Need Advice on Fatties and Chicken?

Parruthead

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey Guys

Here's my two questions!

1.)Which do I use to cook 3 chickens I was gonna spatchcock them but the wife wants at least one done beer butt style?

Its cold out here in Wisconsin I bet temps at 10 Am tomorrow will be in the high teens or low twenties, I have two 22" Kettles I could use or I could use one of my WSM's I have both sizes 18" and 22" I just don't see fitting two spatchcocked chickens and then one BB Chix on a 18" WSM? Anybody ever squeeze that much on one? I was going to plan on running it dry without a water pan. I just received my 22" WSM and havn't cooked on it but it is seasoned being i bought if from a fellow brethren member but am just leery of using it for a first time during a Christmas dinner meal Suggestions please!

2.) For dinner I was gonna attempt my first fattie does a kettle indirect work better or should I use my 18" WSM?

Thanks and PHINS UP!

PRON to Follow

As for the fattie, you don't need the WSM. The kettle indirect will be fine. Keep the heat on the high side for a good crust on a properly done fattie.

As for the chickens, I also lean towards a hotter temperature. I use my 22.5 kettle and my cajun bandit rotisserie. Low and slow gives you rubbery skin, from my experience. Id aim for 350 to 375 for a cooking temperature.

CD

Also is about 1# of Jimmy Dean mixed with about 3/4# Ground beef enough to make a decent sized fattie?

That will be a good sized fatty. The biggest I normally make are two pounds or so. Normally I just toss on one pound chubs.

Beer butt style is a myth. Spatch them and you will get better results. I also just split them after spatching to make it easier to move around the grills to make room when needed. Not sure if that helps. I love me some spatchin.

Beer butt style is a myth. Spatch them and you will get better results. I also just split them after spatching to make it easier to move around the grills to make room when needed. Not sure if that helps. I love me some spatchin.

But GreenDrake, you missed the most important part of his post: "...the wife wants at least one BB".:becky:

Parrut, can you get two BB in the WSM? Just tryin' to help.

Beers go in the mouth, not in the butt. Please be kind to your beer. I don't care what you do with your butt, but leave the beer out of it.

The beers that go in a chickens butt, such as Coors, Lone Star, and Olympia, should never, ever go in your mouth. Some beers are brewed (and I use that term loosely) to only be shoved up a chicken's butt.

Thank you all!!

I ended up firing up the 22" for my first Maiden Voyage with it. I spatchcocked two and did BB one but with a soda can of sprite, We don't drink beer in this house so I had to use what was on hand.. Hence soda butt chicken.. BTW we do drink Whiskey Brandy and Bourbon though....lol

I have three fatties made and will post pictures later. The chickens turned out ok but I wasn't happy with the skin..

Thank you all!!

I ended up firing up the 22" for my first Maiden Voyage with it. I spatchcocked two and did BB one but with a soda can of sprite, We don't drink beer in this house so I had to use what was on hand.. Hence soda butt chicken.. BTW we do drink Whiskey Brandy and Bourbon though....lol

I have three fatties made and will post pictures later. The chickens turned out ok but I wasn't happy with the skin..

Why? What happened with the skin? +1 on the bourbon btw.:thumb:

Skin was just rubbery

Here are some pictures of the things I cooked today!! Thanks for the input!

DSC_0747.jpg

DSC_0756.jpg

DSC_0754.jpg

DSC_0762.jpg

DSC_0757.jpg

DSC_0760.jpg

DSC_0769.jpg

DSC_0770.jpg

Back