Barrels for a UDS

Smokin' D

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I can get some free food grade barrels to make a couple UDS, but they are a 40 minute drive and then there is the liner/burn-out issue. Or I can get the heavier gauge re-conditioned barrels for $30 each. Both are open top. Oh, the reconditioned ones are only a 20 minute drive away. What would you do?
I am leaning towards the reconditioned ones right now, but input from those in the know is always valuable.

This will be my first UDS build. I have cabin fever from all of the snow and cold this winter and my fingers are just itching to make something.

Last edited:
Spend the additional 30 bucks and save a helluva lot of work.

Weiser

Ditto on what Weiser said - the burn-out/wire wheel ordeal was part of it for us, but my hubby has already said "Next one, we find an unlined drum."

I don't mind doing some work but the work involved in doing the burn-out seems to be unnecessary, unpleasant and already done be the reconditioning company. $30 dollar recons it is. Thanks for the input. My plan is to celebrate the first day of Spring by doing the build and, if time permits, a rack or two of ribs!

I would suggest the reconditioned one. So far I have built five for myself and co-workers from reconditioned barrells I bought from a company called Cargo Clean for $27. They take $2.50 off for the locking ring which I tell them to keep.They spray a rust proofing chemical on the inside as one of the last steps in the process. I asked them to leave the rust proofing off which they did.

When I go to check these out I will ask about that rustproofing. Would not have thought of that. Thanks for all the help.

I picked up two open head drums yesterday for 20 bucks each. Got them home and the drums are a little too large for a weber 22" lid to fit.
What gives? I thought I was saving myself some work. Looks like I either use the flat lid that came with the drum or cut off the rim.

Sorry for the hijack...kinda thought it was a related topic.

I picked up two open head drums yesterday for 20 bucks each. Got them home and the drums are a little too large for a weber 22" lid to fit.
What gives? I thought I was saving myself some work. Looks like I either use the flat lid that came with the drum or cut off the rim.

Sorry for the hijack...kinda thought it was a related topic.

No hijack there. I have heard that the barrels are all slightly different in diameter, different manufacturers and all. I'm planning on bringing the Weber lid with me to check the fit. Just might get lucky. If not gonna get the lids with the 2" bung hole so I can put a smoke stack on it as opposed to all these holes.

I think I will Cut a ring out of another barrel(keep the rib in the middle and have 2-3 inches either side) and slip it into the top. The weber lid should fit then. The other barrel I will use the flat lid.

Back