Payouts???????????????

Jacked UP BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have always wondered why at comps they pay the top ten per category but only pay the reserve and grand at most. I would say pay top five in the categories and the 6-10 money should go to the top ten OVERALL. It is much harder to achieve top ten overall than top ten in one category. It just doesn't make much sense to me.

• Thanks
Reactions: G$
I agree as well...

Those I know who disagree believe that small payouts in 6-10 in categories gives cooks who don't compete often a taste of some cash to keep them interested in competing again. I've seen guys joyous over a 25 dollar 9th place category check. Not me, I'd rather get some cash for coming in 5th or 6th overall...

The problem is all the hype about THE CALL..... Fark the call, I want the organizers signature or some dead presidents.

I support paying by category even though it costs me money. It's better for competition to have those little guys get thsoe single category calls.

The system is designed to reward excellence (category calls) and consistency (top 2 or even maybe up to 5). Who really thinks a 9th overall when you didn't get a single top 10 should be rewarded over those category top 10 people.

I agree as well...

Those I know who disagree believe that small payouts in 6-10 in categories gives cooks who don't compete often a taste of some cash to keep them interested in competing again. I've seen guys joyous over a 25 dollar 9th place category check. Not me, I'd rather get some cash for coming in 5th or 6th overall...
I don't compete often, and I'd be happy to come home with any payout as a new team. HOWEVER, I completely agree Jeff, that certainly seems like the right thing to do. A $25.00 payout should never be a deciding factor in weather you would want to do it again. :thumb:

I'm sure the view depends on where you stand. There are an awful lot of cooks who aren't going to place regularly in the top 5 of categories, and if they make up the bulk of the field there's going to be a lot more interest in cash for 6-10 categories rather than diverting it to the overall.

We've also seen the prevalent rationale that Grand and Reserve shouldn't get much because "they got paid in the categories". We've seen Best Booth awarded more than the RGC, and often paid the same as a meat category.

We have more than a couple of contests out here (Pueblo, CO for example) that pay more than Grand and Reserve in the overalls -- Pueblo paid down to 10th in the overall and down to 10th in the categories. That was a $15K contest, it's harder to do that with a smaller prize fund.

The single category CALL....If thats all they want is to hear their names, so be it. Call them out. Don't give away money and a trophy to a guy who gets seventh place brisket and don't even acknowledge the guy who got fourth overall out of 50 teams because he consistently cooked his or her ass off in every cat whether a call or not. Not got lucky in one category and bombed the rest.

very interesting topic. I disagree with the "fark the walk attitude" MOST teams would be further ahead by staying home then to spend the $200.00 entry fee plus all the other added expenses so why do they (I) do it? I do it for fun and plastic pigs and cows, not cash Im never gonna get it all back. By adding a small pay out for 6th - 10th in each catagory it keeps the "little guy" interested and tring, sure a ribbon or $25.00 might not mean anything to some but it does to the majority. Not much of a prize pool if the little guys stay home. So I think that a little bone keeps the bbq comp world going around.

Sal

I do also think there should be more recognition for the top 5 over all and the top 10 overall in a large comp.

In two comps last year I saw the same team finish 3rd out of 59 and 2nd of 65 overall with only one call (top 10) at each comp. I'd say finishes like that are worth more than just one just the check and ribbon for the one call - that's consistency across all categories. (yes, I realize the RGC provided recognition and $$, but follow me here)

I know when we don't hear our name in the top 10 overall, the first thing we look at on the score sheet is where we finished overall - not where we finished in categories we didn't get calls in. I'm assuming others do the same.

I understand why the payouts are for category as it increases the chances of the money getting spread around and I don't have an issue with that. But it really would be nice for the top 10 overall to get more recognition than just their name called. Ribbons, medallions, etc for 6th-10th and then cash and trophies or plaques for 3rd-5th would be a nice draw.

We did a comp earlier this year and as advertised it only paid top 5 per category and overall. I kind of questioned that and the organizer asked me what I thought about it. I told him I'd let him know after the comp. Turns out he got more teams than expected and was able to pay out the top 10 per category and top 10 overall. Being as we had two top 5's in categories and finished in the top 10 overall - it worked out great. I did like that he awarded the overalls more than the categories per placement.

when they were setting up the contest in my hometown, they asked me how in a perfect world would they pay out the monies. I told them the top 10 overall and payout the top 10 for category. The money for 6-10th place was $25. It was taken from the overall/top 5 fund. They ended up going with paying the top 5 overall and giving out ribbons. I also said that if you are paying someone for 5th overall, it better be more money than what 5th place in a category gets.

but I agree with what Matt was sauing. Anyone can get lucky and hit a category. We see it all the time. But to cook well in all 4 categories is what makes the cook, not one category.

when they were setting up the contest in my hometown, they asked me how in a perfect world would they pay out the monies. I told them the top 10 overall and payout the top 10 for category. The money for 6-10th place was $25. It was taken from the overall/top 5 fund. They ended up going with paying the top 5 overall and giving out ribbons. I also said that if you are paying someone for 5th overall, it better be more money than what 5th place in a category gets.

but I agree with what Matt was sauing. Anyone can get lucky and hit a category. We see it all the time. But to cook well in all 4 categories is what makes the cook, not one category.

just for discussions sake, would it be better to pay the top 10 (or 5) overall and eliminate the catagory payouts? its seems like that would be the way to go since its a 4 meat contest.

I have always felt that the GC and RGC is too top heavy. Don't get me wrong, I love winning them. but realistically, If you take $500 off the GC, you can spread that out for paying $25 for 6th-10th place for the 4 categories.

I do believe that the GC and RGC should get a good chunk, but spread it out some. If it means that a contest is going to happen next year, because a 10th place team got a call in chicken and they will be back again. that is a good thing.

I have mixed feelings on this. The only thing that kept us going the first year was getting something in a category. So a payout or something for a top 10 category was pretty important.

As I third year cook, I have to say I agree with top 5 payouts and maybe ribbons or something for 6-10 in individual categories.

We have a limited budget, no sponsors, very little fancy equipment (no pellet poopers, stokers, gurus, etc.) And we're in it mostly for the fun of it.

We did 4 KCBS comps in 2008 got 1 call 3rd pork. We were ecstatic!!!
6 KCBS comps last year, got 6 calls, 4 of them top 5
This year we've done 1 so far and got 2 calls, both top 5

Someone else on this forum(who will remain nameless:icon_shy) tends to call anything below Grand Champ "first loser":twisted:. While I might look at it that way when I've been at it a little longer, I think ANY call is encouraging, it means we're on the right track, are improving, and gives us reason to come back and do it again.

But I would rather see more money to 1-5, ribbons or something for 6-10, and make the top 10 overall all be awarded more generously. Money we got for our 2 6-10 finishes was pretty much negligible anyway, but 2 top 5's paid our entry and half our meat!

Smokin' Gnome, I think if they only paid the top 10 overall, and not at least top 5 in categories you would have far fewer teams not come back again. I wouldn't

Just MHO:wink:

Back