MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:18 AM   #1
DMDon
Full Fledged Farker

Default Shipping Q

I need advice on the best way to ship 6 racks of ribs and 2 briskets to Las Vegas. Will pack it in dry ice. What kind of container should I use and where can I get it? How long will dry ice last? If I don't ship it ahead, can I check it as baggage on Southwest airlines?
KCBS CBJ #23234
DMDon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2008, 09:32 AM   #2
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yes, you can ship it on Southwest. That's what I would do because it just counts as one of the two bags you can check for free. I've done it a couple of times.

If shipping on Southwest I would use real ice and not dry ice. If you use real ice, it only has to be in plastic bag inside the cooler. If it's dry ice, it has to be a vented container.

I put the ice in plastic bags and hardened it up in a shape that was as close to the shape of the cooler. Put ice bags in cooler, ribs in plastic bags (trash bags) and put them on top of the ice. Cover with towels or whatever to take up any air space, Wrap a strap around the cooler and check it as luggage.

I'm assuming the ribs are still cryo'd so putting them in a trash bag will be okay. As long as the cooler is less than 50lbs you'll have no excess baggage. Either way,it's probably cheaper than buying dry ice and shipping UPS or Fed Ex.

Hope this helps.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2008, 09:42 AM   #3
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp1fox View Post
Yes, you can ship it on Southwest. That's what I would do because it just counts as one of the two bags you can check for free. I've done it a couple of times.

If shipping on Southwest I would use real ice and not dry ice. If you use real ice, it only has to be in plastic bag inside the cooler. If it's dry ice, it has to be a vented container.

I put the ice in plastic bags and hardened it up in a shape that was as close to the shape of the cooler. Put ice bags in cooler, ribs in plastic bags (trash bags) and put them on top of the ice. Cover with towels or whatever to take up any air space, Wrap a strap around the cooler and check it as luggage.

I'm assuming the ribs are still cryo'd so putting them in a trash bag will be okay. As long as the cooler is less than 50lbs you'll have no excess baggage. Either way,it's probably cheaper than buying dry ice and shipping UPS or Fed Ex.

Hope this helps.
I have done it exactly this way on many a trip when i go down to the in laws in Florida and never had a problem
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote