MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #76
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Still lookin' good! Keep up the good work. I've been followin' this one from the beginning!
* XL [COLOR=seagreen]BGE[/COLOR] *Charbroil offset (cheapo) and a *[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125966"]project in the making 6' long x 28" diameter offset[/URL] [COLOR=red]<<<[/COLOR]Take a look!
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #77
TTNuge
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bears BBQ View Post
Pretty cool looks like a lot of work .......
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ View Post
Still lookin' good! Keep up the good work. I've been followin' this one from the beginning!

Thanks guys. It has been a lot of work, probably more than I anticipated, but well worth it. I hope it cooks as well as the commercially available ones because it will be so much more satisfying having built it myself even if it doesn't look as pretty.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #78
Randbo
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks really nice so far. I see the holes in the back for the smoke to exhaust up the smoke stack. I understand how the stoker hooks up to the pipe nipple on the side also. Maybe a stupid question but how dose the heat from the firebox get into the main chamber? I don't see any openings for that?

Old 03-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #79
TTNuge
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randbo View Post
Looks really nice so far. I see the holes in the back for the smoke to exhaust up the smoke stack. I understand how the stoker hooks up to the pipe nipple on the side also. Maybe a stupid question but how dose the heat from the firebox get into the main chamber? I don't see any openings for that?
It comes up through the walls. Each wall has 3 layers to it. You have the metal that makes the inside of the smoking cabinet, then a 1" air gap, another piece of sheet metal, 1" of insulation, then the outer skin. The inner metal stops a couple inches short of the top so the smoke/heat travels up the walls, comes out the top, has to drop down to the holes in the bottom, up and out.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #80
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Nice Work
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #81
Randbo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNuge View Post
It comes up through the walls. Each wall has 3 layers to it. You have the metal that makes the inside of the smoking cabinet, then a 1" air gap, another piece of sheet metal, 1" of insulation, then the outer skin. The inner metal stops a couple inches short of the top so the smoke/heat travels up the walls, comes out the top, has to drop down to the holes in the bottom, up and out.
I see it now. Thanks for clearing that up for me. So it is a vertical reverse flow smoker. Very cool.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #82
TTNuge
Full Fledged Farker

I need to put the fiberglass gasket on the doors tonight before I can mount them. Any advice on where I should put the seam/splice of the gasket? On a corner, bottom, side, top, etc? Don't think it will matter much but maybe there's something I'm not thinking of.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #83
TTNuge
Full Fledged Farker

Smoke is so close I can taste it!!!

We have doors

Latches

Seals up nice n tight. Not anticipating and leaks

Hoping for initial burn sometime this weekend!! I can't wait!!

Old 03-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #84
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

What a great build! Hoping for some cook pron from ya this weekend myself!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #85
surferdude
Got Wood.

Where did you get the latches TTNuge?
surferdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2012, 09:57 PM   #86
TTNuge
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude View Post
Where did you get the latches TTNuge?
McMaster Carr. Got the insulation and door gasket there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #87
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

I know I just saw it in person two days ago, but it looks much different with the doors on! Hope you get it fired up this weekend.

The Beast: 500 Gallon Homemade Reverse Flow
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187401[/url]
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #88
BadHorsieBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Awesome craftsmanship and a awesome build.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #89
TTNuge
Full Fledged Farker

No pron yet and when I stopped tonight my SS water pan wasn't ready so that bummed me out a bit. Guy said he'd probably get to it tomorrow but I may not be able to make it to his shop before he closes for the weekend.

Either way I plan on doing at least a seasoning smoke this weekend. Maybe I'll do a biscuit test as well. Was hoping to do some ribs or something but that can wait. Once I'm sure it's good to go I'll spend next week on cleaning, prepping and painting so it'll be ready to rock!

Old 03-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #90
farklf
is one Smokin' Farker

How does the smoke get to the meat?
farklf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backwoods, build, clone, stumps, Superior