MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Default Reheating Brisket

I plan on making 2 briskets for New Years Eve. One to bring to work and the 2nd to bring to a party at night. I have been looking at some old posts regarding what is the best way to reheat brisket and there are a bunch of great ideas. I plan on trying 2 different techniques and will post it here how they came out. So will attempt to do it Sunday HnF.

The 1st brisket I plan on slicing and placing them in a ziplock bags with any juice that leaked out (I do not have a vacuum sealer). Place in refrigerator over night. Bring it to work Monday and warm the meat in the bags with boiling water. We don't have easy access to a microwave and oven is out of the question. But we do have a pitcher that boils water insanely quick.

The 2nd brisket I'm thinking leave whole. After the rest, unwrap the butchers paper and wrap the meat in plastic wrap with any juice and make it waterproof then in the fridge overnight. Next day place wrapped up brisket in a pan with water in a preheated 200* oven till IT of 140*. Let it rest for 30 min or so then start slicing.

I sure hope I'm able to do this next weekend, seems I've been doing more research on this then it will take to smoke the dam thing. Like I said if I'm able to do this I'll be looking fwd to posting the results. Wish me luck, or advice lol.
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

The one you are taking to work, you could leave it whole and heat it up in the oven at home and hold it in a cooler until you are ready to serve. How long will is from the time you leave for work until lunch?

The second one, I would leave it wrapped and put it in the fridge. You will not lose that much moisture. Reheat at about 300*F until 160*F(for safety's sake). Heating at the high temp will get the meat to temp faster and not give it a chance to dry out.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2012, 06:32 AM   #3
razrbakcrzy
is one Smokin' Farker

I agree with ^^^^Pyle^^^^
[FONT=Arial][B]Future Smoker [/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]$5438.25 Total BYC Smoker!![/FONT]

[SIZE=2]Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985 [/SIZE]
razrbakcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
Berock
Got Wood.

I tried reheating in normal gallon glad bags and all the food tasted like plastic. I'm not sure the glad bags are made to be heated.
Berock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

I used a combination of methods taught to me by BBQ Bandit and Pitmaster T. I had to combine the efforts because of my available materials and the time I had to work in.

I cooked a 12 pound brisket, sealed it in a large foodsaver bag along with some of the au jus. Then, I plunged it into a cooler full of ice to cool it down quickly. Once cooled, I put it in the fridge.

The next day, I boiled some water in a large pot and put in the brisket still sealed in the bag and let it boil for about 30 minutes. I removed it from the water and put it in a cooler and took it to the destination where I sliced and served it.

It was superb! I couldn't tell that it had been reheated.

Thanks Bandit and Pitmaster T!

Old 12-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
The one you are taking to work, you could leave it whole and heat it up in the oven at home and hold it in a cooler until you are ready to serve. How long will is from the time you leave for work until lunch?
It would be tough to do since I would need to take a cooler on the train/bus. And i'm taken a cooler it will be with beer not beef. Well perhaps some beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
The second one, I would leave it wrapped and put it in the fridge. You will not lose that much moisture. Reheat at about 300*F until 160*F(for safety's sake). Heating at the high temp will get the meat to temp faster and not give it a chance to dry out.
When you say leave it wrapped do you mean in BP and forgo the plastic wrap? I have more options for the 2nd one since I am home.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #7
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Boshizzle you are gonna make me go and order a foodsaver aren't you! LOL

Old 12-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berock View Post
I tried reheating in normal gallon glad bags and all the food tasted like plastic. I'm not sure the glad bags are made to be heated.
Those bags are good for storage, but as you learned, not for the heating end of things.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Just an update... As always in life you can plan all you want but sometimes a higher authority may have different plans for you. This time it was the wife who terminated my two brisket idea since she is bringing baked ziti to the NYE party. I just trimmed my brisket ala Franklin method from this video. Plan on smoking it tmrw at *300 grate for 2 hours, wrap in BP for another 2 hours then start probing for doneness. Let it rest in the faux cambrio for 2-4 hours.

After reading so many suggestion.. after it rests and I sample some I'll wrap it in plastic wrap, foil then in the refrigerator till Monday morning. Bring it to work, place the brisket in boiling water to warm up. Hope it goes as planned

BTW the hardest part was resisting the erg to not add more spices to the S&P rub.

Last edited by gaspipe1; 12-29-2012 at 10:08 PM..

Old 01-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #10
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Well here is some pr0n. I want to thank boshizzle ( I'm sure my spelling is off sorry Joe but on a cell) for the PM late into the night.

What I did was wrap it plastic wrap whole. Then just kept adding boiling water into a tray to warm it up.

Was tasty, but lost a lot of juice before wrapping while resting. Prob the best one I've made but not the best I've had. Well one step closer.

Btw it took like 10 hours at 300* till it became probe tender. Crazy!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357145940.362898.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357145965.185323.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357145983.867739.jpg

As always thanks for looking and thank you for all the advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk