Redesigned Lone Star Grillz 20" Offset Smokers - Review Videos

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Can you clarify? Are you talking about the gasket inside the cook chamber door?

For instance, if you were cooking in the rain, would the rain make its way into the cooking chamber through the door seal? I heard this question come up before to the company in one of their videos, but haven't seen it answered by LSG yet.

Thanks for all of your updates...quick question, if you have a chance, can you check the list for water leakage? I'm worries that rain water will be able to penetrate the seal on top

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I have a LSG 24 X 36 HOS and never had water infiltrate including melting snow and driving rain.

For instance, if you were cooking in the rain, would the rain make its way into the cooking chamber through the door seal? I heard this question come up before to the company in one of their videos, but haven't seen it answered by LSG yet.

It never even occurred to me. I'll take a closer look when I get a chance.

From today's experience, I determined that I need to learn when and how long to crack the door to increase the temp and when and how long to open the door to lower the temp. There is definitely a steep learning curve.

Dont pull your hair out or stress over trying to maintain a tight temp. Its going to go up and down. Just let it do its thing. As long as you don't accidentally build some massive fire, you will be fine. No need to crack doors to change temps. Mine can swing 50-75 degrees. No biggie. It will come down. Your goal is to keep the fire clean. If things near the firebox look like they are getting too much heat, just rotate around or simply move it away if you have room.

Fire management is not hard at all if you dont overthink everything.

Last edited:
Dont pull your hair out or stress over trying to maintain a tight temp. Its going to go up and down. Just let it do its thing. As long as you don't accidentally build some massive fire, you will be fine. No need to crack doors to change temps. Mine can swing 50-75 degrees. No biggie. It will come down. Your goal is to keep the fire clean. If things near the firebox look like they are getting too much heat, just rotate around or simply move it away if you have room.

I've always struggled more with killing my fire, not with high temps. Hence cracking the door when I put a new split on. However, Chris Goodlander watched my first cook video and told me my splits are too big. I will certainly split them for my next cook and see what happens.

I've always struggled more with killing my fire, not with high temps. Hence cracking the door when I put a new split on. However, Chris Goodlander watched my first cook video and told me my splits are too big. I will certainly split them for my next cook and see what happens.

What size splits are recommended?

What size splits are recommended?

I think he said I should use a split about half the size of what would be used in their 24" diameter smokers on my new 20". I'm assuming because the firebox and intake on the 20" is significantly smaller than the 24s.

I think he said I should use a split about half the size of what would be used in their 24" diameter smokers on my new 20". I'm assuming because the firebox and intake on the 20" is significantly smaller than the 24s.

What size splits did the 24 need? Makes it easier to figure out 1/2 their size:wink:

You’re right Rockinar. I was stressing because LSG’s instructions say to keep the pit around 225/250 during the seasoning. I was worried about causing damage by overshooting. Moving forward, I will focus more on learning how to keep the fire clean.

What size splits did the 24 need? Makes it easier to figure out 1/2 their size:wink:

I'm not sure how to quantify what my splits look like. They show up in my seasoning video, I think that's where Chris saw them and made the suggestion. The load of oak and cherry I had delivered are about 16" long and remind me of the same diameter I used to use in our small woodstove. Like a good sized piece of firewood (but not huge). He said cut them in half with my chopsaw and try that. I plan to :)

You’re right Rockinar. I was stressing because LSG’s instructions say to keep the pit around 225/250 during the seasoning. I was worried about causing damage by overshooting. Moving forward, I will focus more on learning how to keep the fire clean.

Chris also reminded me that it's about small, clean fires. I was thinking I needed a little bit larger, clean fire to maintain the coal bed. But with smaller splits as Chris suggested to me, I think smaller, clean fires is achievable. Can't believe I didn't think of that.

Chris also reminded me that it's about small, clean fires. I was thinking I needed a little bit larger, clean fire to maintain the coal bed. But with smaller splits as Chris suggested to me, I think smaller, clean fires is achievable. Can't believe I didn't think of that.

Two things that many folks forget to do when they get into trouble on their new smokers: 1) read and understand the directions that come with the smoker and; 2) call Chris is something does not seem right when cooking. (Just like Akmimak did with Chris)

I got one of the kindling cracker splitters (can’t remember who on this site had recommended them but it was a brethren)- way easier than axe or hammer and maul- and my kiddos love doing it as well. It allows me to get splits various sizes fast and easy; then i use split size to control fire better... they come in 2 sizes. Worth having a look...

https://www.kindlingcracker.com/pages/product-features

And SWEEEET pit & videos! Love all the user info.

Attachments

• B6CDC12A-32EE-42B4-8DA9-E105F9DB163B.jpg
    B6CDC12A-32EE-42B4-8DA9-E105F9DB163B.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 234
I got one of the kindling cracker splitters (can’t remember who on this site had recommended them but it was a brethren)- way easier than axe or hammer and maul- and my kiddos love doing it as well. It allows me to get splits various sizes fast and easy; then i use split size to control fire better... they come in 2 sizes. Worth having a look...

Those look like an awesome tool but I am all spent out on BBQ toys for the moment. I'll have to use my chopsaw.

Thank you for the encouragement! Having a great time learning the pit and making videos.

I have the large one and love it. Works great with my 4lb sledge hammer.

Thanks for the shout out! Slight correction... I'm actually in Northern CA, around 30 miles east of San Francisco. However, I am a graduate from USC. I'm enjoying the wealth of information and sharing of knowledge about LSG's offsets. My experience would be at least 10 times more challenging without forums like this.

30 miles east of San Francisco so you must be close to my parents. They moved from the Houston area to Alamo about 3 or 4 years ago!

thanks for the shout out! Slight correction... I'm actually in northern ca, around 30 miles east of san francisco. However, i am a graduate from usc. I'm enjoying the wealth of information and sharing of knowledge about lsg's offsets. My experience would be at least 10 times more challenging without forums like this.

fight on!

Back