which gravity feed smoker you like?

sparky'

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
looking to get a gravity feed smoker. like the idea of cooking 12 hours on lump or charcoal. like the ease of a gravity feed. what do ya'll like? and a straight chute or tapered one? :cool:

Last edited:
If I were buying one it would definitely be a stumps, but I've looked at all of them and Backwoods, rebel, and asassins all look good.

well, i'm looking at rebels, assassins, vikings and stumps so far. stumps are very expensive. i do like the racks in the viking. easy to clean. the assassin smoker look good too. need more info on the rebels. all are made in the USA i believe.

I have a Rebel 28 and I love it. Check out rebel smokers website and call Jeff or Brian. They are made in St. Louis and are built like a tank. Highly recommended by me and several friends who also have rebels.

Hi folks, I'm getting ready to commit to a smoker and I'm seriously looking at the Rebel 28. I do a lot of church fundraisers and have FOUR (4) UDSs for this purpose! Watching/tending to all 4 at the same time is getting a bit too much. Can you tell me a bit about your experience with the Rebel. Have you ever had the smoker FULL to capacity? If so, did you have to rotate the racks for even cooking? This also applies to other gravity-fed smokers- do you guys have to rotate the racks? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
P.S. I know I can contact the manufacturer but hearing from someone that actually has/used the Rebel is much better!

I have a stumps stretch, and fully loaded it is not even, either move product, not entire shelves around, or do like i do, its done when its done and remove it then, every piece cooks different.

Gravity fed smoker fuel?

What fuel/heat source do you guys use in your gravity-fed smokers and why? Thanks guys.

I used Stubbs briquettes in my Stretch for consistant long cooks. Even quality stuff can bridge the chute if it gets a little damp.

The Stumps was a good unit and hell for stout but I changed directions and went back to stick 'burnin. :mrgreen:

Just ordered a Stumps Classic here. My Lang was good, just want to try out something different.

I started with a stumps gf223 several years ago which is basically his Classic model today. In 2008, I moved up to a Stumps Platinum 6. I have been very happy with his cookers. I don't know what the price of some of the other gravity feed cookers are, but I would assume they are all similarly priced. If there is a big difference in pricing, I would wonder why.

I have used both lump and briquette. Briquettes burn more evenly, I'm sure do to consistent size compared to lump, but they create more ash. Briquettes are also better if you get a straight chute cooker as opposed to tapered.

Back