Grilled Bread Salad With Basil & Tomatoes

BBQ Grail

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Original Blog Post

Grilled-Bread4.jpg

I came across this recipe on the Fine Cooking website. I was looking for something a little different and came across this salad. I was intrigued by the use of grilled bread with a red wine vinegar dressing and how soggy the grilled bread would get.

This salad with the cheese and herbs was amazing. I don't have permission to reproduce the recipe here. But I can assure you it's worth a look.

I used a ciabatta bread with fresh basil and fresh mozzarella cheese. The bread didn't get soggy and tasted amazing.

Grilled-Bread1.jpg

Grilled-Bread3.jpg

Recipe

I could be wrong but a common term for sald with bread in it is panzanella. I love these salads as the bread has time to absorb the oil and vinegar from the dressing and makes for a delicous bite

This is one of my favorite things to grill in the summer. We usually wait till are garden is producing tomatoes and I use paste/romas since they tend to hold up longer on the grill. I also use red onions instead of green. I may be making this sooner after looking at this pic. Looks darn tasty.

I could be wrong but a common term for sald with bread in it is panzanella. I love these salads as the bread has time to absorb the oil and vinegar from the dressing and makes for a delicous bite

A panzanella is a Florentine salad that uses stale bread. Similar but I prefer because this is a BBQ forum and my blog is about grilling and bbq to call it a Grilled Bread Salad...

You are correct though on the bread soaking up the oil and vinegar. This salad tasted awesome.

Amazing Photos

Larry,

Your life-like pics have made me way too hungry for a saturday morning. Thats a great idea when you've got the hot grill.

Thanks for sharing. Even with my favorite bread!

Jim

Just wanted to say that I've been intrigued by this since I saw it and with company over I made it tonight. It was AWESOME. Will definitely be making this again. Good gosh it stole the show from my scratch lasagna.

Great find, Larry.

Looks like bruschetta in a bowl right there! I LOVE fresh basil, bread and tomatoes! A perfect combo!

We make bruschetta all summer long here! We've got the fresh basil, just waitin on the maters!

That really looks great! I just went to Fine Cooking's website and printed the recipe. I'm cooking dinner for my daughter tomorrow night, and that salad will go perfectly with the dinner I have planned. Thanks for sharing that.

Back