MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

Default Lucky to Be Alive (gas grill related)

Today I was making grilled chicken tacos and had my sister and her granddaughter over. We moved recently so some stuff is still hard to find. I had the chicken breast seasoned up and fired up the grill. I turned all three burners full up to clean the grates and started making the rice while I waited. I was having trouble finding the seasonings and let the grill heat up too long without checking it. When I looked out the window the whole top end of the grill was engulfed in flames. I went out and tried shutting off the burners but they were melted and just spun around on the shaft. I then noticed the hose from the tank was shooting out flames. It had melted through and the flames were inches above the tank. I reached under and started turning off the valve. It was scorching hot. The whole top of the tank was very hot. I was figuring by now that it might be over for me. I got the valve off and the flames all but disappeared. I didn't want to put water on the tank to cool it down for fear that it was still too volatile. I waited it out and when I got my composure I just fried the chicken on the stove. I'm very thankful to be alive and mad at myself for putting us all in danger.

Wesman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Whoa, glad to hear no one was hurt!

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
slammmed
Full Fledged Farker

wow I guess it's true what they say about don't leave a grill unattended! glad to hear you are okay that could have ended badly like this NO2 tank did.

slammmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
hachi-roku_fan
is one Smokin' Farker

What gave way? I'm curious since I have the same grill. Glad to hear everyone is ok
hachi-roku_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
coastal
Full Fledged Farker

Brickman? My brother in law had flames shoot out of his brickman and a bout 2 weeks later mine did the same thing. If I wasnt standing right there to shut everything off it could have been a lot worse.

We also had a brickman half explode at a rental house a couple years back

Upgraded to Weber and havnt looked back ever since.
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

This ain't rocket science. Verify the flame. Plain and simple.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
Bludawg

J.A.R. I won't own one of them things. Glad your OK!

Old 07-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
This ain't rocket science. Verify the flame. Plain and simple.
I always make sure the the flame is burning and I even took note of the wind. It has blown the flame out before. It seems to have melted the hose somehow. I'm not blaming it all on the grill but I cannot recommend this unit. It's a char griller btw. It's flemsy as hell, there's not enough clearance above the tank, it's hard to remove and replace, it's very hard to connect and disconnect the hose and hard to open and close the valve on the tank. This is going to the landfill first chance I get.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #9
coastal
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesman61 View Post
I always make sure the the flame is burning and I even took note of the wind. It has blown the flame out before. It seems to have melted the hose somehow. I'm not blaming it all on the grill but I cannot recommend this unit. It's a char griller btw. It's flemsy as hell, there's not enough clearance above the tank, it's hard to remove and replace, it's very hard to connect and disconnect the hose and hard to open and close the valve on the tank. This is going to the landfill first chance I get.
Bright side is now you can convince your family you cant get another cheap grill and you can spring for a Weber. Safety First
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #10
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal View Post
Bright side is now you can convince your family you cant get another cheap grill and you can spring for a Weber. Safety First
Hey!!! Funny thing is I came close to buying a cover for it today. Yeah, going the Weber route next time.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:58 PM   #11
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Very happy you are o.k., certainly could have been a worse outcome. Someday you'll be tellin' your friends about this over a couple cold ones, and laughing.

In any case........enjoy your replacement grill.

KC

Old 07-09-2013, 10:58 PM   #12
hachi-roku_fan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesman61 View Post
Yea I don't keep the tank under mine. I've used the charcoal side waaaay more than the gas, but I've kept the tank at a distance. Aside from the tank not fitting, it's worked flawlessly
hachi-roku_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #13
landarc

Thankfully you are okay and the only thing lost was the grill.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2013, 11:19 PM   #14
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hachi-roku_fan View Post
Yea I don't keep the tank under mine. I've used the charcoal side waaaay more than the gas, but I've kept the tank at a distance. Aside from the tank not fitting, it's worked flawlessly
I have also used the charcoal side a lot more. I would have used it today but time was short. I plan on replacing it with just a gas grill. I have other options for wood and charcoal grilling. No more doubling up. It's took big and heavy.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #15
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

I have a friend who got a old Oklahoma Joe offset. He's been bugging me to come teach him how to use it. Sunday he invited us to a party he was having. When I got there I saw that he had fired up the pit. The food was all done and in the kitchen. I didn't think much of it until later when I walked out back and checked out the pit. It was running 350 a half hour after the food was done. then I noticed the propane tank from his gasser on the log rack underneath touching the firebox. The "Blue Rhino" label had melted and burnt.

I grabbed him and gave him a lecture on safety. He admitted it was a bad idea to store his tank there. I was pretty pissed. There to a dozen families with kids at this party. This could have been a disaster.

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote