Meat Quantities

Mad About Que

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Reading thru the 2014 proposed parting rule change and some comments about quantities made me curious. for a KCBS event, how much are you cooking for each catogories?

Eight chicken livers
Three pounds of country style ribs
One pork tenderloin
Six brisket burgers

:D

We cook 16-20 Chicken Thighs, 4 Racks of Ribs, 4 Butts and 1 or 2 briskets. (Depending on how lucky I'm feeling)

We do 16 pieces of chicken, 3 racks of ribs, 2 butts, and 2 brisket flats. We changed to full packers and didn't do so well. We cooked 2 of those as well.

Last contest, I didn't cook enough! 8 legs (2 with broken bones and were unuseable), 2 slabs of spares, 1 pork shoulder, 1 brisket. Quantities will be different this weekend...

24 thighs
6 slabs
4 butts
2 briskets

But I am new at this and need the options.

16 thighs
2 slabs
2 butts
1 packet

and we have done 1 flat also, but the packer is usually better

A lot of you guys are only doing one brisket. Is this because you don't like to cook brisket or is it because you are confident in cranking out 1 good brisket?

Has anybody turned in Chicken without the skin on or flash fry then sauced chicken

KCBS --
8: Parboiling, Sous-vide, and/or deep-frying competition
meat is not allowed. If any of the banned processes are
discovered before the team turns in, the team will receive
zeros. If discovered after turn-in, the team will receive (1)
ones in all criteria for that entry​

You said "flash fry", not "deep fry". Either way, I wouldn't want my chicken to even remotely resemble anything that might came back to me as a 1 on the score sheet.

And, yes, skin is not a requirement. Teams do turn it in without skin.

From the rep advisories:

4.5 Breaded Chicken
Question: Can Chicken be breaded?

Opinion: At this point there is no rule against breading. It can be a part of a rub. Also, frying is not illegal as long as the heat source is from charcoal or wood and NOT DEEP FRIED. (Rule #6 states: Parboiling and/or deep-frying competition meat is not allowed). February 17, 2006

Back