MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #4381
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
Sorry about the repost, I was just trying to help. While I have gotten a lot of good info from this thread, and this site since I found it, I did not read EVERY page of a 250+ page thread.
Coming from a guy who read it all. and to quote Norco.

Reading all the pages are much easier than the trial and errors people went through to gain the information.

Having said that it would be great to Have a UDS Section with subsections. Being a member on other forums , its odd to see a single thread get to such a large page count without splitting. I also understand it takes more mods and time to monitor more threads.
jetfxr27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2009, 09:29 PM   #4382
fixa
Found some matches.

Thanks for the inspiration all. I've just finished building mine, painting it today. Pics to come!
fixa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2009, 05:07 AM   #4383
Drifter
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfxr27 View Post
Coming from a guy who read it all. and to quote Norco.

Reading all the pages are much easier than the trial and errors people went through to gain the information.
I wasn't having any issues with "trial and error" I had read enough of the thread to know how to do the mod with the cheepo grill, I guess I just missed the page where Norco showed the cheepo grill that was the size I needed. The grills I was finding in most stores were the smaller ones that fit the smaller fire baskets most people are using. If I had known I was going to get flamed like this for trying to pass on what I thought was good info I would have kept my $.02 to myself!!!

Old 10-21-2009, 06:59 AM   #4384
iamuzzyhunter
Full Fledged Farker

Don't take it personal, Drifter. Welcome aboard!!
iamuzzyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2009, 07:16 AM   #4385
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I wasn't having any issues with "trial and error" I had read enough of the thread to know how to do the mod with the cheepo grill, I guess I just missed the page where Norco showed the cheepo grill that was the size I needed. The grills I was finding in most stores were the smaller ones that fit the smaller fire baskets most people are using. If I had known I was going to get flamed like this for trying to pass on what I thought was good info I would have kept my $.02 to myself!!!
Hey Drifter- I came in at pge 30 and built a barrel and now have over 40 that have come thru my garage.There are lots of regular contributors here since almost day one who have shaped this thread. They can be crusty sometimes but then you read back a few pages and you find them busting their balls helping someone- guess we all have good and bad days. I try to keep up with this thread but not always successful. Take what you can remember, use what you like but most importantly don't forget the pron!!! Oh, and ask anything you like-if the flames get too high just close the intake a bit. Look forward to your to your additions to the thread.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #4386
Old Hippie
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
If I had known I was going to get flamed like this for trying to pass on what I thought was good info I would have kept my $.02 to myself!!!
I too got "flamed" a month or so back when I was getting my list of materials together to build my first UDS. Granted, I flunked Public Speaking in high school back in the 60's which translates in today's computer communication into not getting it right between my brain and computer keyboard and I ask some questions about lid fits and galvanized parts which I'm sure was discussed many times during the previous 4,000 plus messages which I did read before opening my trap but there are a couple people here that think they invented the UDS and their retention span is a little better than most. Anyway, they take issue with anyone new that is trying to reinvent the wheel.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:35 AM   #4387
N8man
Babbling Farker

I think I need to build one of these.

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2009, 09:38 AM   #4388
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I have gotten a lot of good info out of this thread so here is my $.02 worth. Hopefully it'll help someone out. When I built my UDS I couldn't find a fire grate for 18" grill, so I used one for the 22.5" grill which makes my fire basket 18" in diameter. The problem was that I couldn't find anything that size to use for an ash pan, untill this afternoon. I was at the Dollar General Store down the road and spotted this 18" throwaway grill. It was marked $12.00, not too bad, so I grabbed one. When I checked out it was on end of summer clearance for $3.60!!! SWEET!! I grabbed another for a spare. It fits my oversized charcoal basket perfect!! If anybody else has had this problem I hope this helps.
This actually got me hunting all over my towns dollar general stores for the $3.60 18" grill. Couldn't find one , but none the less it was a great heads up. Thank you! Sorry for the soft flame in the earlier post. I guess your post was a 2 fer, 1. Idea 2. Deal alert. I only focused on the idea part. Completely glossed over the great deal!

Old 10-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #4389
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20loo View Post
Hey Drifter- I came in at pge 30 and built a barrel and now have over 40 that have come thru my garage.There are lots of regular contributors here since almost day one who have shaped this thread. They can be crusty sometimes but then you read back a few pages and you find them busting their balls helping someone- guess we all have good and bad days. I try to keep up with this thread but not always successful. Take what you can remember, use what you like but most importantly don't forget the pron!!! Oh, and ask anything you like-if the flames get too high just close the intake a bit. Look forward to your to your additions to the thread.
Over 40! Wow thats a lot. I too am about to ramp up a production, I work with over 400 guys and most of them want one. What are some tips for mass producing for a BIG group of friends. What would you do differently or whats an easier way to to some tasks?

Old 10-21-2009, 09:51 AM   #4390
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mark

Here's my advice: Do not start drinking until after fabrication is complete.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2009, 09:58 AM   #4391
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfxr27 View Post
Over 40! Wow thats a lot. I too am about to ramp up a production, I work with over 400 guys and most of them want one. What are some tips for mass producing for a BIG group of friends. What would you do differently or whats an easier way to to some tasks?
A good way to do this would is to hold a build a thon. Something akin to an amway or jewerly party!! Everybody gather their parts, pick somewhere or someones home and build away.

If you do this PLEASE get pics of the group burn!!!!

Paul B
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2009, 10:31 AM   #4392
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8man View Post
I think I need to build one of these.
I have been thinking the same thing! I read about 3 pages of this thread and now I think I'm ready to start.

I can't wait to get it built so I can learn to cook one of those fatties!

Old 10-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #4393
Skidder
Babbling Farker

As Mark said easy on the drinking till it's done then party away. Remember K.I.S.S.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #4394
Ninesixteen
Got Wood.

I just wanted to drop in here and say that I love my drum!!!

That is all.
Ninesixteen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2009, 12:04 PM   #4395
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
As Mark said easy on the drinking till it's done then party away. Remember K.I.S.S.
Yep; I learned the hard way and have the scars to prove it.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker