MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Wedding Gig for 130 people

Wondering if I could get some advise. I have been asked to put together a quote for a wedding reception. It will be "meat only" for 130 peeps. There wanting me to price brisket and chicken and also price "Petite Steaks" and chicken. They will either go with brisket and chicken only (they provide the sides) or they will go with "Petite Steaks" and chicken (they provide the sides). My question is how much brisket and how much chicken? Looking at other threads in here and I am figuring at least a case of brisket maybe more. As for chicken I am at a loss to know how much to cook. If they go with the "petite steaks" (which i hope they don't) and the chicken I would probably do 75% steak and 25% chicken. For the cost of this I am figuring the cost of the meat, and supplies, and then figure a little extra for my time. This would be our first "real" catering gig. Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated.

Jon
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
FatBoyz
is one Smokin' Farker

you can do what we do for 3 meats only we charge $12 a plate and you will need about 4 briskets and 60 peaces of chicken if you can sell them on pulled pork you can cut those amounts...
Old 03-19-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
lazybonesmoke1
Full Fledged Farker

What do you mean "petite steaks"? Sirloin steaks, NY Strip Steaks Do they want one per guest? I would sell them pounds of meat rather than meat for 130. Give them a price per pound or per piece and let them choose how much they want.
lazybonesmoke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I need some more clear details to help here. I have never heard of going with 75% this and 25% that. In my opinion that is a recipe for disaster.

YMMV

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
Bbq Bubba

For a wedding reception, I'd go with a 6 oz chicken breast and 1/3 lb Brisket PP.
130 people X .33 = 43 lbs cooked = 86 lbs uncooked brisket.

Petite steaks sound like a 6oz strip?
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:50 PM   #6
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybonesmoke1 View Post
What do you mean "petite steaks"? Sirloin steaks, NY Strip Steaks Do they want one per guest? I would sell them pounds of meat rather than meat for 130. Give them a price per pound or per piece and let them choose how much they want.
That is a great question. I asked the lady who is wanting me to cook and she did not know. I explained to her that when you get into cooking steaks you always get into how they want them cooked and I really do not want to do that for 130 people. Thats a great idea quoting per pound. Thanks
Old 03-19-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
I need some more clear details to help here. I have never heard of going with 75% this and 25% that. In my opinion that is a recipe for disaster.

YMMV
If they went the brisket/chicken route, would I be wrong to cook brisket for 130 people (at 1/3lb pp= 8-9 10 lb briskets) and cook maybe 70 chicken pieces (Drums and thighs) or would that be a recipe for disaster? I am really trying to stear clear of the steaks because thats not easy to cook for 130 people where brisket and chicken are.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:57 PM   #8
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
For a wedding reception, I'd go with a 6 oz chicken breast and 1/3 lb Brisket PP.
130 people X .33 = 43 lbs cooked = 86 lbs uncooked brisket.

Petite steaks sound like a 6oz strip?
Thank you, this gives me a bal;l park of what I am looking at for brisket. If I cooked chicken also how would you figure that in?
Old 03-19-2009, 05:45 PM   #9
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Pulin' Pork View Post
If they went the brisket/chicken route, would I be wrong to cook brisket for 130 people (at 1/3lb pp= 8-9 10 lb briskets) and cook maybe 70 chicken pieces (Drums and thighs) or would that be a recipe for disaster? I am really trying to stear clear of the steaks because thats not easy to cook for 130 people where brisket and chicken are.
If they are paying for chicken and brisket for 130 then you should honor that and not play the guessing game. I would charge $15.99 per and I better have the food to back up the price. Will you have leftovers? Yes, did they pay for it? yes

Does this farking make sense?

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:53 PM   #10
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Pulin' Pork View Post
Thank you, this gives me a bal;l park of what I am looking at for brisket. If I cooked chicken also how would you figure that in?
130 portions.

Quote:
If they are paying for chicken and brisket for 130 then you should honor that and not play the guessing game. I would charge $15.99 per and I better have the food to back up the price. Will you have leftovers? Yes, did they pay for it? yes

Opposite sides of the country but the same thought process.

I charge for 130 people eating brisket and chicken, some wont eat chicken, some won't eat brisket, others will eat double...it all works out and your charging PP so if theres leftovers, it's paid for!

We'd probably go between 11 and 13.99 for that meal.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:10 PM   #11
Countryhb
is One Chatty Farker

As I have now learned...DO NOT SELL YOURSELF SHORT! Don't look at the overall price and think, "Damn, that sounds like a lot of money!" Look at the per person price and think about what you would pay in a good restaurant.
And as Bro Smoke has well-taught me, always always always cook too much. Way better to end up with two extra briskets than half a brisket too little...
Kamado #7
BWS Party
NB offset with baffle and chimney mods--STOLEN
Double-barrel 55-gal drum smoker
A farking weed burner...hehe hehe! Fire's Cool!
Countryhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:13 PM   #12
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

Yes it does and thanks for your help. Much appreciated. As for leftovers they can have them, they paid for them.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:24 PM   #13
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryhb View Post
As I have now learned...DO NOT SELL YOURSELF SHORT! Don't look at the overall price and think, "Damn, that sounds like a lot of money!" Look at the per person price and think about what you would pay in a good restaurant.
And as Bro Smoke has well-taught me, always always always cook too much. Way better to end up with two extra briskets than half a brisket too little...

Sniff, sniff.... I'm so, so proud of our little Country...
Old 03-20-2009, 12:07 AM   #14
Bigmista

Quote:
That's what BBS taught me too! Learned the hard way but lesson learned.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:10 AM   #15
Divemaster

Quote:

Quote:
Yes it does make sense! It's a standing rule for me to add 10% on to what my initial estimate is... I would rather leave extra than get a bad rap of being cheap and having people walk away hungry.

Quote:
BBS did well... I often run my prices by my GF... Her first statment normally is "You're almost giving it away" followed by the question of "what would that cost in a restaurant?"

Please don't tell her but, she is more often right than I am....
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote