Grilled chuck + short rib burgers

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I picked up a new LEM .25 HP 5 lb/min meat grinder and thought some ground beef for hamburgers was a perfect way to test it out. I picked up 2 chuck roasts and a tray of short ribs from Sam's Club, about 9lbs between the two. I did a coarse grind followed by a fine grind, and it took me about 5 minutes to process it which was a huge time savings compared to the grinder attachment I have for our Kitchenaide stand mixer.

I kept the burgers simple with just lettuce, tomato, onions, mayo, and American cheese. They were seasoned with kosher salt, pepper, and granulated garlic. My burger was about 3/4 lb, the rest were right at 1/2 lb. About 8 minutes per side on the Primo XL running at 350*. Threw some onions on there for a side. I ate all the onions myself and the 3/4lb burger no prob. :tape:

If you've thought about grinding your own beef and wondered if it's worth it - the answer is yes...yes it is. I haven't bought ground beef from the store in a long time. The Kitchenaide attachment is less than $50, which I used pretty regularly for several years. :thumb:

Short rib burgers are as good as it gets IMO...:thumb:

That looks fantastic!

We have some similar onions that my sister in law gave us. They didn't have the chive looking ends on them, though. Yours look super tasty.

RIP short ribs.

They must be cheap where you live. They are $5 to $6 around these parts. $4 and some change if i buy a 2 pack of 4 bone plates. I can't imagine making burgers out of them. I draw the line at $2-$3 brisket.

I have been thinking of making burgers out of beef ribs (yes, pretty decent price here at about 3.5 U$ per kg) and silverside.
You may just have convinced me to go ahead ;)

Awesome burger! You will never buy ground beef again.

Those Burgers Look terrific, we use Full packer Brisket to grind, $7.50 a kilo, Mince is around $7.50 a kilo as well.

Good looking beef! I am ready to grind some myself. I have a ton of ribeye fat in the freezer, and a grocery here has CAB rump roast on Sale for $2.99. I think that since rump roast is pretty dense it should have a hearty beef flavor. Since the fat was free, that should put me arond $2.60 per lb. or so. What do you think?

Short Rib adds such wonderful flavor to a burger - these look wonderful. Nothing better than fresh ground beef!

Nice work. The options are endless with a good grinder.

Is a stuffer next on your list?

Nice work. The options are endless with a good grinder.

Is a stuffer next on your list?

I'm going to try to make do with using the grinder as the sausage stuffer for the time being. I'm out of room for more gadgets, need a house upgrade first. :cool:

Those burgers look super. Never thought about grinding short ribs.

I, too have a Lem grinder. Bought the plate with 3/8" holes to do "chili" grind. I use that one the most.

I just got the same Lem and plan on doing the same thing, Suds. Thanks for the post.

The 5lb one is on sale for about $270 I think. I bought this "used" on Amazon Warehouse quite a bit lower than that, and I'm pretty sure it was brand new...wrap still intact etc. It was a big upgrade in performance from the kitchenaide attachment, it took some effort to keep chunks in the feed tube, chewed right through it.

The fine disc I have I think is too small and the coarse disc is too big so I need to find a diameter somewhere in the middle of the two.

I'm planning on it, I've got another burger cook coming Sunday too :thumb: I know you can submit multiple entries on this one.

Killer! Way to grind it out for the win! :eusa_clap

Back