Anyone Tried Morton's Sea Salt?

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Has anyone tried this yet? I'm hoping it will be priced reasonably enough to use it instead of kosher in my rubs.

seasalt.jpg

I've had the yellow container for about a year. I use it in place of Kosher for injections, and have been happy with it. I also use it on anything grilled instead of Kosher.

For the cook's purposes, the main difference between salts is in their texture. Table salt's fine granules dissolve quickly, making it the preferred salt of bakers. Sea salt and kosher salt possess larger, irregular grains that add a delightful crunch and hit of briny flavor when sprinkled on food at the last minute. Generally, savvy cooks prefer kosher salt when cooking, since its coarse texture is easier to take a pinch of when seasoning savory dishes.

Chemically there is little difference between kitchen salts. All are at least 97 1/2 percent sodium chloride. But there are significant differences in the provenance and processing of these salts.
Table salt is mined from underground salt deposits, and includes a small portion of calcium silicate, an anti-caking agent added to prevent clumping. It possesses very fine crystals and a sharp taste. Because of its fine grain a single teaspoon of table salt contains more salt than a tablespoon of kosher or sea salt.
Sea salt is harvested from evaporated seawater and receives little or no processing, leaving in tact the minerals from the water it came from. These minerals flavor and color the salt slightly. However, because these salts often come at a dear price, it is worth keeping in mind that they lose their unique flavor when cooked or dissolved. Kosher salt takes its name from its use in the koshering process. It contains no preservatives and can be derived from either seawater or underground sources. Aside from being a great salt to keep within arm's reach when you are cooking, it is particularly useful in preserving, because its large crystals draw moisture out of meats and other foods more effectively than other salts

I was using the Fine Grind in rubs, but have moved to free flowing table salt because of cost.

The containers pictures are $2 to $2.25 at my local supermarkets. A box of table salt is 3/4 that price for 4x the salt.

If I want a coarse grind, I reach for Kosher.

Last edited:
For the cook's purposes, the main difference between salts is in their texture. Table salt's fine granules dissolve quickly, making it the preferred salt of bakers. Sea salt and kosher salt possess larger, irregular grains that add a delightful crunch and hit of briny flavor when sprinkled on food at the last minute. Generally, savvy cooks prefer kosher salt when cooking, since its coarse texture is easier to take a pinch of when seasoning savory dishes.

Chemically there is little difference between kitchen salts. All are at least 97 1/2 percent sodium chloride. But there are significant differences in the provenance and processing of these salts.
Table salt is mined from underground salt deposits, and includes a small portion of calcium silicate, an anti-caking agent added to prevent clumping. It possesses very fine crystals and a sharp taste. Because of its fine grain a single teaspoon of table salt contains more salt than a tablespoon of kosher or sea salt.
Sea salt is harvested from evaporated seawater and receives little or no processing, leaving in tact the minerals from the water it came from. These minerals flavor and color the salt slightly. However, because these salts often come at a dear price, it is worth keeping in mind that they lose their unique flavor when cooked or dissolved. Kosher salt takes its name from its use in the koshering process. It contains no preservatives and can be derived from either seawater or underground sources. Aside from being a great salt to keep within arm's reach when you are cooking, it is particularly useful in preserving, because its large crystals draw moisture out of meats and other foods more effectively than other salts

That's hogwash. The main difference between table salt and kosher salt is the iodide that is added to make it iodized. Without that we as humans would not get it at all. It staves of goiters. I'll bet that almost no one here has ever seen someone with a goiter. Your grand parents probably did. It is pretty much a non issue these days because of the added element.

Goaders

When I was kid in Germany early 70s alot of the older german folk woman i've noticed had goiters, but its not so prevalent today!

I'll bet that almost no one here has ever seen someone with a goiter.
My wife had one. :eek: Seriously. Her thyroid had some tumors that made one side about the size of a child's fist. There's a whole 'nother story about how it went undiagnosed for years. :mad: Of course, it wasn't as big as some of the olde tyme goiters, but the nurse practitioner noticed it. :roll:

Anyways, iodine is important.

That's hogwash. The main difference between table salt and kosher salt is the iodide that is added to make it iodized. Without that we as humans would not get it at all. It staves of goiters. I'll bet that almost no one here has ever seen someone with a goiter. Your grand parents probably did. It is pretty much a non issue these days because of the added element.

I did not know that's why they Iodized salt. Do you think there is enough iodized salt in the processed foods that we all eat? Could the salt we actually have on our table not require enough Iodine?

We have used sea salt in our home for a long time and I really prefer it over regular table salt....I think the taste is up to the one using it

Back