MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:03 PM   #1
SlowmotionQue
Full Fledged Farker

Default This Is Why I Laugh.....

....when someone tries to talk to me about "searing" a steak on a pellet grill.

And it is why I laugh especially hard when someone tries to tell me about a $2,000.00 pellet grill and "searing" a steak on such a grill, which might reach 550° at it's thermometer on a good day.

Now as the owner of a pellet grill, A Rec Tec RT590 Stampede, two Weber Smokey Mountains, and a Kamado Joe Classic with nearly every available accessory from the Joetisserie, down to cast iron grates and griddle, and so much cast iron in the house from skillets to Dutch Ovens, to cast iron Oyster trays, I feel that I am in a position here to talk.

As a long time DIYer, with just about any tool that you can name, and working on anything from cars to carpentry, I'm a firm believer in the right tool for the given job. Every good DIYer knows that a big part of the battle, is choosing the right tool, and knowing how to use it.

You don't remove 7/16 bolts with Channel Lock pliers or Vise Grips, when you have a 7/16 socket and all the extensions, universal joints, swivels and wrenches you need. Unless you just want to make it hard on yourself.

Yes, you can remove some 7/16 bolts with Channel Locks and Vice Grips. But why?

You can drive nails through 2x4 studs with a socket wrench if you hit them just right and hard enough. But again, why?

Likewise, when it comes to cooking. I'm a big believer in that same adage, "the right tool for the given job".

Anyway, one of my Father's Day gifts, was this laser thermometer, and I have been playing around with it, adjusting it for different surfaces. The pics below, show it measuring the temperature of my cast iron griddles on my Kamado Joe with stoked Royal Oak lump charcoal providing the heat, not pellets.

Anyway, without further ado, and this is not even with the KJ pegged as I have been known to do.

Now, we're talking at least.

This isn't the greatest grade of meat, but here goes.

A little garlic butter for this snack, Wrap it and let it rest for 5 mins.

Plate it, and that's some good eating.

Much love to the pellet grill/smoker folks, as I am one of you as well.

But the right tool for the job.

Last edited by SlowmotionQue; 06-17-2019 at 10:29 PM..
SlowmotionQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 06-17-2019, 10:21 PM   #2
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

991* is another level. I’m no pellet guy but we’ve got several pellet guys here who have turned out some excellent cooks complete with good sear on their pooper. Guess they did it with something shy of 991*. In any case, I bet your steak was good.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-17-2019, 10:26 PM   #3
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2019, 10:28 PM   #4
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

As a kamado and a pellet grill owner, i get what youre laying down and I agree generally, but you wouldve gotten a much better sear on that thing using just the regular grates...I see only about 60% Malliard Reaction coverage, and the bone makes it especially difficult on a griddle or cast iron that relies almost solely on direct contact with protein.

I can get a near 100% sear surface coverage on my Primo with cast iron grates and a 400* dome temp.

5ish minutes on the first side, 4ish on the next, 400* dome, cast iron grates direct vvv
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190614-212522_Photos.jpg (86.4 KB, 776 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190614-212443_Photos.jpg (57.8 KB, 773 views)

Last edited by sudsandswine; 06-17-2019 at 10:51 PM..
sudsandswine is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:41 PM   #5
SonnyE
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sonny

I'm sorry but your post is quite snarky.
I'll shut you down because you don't know that a 7/16" wrench or socket fits a 1/4" bolt. Either 1/4 x 20tpi (National Course), or a 1/4 x 28tpi (National Fine).
Your idea of a sear is, in fact, your idea of a sear. It does not make anyone else wrong, nor you right.
It makes it your preference.
Maybe you've had your nose to the cup a few too many?
To what did you calibrate your Infrared? And who's to say it is accurate at all?
Enjoy whatever got your high.
But I believe it is the cook, not the BS, that makes the meal.
And not whether or not it was Branded at a determinate temperature.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:55 PM   #6
SlowmotionQue
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyE View Post
I'm sorry but your post is quite snarky.
I'll shut you down because you don't know that a 7/16" wrench or socket fits a 1/4" bolt. Either 1/4 x 20tpi (National Course), or a 1/4 x 28tpi (National Fine).
Which one would you remove with a pair of Channel Locks or Vise grips if you had the correct socket in your tool box?

That was the point.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:00 PM   #7
SlowmotionQue
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
As a kamado and a pellet grill owner, i get what youre laying down and I agree generally, but you wouldve gotten a much better sear on that thing using just the regular grates...I see only about 60% Malliard Reaction coverage, and the bone makes it especially difficult on a griddle or cast iron that relies almost solely on direct contact with protein.

I can get a near 100% sear surface coverage on my Primo with cast iron grates and a 400* dome temp.

5ish minutes on the first side, 4ish on the next, 400* dome, cast iron grates direct vvv

I'll keep that in mind, so thanks for the insight.

I was just throwing on a light snack here. This steak came from my local supermarket, and if you look closely, the cast iron grate is adjacent to the griddle, so yes, I could have used the grate, and will next time as per your observation.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:04 PM   #8
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowmotionQue View Post
Yes, you can remove some 7/16 bolts with Channel Locks and Vice Grips. But why?.
This is literally my preferred method to remove 7/16 bolts. I wouldn't do it any other way.
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2019, 11:06 PM   #9
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I cooked a tbone in cast iron on the stove Saturday that looked almost exactly like yours as far as coverage goes. If you put enough fat (butter, oil) into the pan to maintain contact with protein you can often work around an inconsistent surface due to curvature or a bone. But once you lose that contact or let water build up between the metal and meat surfaces, its hard to overcome.

I'm not saying my way is THE right way, but I have found some methods that work for me.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:09 PM   #10
KB BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Kenny

Quote:
....when someone tries to talk to me about "searing" a steak on a pellet grill.

And it is why I laugh especially hard when someone tries to tell me about a $2,000.00 pellet grill and "searing" a steak on such a grill, which might reach 550° at it's thermometer on a good day.
No need to laugh at someone just talking BBQ, maybe they're just not as informed as you are.
4 WSM's 1 WGA and stuff to make Fire & Smoke

KB BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2019, 11:09 PM   #11
SlowmotionQue
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmeatfist View Post
This is literally my preferred method to remove 7/16 bolts. I wouldn't do it any other way.
More power to you.

I'm sure that somewhere out there, there are those who prefer to drive framing nails with a tack hammer, for whatever reasons.

I'm not saying that it can't be done, and I'm not saying whether it's necessarily right or wrong. Each to his own.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:13 PM   #12
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

Quote:
More power to you.

I'm sure that somewhere, there are those who prefer to drive framing nails with a tack hammer.

Each to his own.
Okay that is just weird. I use a sledge hammer exclusively.
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2019, 11:18 PM   #13
SonnyE
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sonny

Quote:
Which one would you remove with a pair of Channel Locks or Vise grips if you had the correct socket in your tool box?

That was the point.
The one that was FUBARed by a previous turd.
And I've had better luck with Vice Grips because they can hold better. Until I have to drill and use an appropriate Easy-Out, left handed drill bit, Drill and tap to remove the trashed bolt, or repair it with a Helicoil. Short of resorting to welding to repair the part.
My Channel Locks are used for conduits and pipes.

My point is, and was, you are berating others and using an uncalibrated tool as your reference.

Of course if you are drinking Scotch, that would explain a whole lot of your attitude. I'd sooner drink Paint Thinner than Scotch.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:21 PM   #14
SlowmotionQue
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmeatfist View Post
Okay that is just weird. I use a sledge hammer exclusively.
I'm planning on building a shed for my riding mower and some other landscaping equipment. Would you be able to lend a hand?

Old 06-17-2019, 11:24 PM   #15
buenavides
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Wow, that looks juicy and flavorful. The outcome is definitely not a joke.
buenavides is offline   Reply With Quote