MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 10-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #91
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Quack.

I made a great breakfast while my mom was visiting. We were out of eggs so I came up with something else -- potato chunks and duck skin fried in duck fat with warmed up smoked lamb. Mmmmmm. Great way to start a day of hard work.
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #92
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default Pepper Stoutless Beef Sammies (Root Beer Beef)

All the pepper stout beef threads lately got us hungry for some of our own.

Wanted to go down a different path this time around. Used some Henry Weinhards root beer in place of the stout. The kids love "root beer in the bottle" so I figured I'd make 'em happy with some "Root Beer Beef."

My youngest, Max (he's almost 3), gathered the ingredients. Here's what we brought home from the store...where, by the way, we said "hi" to every living soul (gotta work on that whole not talking to strangers thing). We've already seasoned the 2.5# chukie with montreal steak at this point...

Max then helped get the KBB from the bag to the smoker joe...

After an hour over oak and cherry chunks...

The peppers, onions, mushrooms, garlic, beef base and root beer into the DO..

After the first hour of cooking the DO went on bottom rack of mini, under the chuck roast.

Then after another hour, the chuckie went into the pool with everything else. Stayed in there until it probed tender.

Chuckie getting ready for a short rest before it's pulled...

After pulling...

The pulled beef went back into the DO to stay warm until dinner. Served the beef on potato buns topped with bread and butter pickles (added a great texture to the sammie). Served with some roasted sweet potatoes and onions and some more Henry's...(This is the entry pic).

"Root Beer Beef" was some good stuff!! Not a huge difference from when we make it with our standard Black Butte Porter. We did decide that I should've toasted the buns...next time.
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:29 AM   #93
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

We purchased a big lump of pork somewhere in the region of a Boston Butt, and we made a rub from scratch because there are no rubs for sale within a 4 hour jet ride.
No slather, we applied the rub 2 hours before cooking and we applied it direct to the pork.

Next, we fired up the BSKeg and got it over some hickory and let the magic begin.
TFO had caught the spirit of the novelty of the event for me and armed me with sufficient supplies...what a woman!

In case anything went pair shape

We were covered all ways

Oaxaca Salsa to get blended, I used some pork fat from the trim and heated it till it melted, then fried up garlic and smoked chilies from a few summers ago, just until they darkened.I also used cilantro(fresh) and a few other seasonings and blended it up into a tomatillo based heavenly spicy salsa

Blended up and ready to eat

The pork came off looking pretty good for my second time, I cannot complain about the tenderness, texture or taste so voila

Silky soft smokey pork!

No way am I wasting that pork skin, and we have a new favorite way to make taco's in our house!

This is my official entry and money shot please

Cracklin to make a slender woman weep!

Our Pulled Pork taco will forever get repeated!
Old 10-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #94
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Two stellar entries FMBBQ and Buccs!

I'd stuff myself silly with both and then want more.
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-27-2012, 03:52 AM   #95
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Wholly Cow!!!! I'm really impressed with those 2 entries! Hopefully more to come... but I'm sitting this one out!

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 10-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #96
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyManBBQ View Post

Chuckie getting ready for a short rest before it's pulled...
Beautiful photos, brother. I love this young smoker in training. The steak looks fantastically delicious as does the finished sammie. Good work .
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Old 10-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #97
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
[B]

Silky soft smokey pork!

I love what you have in that blender and I wish I could taste it. The pulled pork looks like heaven and that last cracklin' shot made me weep wanting it.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #98
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

With the above delicious looking pron to motivate me I'm heading out to ready and rub my pork shoulder for an overnight smoke tonight.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #99
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Chimney is lit and spread on a big bed of coal. Now it's my turn to get lit. Slowly, though, still have to find tune the vents to temperature.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #100
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

It's snowing on my cook.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #101
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy's Smokin' View Post
It's snowing on my cook.
I'm sure it will turn out great!
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #102
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I forsee someone playing the snow crutch
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #103
buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy's Smokin' View Post
It's snowing on my cook.
Could it be that the world is finally learning the secret to "Canadian Bacon"?
Old 10-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #104
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

Official Entry.

Scarlett is being extra patient with me so no time to say much more than.

Here is the cook thread.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=146889

Here the money shot.

Thanks for looking
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #105
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
I forsee someone playing the snow crutch
It stopped snowing so I'll have to use the hurricane crutch. Phase 1 and 2 in this cook are done which included a 14 hour overnight pork shoulder smoke. I'm baking Phase 3 in the oven instead of outside on the smoker. Just finished pulling that 14# shoulder and my back is done but there is still a fair bit to do. Good vibes to my rural internet working to post tonight. My heart goes out to those who got and are getting the worst of Sandy's temper, we'll get a reduced share tomorrow. Our winds have been picking up throughout the day with neverending rain -- strangely they're still coming from the north with an Arctic chill.

I decided to leave the cover off my kamado smoker and BBQ to create less wind resistance. What do you guys do with your equipment in high winds? We're expecting 90 to 120 km/hr winds tomorrow (56 to 74 mph).