• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Water pan or no water pan?

Texaspepper

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I have a Napoleon Apollo 3 in 1 Smoker vertical smoker which has a water pan. Thoughts on to use a water pan or fill it with sand to catch drippings.

You are going to get a 50/50 answer on this one probably.... Those smokers, like the WSM, are sorta designed to be used with a water pan. If you want easy temperature control at temps between 225-275, I would use the water pan with water. If you want to cook at temps above 275, You will probably need to nix the water.

It's pretty much like a WSM isn't it, there will be a lot of different opinions like myself I don't use water or sand but I do have a steel disk about 1/8th thick in the pan, I get great control and can go from low to hot easily. Try using differnet things and find out what best works for you.

You are going to get a 50/50 answer on this one probably.... Those smokers, like the WSM, are sorta designed to be used with a water pan. If you want easy temperature control at temps between 225-275, I would use the water pan with water. If you want to cook at temps above 275, You will probably need to nix the water.

Yep, you won't get a 100-percent definitive answer on this question.

I use water in my water bowl in my WSM. Others will tell you to use sand, or a clay pot, or rocks, or whatever. And, we all get good BBQ from our setups.

IMO, there is no "right" answer to your question -- just preferences.

CD

Sand or other materials in the water pan besides water work well for heat retention and recovery when you open the lid. What they won't do is control heat spikes from the influx of oxygen when you open the lid. The water pan WILL keep your temp from spiking significantly.

To add to what has already been said, some people believe using water adds moisture others say it does not.

I put a water pan in my Green Mountain and Egg - not sure they are needed but it makes me feel better. Since I wrap with liquid it's most likely worthless.... but heck it makes me feel better :)

Sand. At any temp. Water is not needed.

I recently discovered (on wam)sand to cause me to use more fuel and rob me of higher temp (325) on a poultry cook.

I vote pan in , but empty.

In my WSMs, I use a foiled clay flower pot base in the foiled water pan, no water.

Sent from my Android phone.

Last edited:
All Good replies

All good replies and many thanks. I smoked a 9# Brisket in the smoker with water and the temp did get up to 250 by taking out the middle unit. Here is the photos. With the middle unit I could not get the temp past 200. Final cooking temp was 180 after 9 hours. No smoke ring in the meat. Would you cook to at least 200 internal?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4578099168433&set=pcb.4578100328462&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4578099768448&set=pcb.4578100328462&type=1&theater

Back