Cookin' with Smoker Joe

FamilyManBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Did a little cookin' with our Smoker Joe (smokey joe converted to mini wsm with tamale steamer).

42190.jpg

Stubb's. Minioned.

42194.jpg

Rubbed the tips with Bovine Bold.

42206.jpg

JD Maple. Brown sugar and black pepper inside. D-Dogs Maple rub on outside.

42208.jpg

Fatty on. With some ground beef (to go along with one of the tips inside Katie's "oaky smokey tri-tip chili"). Hickory, apple, oak chips for smoke.

42212.jpg

Held pretty steady @250is dome. Bottom vents about 2/3 closed.

42217.jpg

Once beef and fatty were done...tri-tips cooked over nice chunk of oak. Kept them in the smoke until @120 internal.

42224.jpg

The reverse sear. Both hit just over 130 internal after few minutes on each side. Was tasty...a touch overdone, I think. Though, the family is usually happier with a little less pink.

Would show some sliced pics...but it always gets crazy once I bring the food inside.

Next up, some chili!! Thanks for looking.

I am also a smokey joe lover. Nice job, Chris.
Thanks man!! These little guys are great! Cooks enough food to feed the family without having to fire up the WSM/drum.

Can't wait for the CB version...my aluminum pot is showing some wear.

Good lookin' eats right there! Tri Tip is kind of tough to find around here, but it's worth the search when you find it.

I love to see more portable cooking lately!
Nice work...it all looks good!

Familyman, what did you do, cut the bottom of the tamale pot out??

It seems to me that you might get away with just drilling some large holes in the bottom around the perimeter. Then the bottom would act like a heat spreader and/or shelf for a water pan.

KevG

Great pics...I am intrigued can you show a wider shot and maybe a parts list...I would like to see the whole Smokey Joe set up. I am constantly amazed the level of creativity and engineering amongst the Brethren and have a old Smokey Joe in need of a better life. Thanks!

Last edited:
It seems to me that you might get away with just drilling some large holes in the bottom around the perimeter. Then the bottom would act like a heat spreader and/or shelf for a water pan.

KevG

I've seen that done on the Weber site, including one that was done very recently. Probably lends some strength to the pot itself also

I like the option of removing my clay saucer and cooking UDS style...with juices dripping on hot coals.

Great pics...I am intrigued can you show a wider shot...I would like to see the whole Smokey Joe set up. I am constantly amazed the level of creativity and engineering amongst the Brethren. Thanks!

Think there are some wider shots here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95229

Gotta give credit to some older posts here, and TVWB site, for inspiring me. Copied what many had already done.

Check out swamprb's posts here in Q-talk for pics of his use of the Cajun Bandit version. Got to see him, and the mini bandit, in action recently. A very solid unit...gonna have to get one myself.

Back