Sandwich bread holding

ColdFyre

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm going to be doing my 1st catering event making brisket sandwiches in a few weeks and so far, my test runs with bread have been less than stellar. It usually comes out too hard and/or dry... I want my bread to be soft and warm

I will not have an oven available to me but I will have some slow cooker/roaster ovens that I can borrow.

Any hints on how y'all do it? (I'll be using either brioche rolls or something of the like.

Thanks!

That's more difficult than it seems. Soft just means fresh. But any heating of the bread also dries it out. The only way to hold bread warm without drying it out is with steam. Think steamer cabinet for hot dog buns to get a mental picture. IMHO: it's more trouble than it's worth.

You didn't mention how many servings but if it wasn't too large of an event I would experiment with an electric roaster. A rack set above water and possibly perforated pans to hold the bread. The steam cabinet is a great idea.

The trick is to use fresh bread, not warm. Holding buns can be a nightmare without the proper equipment.
Hot bbq on a room temp fresh bun is fully acceptable.

warm, moist buns

Try a roaster with a rack in the bottom with a clean, moistened towel under the rack.. Keep the towel moistened as needed .. Play with your temp until you get it right, 140 to 150 most likely.. Works with bread, buns, biscuits, cornbread etc.. wildherre

Back