MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #4456
Coby65
Got Wood.

Highchief, is the exaust pipe the only inlet you have??
Coby65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2009, 07:20 PM   #4457
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

That's the intake. Looks like he has only the one big pipe intake. That lid has a daisy wheel exhaust.

*edit* I totally misread your post. I see you were in fact referring to the intake as the exhaust because it's "exhaust" pipe. Lol.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #4458
highchief
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby65 View Post
Highchief, is the exaust pipe the only inlet you have??
I do have another 7/8" hole drilled across from the inlet pipe, but have kept it covered up. There is so much available intake from the pipe that I don't think it's needed. Especially for a slow and low cook. Next round of upgrades the barrel gets I'll put in a threaded pipe with a cap on it. It'll be a good drain for when I occasionally hose it out, at least.
highchief is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2009, 12:12 PM   #4459
bdon
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Hi everyone,

After reading this entire thread I of-course found a barrel on craigslist and got working. The barrel I received held some type of food grade oil and had the common tan liner.

After cutting the intake holes (3 1'' holes) with a wood drill bit (don't do this) I burned out my drum with a pallet of wood.

I used a good strong brush and some 409 to try and clean the inside, but the black just won't come off. Some of the inside is black, some is almost bluish, and some is plain metal. Sticking my head inside it doesn't smell like anything, where as with the liner – it smelled like paint. It seems though that my burn would have definitely burnt the liner off.

I took a piece of sand paper and sanded some down to bare metal. It seems like the barrel just has a layer of black soot, like pre-seasoned? I don't have many tools and sanding the whole thing by hand seems like a pita...but I'll do it for safety if needed.

I took a picture of the inside. What do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barrel.jpg (86.8 KB, 1172 views)
bdon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #4460
Blackened
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by highchief View Post
So, mine is built and christened.

--jeremy
Right on, nice build Jeremy..

Old 11-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #4461
Blackened
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by highchief View Post
I do have another 7/8" hole drilled across from the inlet pipe, but have kept it covered up. There is so much available intake from the pipe that I don't think it's needed. Especially for a slow and low cook. Next round of upgrades the barrel gets I'll put in a threaded pipe with a cap on it. It'll be a good drain for when I occasionally hose it out, at least.
Yeah, you shouldn't need any more than the one vertical intake..

I've got a single 2 1/4 intake and 3" exhaust and it works fine.

I actually only have to keep the intake open about 3/8" to lock it in at 235..

Old 11-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #4462
KStraker
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I need some advice on turning a Smokey Joe in to a charcoal basket. What's the preferred method of modifying this thing?
KStraker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #4463
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdon View Post
Hi everyone,

After reading this entire thread I of-course found a barrel on craigslist and got working. The barrel I received held some type of food grade oil and had the common tan liner.

After cutting the intake holes (3 1'' holes) with a wood drill bit (don't do this) I burned out my drum with a pallet of wood.

I used a good strong brush and some 409 to try and clean the inside, but the black just won't come off. Some of the inside is black, some is almost bluish, and some is plain metal. Sticking my head inside it doesn't smell like anything, where as with the liner – it smelled like paint. It seems though that my burn would have definitely burnt the liner off.

I took a piece of sand paper and sanded some down to bare metal. It seems like the barrel just has a layer of black soot, like pre-seasoned? I don't have many tools and sanding the whole thing by hand seems like a pita...but I'll do it for safety if needed.

Kind of looks like you used softwood in your burn.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #4464
Uncle Buds BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I burned out my drum with a pallet of wood.?
Nope...keep burning.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #4465
Drifter
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I'm pretty sure that black stuff is the rest of the liner that didn't burn completley out. Thats the way mine looked when I burnt it out and then I burned again and got it hotter, and most of it came out that time, still had some I had to take off with a wire wheel grinder. I'd say re-burn.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:40 AM   #4466
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

From posts of barrels past, the general consciousness is the easiest way to burn out a barrel was a harbor freight weed/snow burner. It would burn off the paint on both sides of the barrel. My second personal favorite was hooking up a small blower (like a shop vac) to one of the air intake holes. The wood fire would get more air and burn hotter/faster (low power blast furnace).
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2009, 09:41 AM   #4467
Wyley
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStraker View Post
I need some advice on turning a Smokey Joe in to a charcoal basket. What's the preferred method of modifying this thing?
I did it with an 18 in Weber. I completely cut the bottom out of it with an angle grinder just below the supports for the charcoal grate. Then I drilled a bunch of 1 inch holes through the sides, about 18 in all and also made some vertical slits in places. I then made a couple of different sized charcoal rings to sit on the grate for long or short smokes. I made some 3 inch legs for it with corner brackets and mounted it to an aluminum pizza pan for an ash catcher. Using the charcoal ring that I made which is the same diameter as the charcoal grate I've cooked for 18 hours and still had charcoal left. I left the metal handles on mine and it just fits inside my drum perfectly centered, but it takes just a little maneuvering to get it past my cooking grate supports.

Hope that helps and good luck with it.

Paul
Wyley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2009, 08:10 PM   #4468
EvilTwin v2
Found some matches.

I got my barrels the other day. I'm using 2 55 gallon barrels. I cut the lid & bottom out of one to use as the center section. The 2nd barrel, I cut on the top of each center rib to use as a base & a lid.

The 3 sections fit pretty tightly...should seal up nicely.

From left to right: Top, center, lid.

Here they are stacked.

I cut everything with a cutoff wheel on my angle-grinder. I left about 3/4" lip on the inside top & bottom, so that the center section will keep some structure. I may have to grind away some once I get the grills.

Note: They were both a seafoam green color w/ a bit of rust until I burned them out.

Well, other than paint & some sort of damper on the intake & chimney, it's done.

I picked up 2 replacement Weber grates & a Weber bottom grate at Lowes, along with several nuts & bolts. I then stopped at a metal supply place & bought a 12 3/4" x 50" piece of heavy guage expanded metal. Then I finally stopped by Walmart & got 2 thermometers for the smoker, and then 2 remote digital meat thermometers (all on closeout).

On the way home, I stopped at a buddy's house & picked up an old post jack (3" od) to use for intake & chimney (black iron pipe was going to cost over $25 for enough and this was free).

After several hours with the torches, welder, hole saws, etc., we have smoke.

I ended up with the first grate at 24" above the bottom of the charcoal basket, and the top grate about 14" above that. The thermometers are within 1/2" of the grates.

here's some more pics from today:

I put it through it's paces again tonight. I had it up to 800* for about 15 minutes 4 times & then let it sit at 500 for another 1hr. It's been holding 250* with the coals from that for the past 2 hrs w/ using foil as a damper on the intake & exhaust.

I still want to put some handles on it, paint it, and build dampers, but it's at least ready for meat now.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-11-2009, 08:59 PM   #4469
Babyboomerboy
is one Smokin' Farker

I bet you can cook some meat real fast at 800*
CBJ #31626
UDS
Lots of Weber Grills
Traeger Texas Pellet Grill
My cooking blog
[URL]http://babyboomerboyscookinblog.blogspot.com/[/URL]