall.:laugh:

Donnie has a way of introducing himself to people.:crazy:

He is a proponent of high heat briskets. I believe sarcasm is supposed to be oozing out of every line there.

Although...he also thinks you can boil a good brisket!:laugh:

Oh no, now I'm the one causing trouble.:tsk: I'm going to the penalty box now.:doh:

Just an FYI, I like cooking my briskets around 275, which technically is also high heat...higher than 225 that is. Some folks believe 225 is BBQ, and anything over that is something else. Donnie is just trying to irritate those folks with his remarks. We all have our own beliefs I suppose.:rolleyes:

NEver mind, you know what, I'll let Donnie speak for himself. Although, he'll probably just pi$$ a lot of people off. Like I said...he has a way with people.:becky: Kind of like those playful puppies that bite really hard and you want to smack them against the wall.:laugh:
OK, that makes sense. Wanted to make sure before I jumped in on this. Thanks for the heads up...

I'm a huge advocate of low and slow (GF is well aware of that). However, this is yet another example that HH works, especially in practical applications such as getting ready for a party at the zoo that I call my house. My next brisket will be lo and slo, I just need a day to do nothing but Q.

Bama - This was my very first brisket ever! It wasn't perfect, some of it was dry. But it all tasted great. I recommend that a HH brisket is a good start for a beginner because once I get the basics of the brisket, then I'll be able to handle the lo and slo method. It would suck if I start out smoking a brisket for 10hrs on the first try and for all that work it doesn't come out good.

Anyone every tried doing a HH Brisket on a weber kettle? I'd be very interested in trying it out. Any tips would be greatly apprciated!

i agree...I dont even cook a low and slow brisket anymore...I tend to put the brisket on as soon as the smoker is started and let the cyberq bring it up to about 225 slowly..I will cook him an hour or so (from the time I put it on the cooker) and then ramp temp up to about 300 and let it go from there...my last one was a 19lber that I foiled (gasp!...I hardly ever foil, but I did this one) at 180....it still took 9 hours...most of mine are 11-12lbs and done in a little over 6 hours though...no more 20 hour brisket cooks for me

Back