MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #16
K-Train
is One Chatty Farker

As long as they are constuctive. If it's not constructive then I'd rather not get one. Positive comments are nice to get as well.
WSM 22.5
GMG Davy Crockett
K-Train is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #17
bignburlyman
is one Smokin' Farker

Don't forget though that the new KSBScore program may not even be able to deal with comment cards, unless they get a method worked out to match up the cards with the correct teams.
MCBJ & CTC #5112

Traeger Texas 075
Blackstone Tailgater

Family: Where Life Begins, and Love Never Ends.

bignburlyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #18
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

We do comment cards for low scores AND for high scores!

And, trying to do cards for each entry just is not realistic. You do not have 30 minutes.

You also have to try a bite, wipe your hands, records your comments (usually with a dull pencil), then try the next piece and repeat process. Heck, I have been to comps where the judges table are like little card tables and to have 6 people sitting there; need some elbow room!

Some comps get behind in bringing the boxes to the tables, so you are really crunched for time.

The last comp we judged was Smokin' On The Bay last year. I know I filled out 15-18 comment cards. Some were for low scores, and some for really high scores.

If there was more time between turn ins, that should give more time for comments.

As for me now being a competitor, I want comment cards!

I also believe there is a lot of stuff that could and should be done by KCBS and the reps to promote the comment cards. But, there is not really much said.

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #19
ckelly
Full Fledged Farker

IMHO, high remarks need not be commented on.
Anybody who's cooked in a comp more than once in his life should have a timeline, recipes or otherwise have documentation on what he did. If he does well, he'll know exactly what he did to acheive that.

If an entry is marked down? Absolutely be prepared to justify your lower score.
ckelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #20
nthole
Babbling Farker

Your assumption is you'll get valuable information back form a judge that will help you.

I once got a comment card back that said 'Your beef tasted to beefy.'

So if you actually FORCE a judge to write a comment card, you're assuming the feedback will suddenly be more useful?
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #21
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly View Post
IMHO, high remarks need not be commented on.
Anybody who's cooked in a comp more than once in his life should have a timeline, recipes or otherwise have documentation on what he did. If he does well, he'll know exactly what he did to acheive that.

If an entry is marked down? Absolutely be prepared to justify your lower score.
Don't agree. I have seen a lot of posts where people have said they turned in what they thought was average at best, but yet received a great score.

As for low or marked down scores, yes, anything of a 5 or lower needs to have a comment card.

wallace

- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"

Old 04-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #22
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
Ramona and I did Vegas last year and had the rep complain that we were doing too many cards. I did them for just about every entry. some were statements like 'under done' others were 'great job'.

And Part 2 of the problem surfaces. Heaven forbid those poor, tired and overworked Reps have to deal with too many comment cards.
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #23
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince RnQ View Post
And Part 2 of the problem surfaces. Heaven forbid those poor, tired and overworked Reps have to deal with too many comment cards.
Maybe, time to retire?

For the most part, I believe most are out there trying to make something of their work and money they put into it.

Maybe the reps and KCBS should really take another look at what this "past time" thing has become. If the entry fee was a few bucks, and everything related to a comp was cheap (smokers, meat, etc...), it would be different IMHO.

wallace

- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"

Old 04-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #24
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooter-Tooter BBQ View Post
True, I guess its a win win
It may be good for one comp, but a false high score isn't going to help me as a cook. I want to be judged as accurately as KCBS allows for, on how the judge thought my food was. If I'm cooking 5's (I'm not) but the judge scores me 7 or 8 because he doesn't want to fill out a card, that doesn't help me.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #25
ckelly
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbbq1234 View Post
Don't agree. I have seen a lot of posts where people have said they turned in what they thought was average at best, but yet received a great score.

As for low or marked down scores, yes, anything of a 5 or lower needs to have a comment card.

wallace

Alas, the COOK thought it was average but record keeping and journals will tell them what steps they took to produce the product they turned in. (within reason of course)
ckelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #26
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Never got one worth much. My favorite was a pork entry that said it tasted rancid. Scores for taste were 9 8 8 8 7 4

Have had one or two that said ribs tasted like lighter fluid, something we never use. Haven't really ever found them helpful
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #27
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly View Post
Alas, the COOK thought it was average but record keeping and journals will tell them what steps they took to produce the product they turned in. (within reason of course)
Ah, yes! And if they had a few comment cards saying what the judges liked about it, I would think that would be helpful......

wallace

- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"

Old 04-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #28
NazBQ
On the road to being a farker

If comment cards were required it would probably just piss everyone off even more. It sucks, but you're always going to have judges judging based on personal tastes. And to see those opinions written on comment cards at a comp would make for some issues.
[B]Cook Team[/B] @ [URL="http://WolfCandyBBQ.com"]WolfCandyBBQ.com[/URL]
[B]Web Designer[/B] @ [URL="http://barbecuewebsites.com"]BarbecueWebsites.com[/URL]
NazBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #29
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Don't need them, don't want them, don't find them helpful. But that's just my worthless opinion.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #30
Svenmac
Knows what a fatty is.

The best thing Kcbs could ever do is have all judges shadow a team and see how much $$$$ and time the cooks put into a contest. Secondly, the Kcbs should track judges scores and judges who constantly judge outside the bell curve should be dismissed. I know taste and tenderness is subjective but when you get five 9s and a 6 on appearance it makes you wonder about the judging pool !!!
Svenmac is offline   Reply With Quote