Brefas sausage

Yo Ed, I have used this recipe before and will be using it again this weekend. This is a recipe by Paul Kirk and I like it. I don't have a sausage stuffer so I roll fatties out of the mix. I have gone from making five one pound rolls (454 grams) out of the five pound mix to seven 324 gram rolls. I find the smaller rolls hold together better and keep a more round shape that the 454 gram rolls.

Breakfast Sausage

​5 lb meat
2 TBL Rubbed Sage
1 TBL Black Pepper
1 TBL Sugar
2 tsp Kosher Salt
1 tsp Ground Thyme
1 tsp Summer Savory
½ tsp Cayenne Pepper

I make a Cumberland style that is very delicious. Fresh sage is key as is the small hint of mace, the combination is remarkable.

Cumberland sausage:

1 Kg medium or course ground pork
1.5% salt
2g fresh minced sage
1g mace
2g white pepper
2g red Chile flake
1g cracked black pepper

Enjoy

Ed, here are a couple...

Lukainka

This is a French Basque farm style sausage. I make this and form into patties, then freeze. Feel free to add any 'signature seasoning' you like.

1000g - ground pork butt
15g - salt - (1.5%)
2g - black pepper - (0.2%)
1g - white pepper - (0.1%)
3.5g - Minced garlic - (0.35%) - Note: use 5g if you really like garlic (.5%) as much as I do.
0.7g - crushed red pepper (0.07%) -
1/4 teaspoon dried parsley (or just eyeball the amount)
Icy water - Make about 1 cup per kilogram of meat, and add enough while mixing to get a 'sticky' texture.

Grind the meat, mix in the seasonings and water until well blended. Let rest overnight for seasonings to blend.

===== Number Two =====

Country Singer Breakfast Sausage

Per one pound of ground pork butt:

1 tsp Morton Kosher salt (this is 1% salt)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp red pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp thyme
1/8 tsp sage
1/8 tsp oregano
3/4 tsp dried parsley
Icy water. Add enough when mixing to get a sticky texture.

Grind the meat, mix in the seasonings and water until well blended. Let rest overnight for seasonings to blend.

Can't help you with brefas sausage, but LEM makes a pretty good breakfast sausage seasoning mix.

Fresh sage is key as is the small hint of mace

Is it just me or is mace hard to find these days? It's been a few years since I bought any, but went to both local groceries stores the other day to find some and neither carry it anymore. :sad: Maybe it's just there's no call for it in my small town so they don't sell enough to keep it in stock.

The Kroger near me doesn't stock it either. You have to order it.
WalMart stocks their Great Value brand but nothing else. If you don't like their brand you have to order.
Must not be too popular.

Is it just me or is mace hard to find these days? It's been a few years since I bought any, but went to both local groceries stores the other day to find some and neither carry it anymore. :sad: Maybe it's just there's no call for it in my small town so they don't sell enough to keep it in stock.

I live in a small town and have no trouble finding mace, but that said, you can substitute nutmeg it’s just not exactly the same but mace and nutmeg come from the same nut. Nutmeg is the ground nut and mace is the ground shell of the same nut. Still give it a go with nutmeg.

Back