MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #5536
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAGGIE10 View Post
With it being a new drum, would I still need to "burn" the drum before cooking?
Wash that sucker out with tide and hot water really well, season it with crisco or cook a fatty in it, and you will be good to go.

Edit: Upon reading the following posts regarding the rust inhibitor, I can see the merit of doing a burn out just to make sure.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle

Last edited by HeSmellsLikeSmoke; 03-10-2010 at 07:13 PM..
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #5537
BadHorsieBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Spray some water in and and let it sit for a while to see if it flash rust. If it dose not then you might want to burn it as it might have the rust inhibitor coating as mine did.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:37 PM   #5538
SKOTD
Found some matches.

WOW , been gone a while. I remember this thread when it was 44 pages.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #5539
SuperQue
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Stone Cold Grillers

I've run into a problem with my new barrels. They have the red liner in them and now I've been informed that I can't burn it out per village rules, "no open fires". So now what? Can I sand/grind it out? Will a heat gun work? Or should I just bite the bullet and get a new barrel, sans liner?

Old 03-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #5540
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAGGIE10 View Post
With it being a new drum, would I still need to "burn" the drum before cooking?

Notice that there is no rust inside? There is a good chance that it has a rust inhibitor sprayed on the inside. Personally, I'd burn it out and scrape it down.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #5541
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperQue View Post
I've run into a problem with my new barrels. They have the red liner in them and now I've been informed that I can't burn it out per village rules, "no open fires". So now what? Can I sand/grind it out? Will a heat gun work? Or should I just bite the bullet and get a new barrel, sans liner?
Can you use a weed burner?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91033

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-10-2010, 04:33 PM   #5542
Boshizzle

Sandblast it out. Check around for prices. There is a guy near me who told me he would sandblast a drum for $25.00. Then, get a weed burner and burn it that way.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:33 PM   #5543
SuperQue
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Stone Cold Grillers

I thought those things cost a lot more than that! That's definitely the way to go. Do you think I could get 2 barrels burned out with 1 propane tank?

Old 03-10-2010, 04:58 PM   #5544
Boshizzle

I just bought a weed burner from HF with the lighter on sale for $29.95. They may still be on sale if you have a store nearby.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:07 PM   #5545
BadHorsieBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
I just bought a weed burner from HF with the lighter on sale for $29.95. They may still be on sale if you have a store nearby.

That is the same one that I purchase. No looking for matches. Works awesome.

Last edited by BadHorsieBBQ; 03-10-2010 at 07:17 PM..
BadHorsieBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2010, 05:13 PM   #5546
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I thought those things cost a lot more than that! That's definitely the way to go. Do you think I could get 2 barrels burned out with 1 propane tank?
Probably not. I burnt my barrel and used the weed burner on the lid and a few stubborn spots and used most of a tank.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:03 PM   #5547
mjl

OK. I have made it through much of this thread, and am ready to build a UDS. Just a few questions. I am looking to build it with a Kettle lid, 2 cooking grates, and a waterpan...sort of a poor mans 22.5 WSM. Does this sound reasonable? To expect WSM like performance out of a UDS? My plan is to use it at home when I don't want to fire up my larger GF cooker. If i performs as advertised, I'd like to make it a dedicated brisket contest cooker.

Any insight would be appreciated, especially as related to a UDS with a water pan or contest cooking.

Thank you.

Matt

Old 03-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #5548
wheelterrapin
Take a breath!

Default WOW! Finally finished this thread

Ok Gang I paid my dues. I dedicated all day last Saturday to reading all of these posts, well Saturday came and went, Sunday came and went, as well as Monday and Tuesday and just now, at 8:37 PM on Wednesday night I finished reading all 370 pages of this thread.

I jumped the gun in the early stages and ordered a "Food Grade" 55 gallon drum and ended up with the dreaded tan liner. After reading the many, many many numerous comments about how hard it is to burn this out I went on a quest today to find an unlined drum. We have an Ice Cream manufacturing plant here in my town so I headed to them with no luck, all they have is lined drums.

We have a Land-O-Frost manufacturing plant here also and someone told me I might find a drum there so tomorrow I am going there. If no luck I will commence the burning out of my drum. I will keep the brethren posted as I go along on this build.

I want to thank each and every person who has contributed to this thread, I feel I am well prepared to start my UDS although I know I will be coming back to this group for help.
wheelterrapin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #5549
sdb25
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
You can get a weed burner and use that to torch the liner. Or, if you burn on a cloudy/rainy day that may work. And as you said, grinding/sanding/sand blasting it out is also an option.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #5550
wheelterrapin
Take a breath!

As of yesterday I have obtained a weed burner. Do you think just using the weed burner will work or should I do a burn and then use the weed burner to clean up what is left. I don't mind the buring but dread crawling inside of a drum and trying to wire brush and sand the sides. I might be the end of this old man.
wheelterrapin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker