WSM Vents

I will try more coals. That just seems like it will make the load burn quicker. I am trying to figure out how people get 12 hour burns out of lump

What is the reason to start w/ briqs?

"Smothering" the fire adds to length of burn. So, all lump + bigger chimney + cracked intakes = long, hot burn.

I start with Briqs because they are easier to light in a chimney. I had been using crap lump and most of it would just fall through. Wicked Good is bigger but I still think it is easier to light KBB and put it on the lump

I fill up my charcoal ring to the top with fuel.
I light it in 3 places with a high output propane torch.
I let it burn for about 10 - 15 minutes before putting the cooker together.
I always leave the top vent fully open, unless I have a temperature problem.
I start with the 3 bottom vents fully open, and close them off as I approach my target temperature. Most cooks have 2 fully closed, and the 3rd about 1/4 - 1/2 open.
I do not use water. I was using a foiled clay flower pot base in the foiled water pan, now I just foil the water pan.
If I use lump and let her rip, both my WSMs will go up to 375F or so.
A WSM dome thermometer tends to read about 50F lower than the actual temperature at the top grate.
Good luck.

I'm running my 22.5 right now. 3 racks of baby's on the top, a pan of baked beans on the bottom. I'm using all RO lump,. full ring, foiled water pan dry. I have one bottom vent open and I'm running at 300. I'd like to be at 275, but I closed the vents a little to late. It's also pretty chilly here today only 45.

Is there enough room on the grates for proper air flow. I've had 2 times when I had a tough time keeping the temp up. one was due to high winds, and the other was due to too much food in the cooker.

Don't rely on the temp gauge you get with the smoker. I have 2 WSM and either one of the temp gauges you get with the smoker work properly. Get a electronic thermometer and check out. Alo like everyone else said if you put water in the pan temp will go down.

Don't rely on the temp gauge you get with the smoker. I have 2 WSM and either one of the temp gauges you get with the smoker work properly. Get a electronic thermometer and check out. Alo like everyone else said if you put water in the pan temp will go down.

I think it's accurate, it's just not at the grate level. But yeah, don't rely on that to be your cooking temp.

Back