HEB Wagyu Brisket $5.99

pjtexas1

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Picked up this 11 pounder with a thick flat and best marbling I've seen in person. New supplier. They will be carrying them regularly and said I could call to order a case and they would hold it for me to get first pick and put the rest out in the bins. Hopefully I can find time to fire up the shirley this weekend.

The old supplier was not great. Huge 20LB briskets with the skinniest flats I've ever seen and $7.99/LB.
59ce43af5ee415294e8d87d0b60b9612.jpg
56074660777e3aaf820c23a9026226b1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nice find Paul! All this inexpensive (relatively) Wagyu brisket is starting to worry me though. Marketing ploy is what I see considering the availability of Wagyu beef. It does look right though.

Grab it while you can. Ultimately they will run out and the marketing campaign will begin.

There were only 2. The other one had a skinny flat. Maybe after I cook this one I'll order more. Absolutely no space in the freezer.

Did you go back? We don’t have Costco nor HEB. I did peruse the meat bins at Sams. I’ve never seen Wagyu there. They had an entire bin of beef tongue. Started to buy a small one, but didn’t. Wagyu beef tongue. Life’s little scavenger hunts.

Did you go back? We don’t have Costco nor HEB. I did peruse the meat bins at Sams. I’ve never seen Wagyu there. They had an entire bin of beef tongue. Started to buy a small one, but didn’t. Wagyu beef tongue. Life’s little scavenger hunts.
No. Gotta cook this one first and see if their worth it. Butcher acted like they would be there regularly.

Cecelia by Simon and Garfunkel comes to mind

I got one in the freezer, probably save it for a comp in a couple weeks, let us know how you like it!

Nice find Paul! All this inexpensive (relatively) Wagyu brisket is starting to worry me though. Marketing ploy is what I see considering the availability of Wagyu beef. It does look right though.

I wonder if there is just a bigger demand for it now, and the herds are starting to catch up and driving down the price a bit? I figure 10 years or so ago, some competition people started using them, then everyone in comps uses them now, plus the home/consumer market. But I agree, hopefully the proliferation of it doesnt drive down quality in order to meet demand.

I wonder if there is just a bigger demand for it now, and the herds are starting to catch up and driving down the price a bit? I figure 10 years or so ago, some competition people started using them, then everyone in comps uses them now, plus the home/consumer market. But I agree, hopefully the proliferation of it doesnt drive down quality in order to meet demand.

Yup!

Maybe? Crossbreeds I can say yeah but to supply a chain of supermarkets regularly? I don't know. Then again, I don't know how big HEB is. Well, I know it's a TX thing? Oh and most importantly what does it take to qualify your beef as Wagyu nowadays? :becky: When there is money to be made rules get bent pretty easy. At the end of the day it's experience and a judgement call. Paul looks to have picked up great stuff.

I do know that the crossbreed SRF Gold is the best brisket I've ever cooked/had. Period!

lF6VdUvh.jpg

QokMN9Dh.jpg

QSqXDb7h.jpg

mTbxZe9h.jpg

Yup!

Maybe? Crossbreeds I can say yeah but to supply a chain of supermarkets regularly? I don't know. Then again, I don't know how big HEB is. Well, I know it's a TX thing? Oh and most importantly what does it take to qualify your beef as Wagyu nowadays? :becky: When there is money to be made rules get bent pretty easy. At the end of the day it's experience and a judgement call. Paul looks to have picked up great stuff.

I do know that the crossbreed SRF Gold is the best brisket I've ever cooked/had. Period!

lF6VdUvh.jpg

QokMN9Dh.jpg

QSqXDb7h.jpg

mTbxZe9h.jpg
I remember that cook. You were the first one that ever put into words what wagyu really was in a way that I could relate. Been looking for one since then.

I remember that cook. You were the first one that ever put into words what wagyu really was in a way that I could relate. Been looking for one since then.

:thumb: Waiting for your cook and your thoughts. Anxiously!

85% of the Wagyu sold in the US is crossbred, with most of these breedings being with commercial angus stock. As a commercial rancher we are considering injecting Wagyu influence into a portion of our herd. Here is a great article on Wagyu beef.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blogs....ssifications-in-the-united-states?hs_amp=true

Back