Someone needs to get one of these and report back to us

Not me! My lotto numbers didn't match this week & that's the only way I'll ever be able to afford something like that :rolleyes:.

Not me! My lotto numbers didn't match this week & that's the only way I'll ever be able to afford something like that :rolleyes:.
Yep - when it's on sale and still 20 dollars per pound...what I don't understand is the use of the phrase Kobe-style. In what way? (Not that I've ever actually HAD Kobe beef!):-D

I was at a steakhouse in Vegas last night and the "special" was Kobe steaks. You could get a Kobe Sampler of 3 oz Kobe Filet, 3 oz Kobe Strip and 3 oz Kobe filet for a mere $240! Holy Cow! Literally!

I would get a twofer if I bought that. A lot of meat and instant bachelorhood.

not paying that much for "Kobe-style". The real Kobe beef live a life of luxury... personal baths and massages throughout the day - that's what leads to the superior and finer fat distribution (at least according to the Japanese who rear them).

Well, sold out now. Guess someone wanted them. Too rich for my blood.

I clicked on next product because the original link was gone:
Deal of The Day
$219.99 after $100 OFF
Monday, April 12, 2010
Kobe-style Tenderloin

D'Artagnan
American Wagyu
Raw Tenderloin Roast
6 lbs. Minimum Weight

Item # 488661
Be the first to write a review. Share this Product:
link-facebook.gif
link-digg.gif
link-delicious.gif
link-twitter.gif

$219.99
Shipping & Handling included

:shocked:

I've had Kobe beef a couple of times. I highly recommend it.

As long as someone else is picking up the tab, which was the case for me both times.

OK, 36 dollars per pound for Kobe-"style" Wagyu beef. Hmmmmmm...
Pass.

That's a bit pricey for Wagyu...perhaps not for "true" Kobe though...:cool:

The term "American Style Kobe Beef" is often refers to beef from a U.S. raised wagyu/angus cross-breed.

Wagyu beef means beef from several breeds of wagyu cattle originally from Japan.

The term "Kobe Beef" specifically means that it's beef from wagyu cattle raised in Kobe, Japan via a process which includes massages, a special diet, etc. (I suspect a lot of places throw around the term Kobe Beef when it's not, like calling sparkling wine "Champagne.")

Think of Kobe Beef as a brand of beef, like "Certified Angus Beef", rather than a breed. "American Style Kobe Beef" is also a brand, and I think that is what was on sale here.

American Style Kobe Beef isn't true Kobe Beef from Japan, but nevertheless it is a premium beef and most likely contains more intramuscular fat than USDA Prime Grade beef. (It's not USDA graded because the USDA grades don't go high enough to grade wagyu beef.)

Last edited:
The term "American Style Kobe Beef" often refers to beef from a U.S. raised wagyu/angus cross-breed.

Waygu beef means beef from several breeds of wagyu cattle originally from Japan.

The term "Kobe Beef" specifically means that it's beef from from wagyu cattle raised in Kobe, Japan via a process which includes massages, a special diet, etc.

Think of Kobe Beef as a brand of beef, like "Certified Angus Beef", rather than a breed.
Excellent info but I would still have a problem with them calling it "Kobe-Style" or "American Style Kobe" as it implies the same level of pampering that the Japanese cattle receive. Now, if this is actually the case...

Aye

Excellent info but I would still have a problem with them calling it "Kobe-Style" or "American Style Kobe" as it implies the same level of pampering that the Japanese cattle receive. Now, if this is actually the case...

Yes, it's a little misleading. Just like anything, you have to know what the label means. It's still premium beef though - beyond Prime.

It's like McDonald's or Burger King selling "Angus" beef and implying it's premium beef. (Most beef sold in the US is, in fact, Angus beef.) "Certified Angus Beef" is a brand, and has special requirements for beef grade, and the age and feeding of the cattle involved. Those fast food joints aren't claiming to be selling the "CAB" beef, but hoping you make the association.

I'd be shaking like a leaf trying to cook that sucker. Can you imagine burning a $400 piece of meat. I've had enough heart problems.

Quote from the Product Details...

"The beef produced by the Wagyu breed is extremely tender and tasty, with a concentration of flavor that arguably exceeds that of other common breeds."

After reading that description, I am pretty sure I am not paying that much money to buy a rib eye that is only "arguably" more flavorful than angus. If I am paying $30/lb. for beef, then I want an absolute certification that the beef will come from the best tasting cow ever to grace a pasture!

Last edited:
Back