calling all weber summit owners

ironmanerik

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I am spending the 4th at a relatives. The only grill there is a brand new Weber summit, she hasn't even used it yet. I have no experience with one so a couple of questions
-can I grill like I normally would on my Weber 26
-is lump the way to go or briquettes
-basic start up for a butt/ brisket cook
-anything else you deem important
- years of smoking and grilling just not on one of these

I prefer briquettes on mine.

Yes, use the hinged deflector.

For long cooks, light about 10 briquettes to start. Set to smoke setting on lower damper and close top damper down a bit when about 25 degrees below target temp.

I’ll bet you can find the manual online and take a look. It is quite thorough on how to operate it.

Good luck. It is a great cooker. You will want one after you use it.

It may not hold temperature as well, or as low as you might want, because it isn't broken in yet and greased up. Just plan on it running 250-275, not 225 F. 225 is possible after breaking it in.

While the gas igniter should work (if gas cylinder is connected) I prefer to light using a chimney or just a starter cube on the pile of charcoal.

No need for a water pan.

My top vent is usually open less than 1/4 of the way and bottom vent on smoke setting to run 250-275. Sometimes just a sliver.

I just make a "pan" out of heavy duty foil to keep drippings off the deflector.

Was at my local ACE last week and perused the grills/smokers they had just inside the door. My first time getting touchy-feely with a Weber Summit charcoal, sans cooking with one. It struck me as a very well made grill. I still think the price is ludicrous even if they cut it in half.

Don't be afraid. Fire that thing up like any kettle you've used in the past. Lump.

Last edited:
Was at my local ACE last week and perused the grills/smokers they had just inside the door. My first time getting touchy-feely with a Weber Summit charcoal, sans cooking with one. It struck me as a very well made grill. I still think the price is ludicrous even if they cut it in half.

Don't be afraid. Fire that thing up like any kettle you've used in the past. Lump.

for what it is worth, i've had mine for 2 years now i think and it remains my favorite grill ever. just does everything right for me.

wp_ss_20190625_0001.jpg
from the Weber manual

For a long cook do you just spread briquettes/lump on the grate like this manual shows, use the little baskets they give you or make some type of basket yourself?

Back