MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
pal251
Full Fledged Farker

Default Cooking time for 3 5lb pork butts

I want to do some pork butts in addition to ribs that someone else is cooking. Only have access to 5lb pork butts. How long you think it would take to cook 2 or 3 of them (with bone)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
pal251 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

What temp?

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
aawa
Babbling Farker

at 225-255 you will be looking at about 1.5-2hrs per pound
at 260-285 you will be looking at about 1-1.5hrs per pound.
at 290-320 you will be looking at about 45mins-1hr per pound.

Edit - That would be per pound of the pork butt (3 5lb butts will cook in about the same amount of time of 1 5lb butt, but 1 15lb butt will take longer to cook than 3 5lb butts)

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
pal251
Full Fledged Farker

I like to roll at 300 degrees. I will figure in 6oz per person and we are having about 14 people.

I figure I will need about 7 pounds of uncooked pork or Chicken if I figure 6 oz per person and then add .30 loss before cooked weight.
pal251 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
Panthers65
is one Smokin' Farker

6 hours at 300, smaller cuts take a little longer than big cuts per pound. Plan for 6-7 hours, should set you up right to let them rest for an hour or two before eating.
Panthers65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
javahog2002
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
3 5lb butts will cook in about the same amount of time of 1 5lb butt,

My experience is that this in not true. When I load my cooker with 6 - 7lb butts, it takes a lot longer to cook them than 1 - 7 lb butt.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahog2002 View Post
My experience is that this in not true. When I load my cooker with 6 - 7lb butts, it takes a lot longer to cook them than 1 - 7 lb butt.
You are comparing 6 butts to 3 butts. Of course it will take a lot longer for 6 butts to cook than 1. You have a lot less hot air circulating the cooking chamber when you pack in 5 more pork butts into it, as well as a considerably more mass trying to raise in temp. Try putting in 3 pork butts vs the timing of 1 pork butt and it does not extend cook times to where it takes "a lot" longer to cook than 1 7lb butt.

In my mini I can cook a single 8lb pork butt in about 8hrs. When I put a second 8lb pork butt in the mini it takes me about 8.5-9hrs. I dont consider adding in 30mins-1hr time a lot more time too cook.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
Enkidu
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahog2002 View Post
Do you monitor your temps closely? I only ask because I wonder if having that amount of cold meat in a cooker would work as some sort of a heat sink and make it so you have to wait longer (or open your vents more) to get up to the same temp as if you only had one or two butts in the cooker. Theoretically, I would think as long as the butts aren't touching, if everything else remained constant, the cooking time would remain the same. That means something else must be going on so that all other things aren't equal.