MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #16
RobKC
is one Smokin' Farker

Feel free to stop by our spot, 644, after judging. We always like talking with the judges.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:00 PM   #17
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

At one contest a couple of years ago the contest Rep, Jack Gibbs (RIP), gave a little talk at the judges meeting that went something like this: "Dammitt people, don't just take a little nibble off of that thigh or rib or whatever ..... Give it a good couple of bites, get a good taste & give the cooks a chance to show you what they can do ..... Don't just nibble so that you can take it home for later ..... These guys have put a lot of time & money into serving you this food ..... Give them a fair shot!"
The above is NOT a direct quote, it's just how I remember it. I sure wish that some one would have recorded that little talk & encorperated into the judges CD and oath. And yes, I sometimes have a cooler to take stuff home with me ..... but more than likely my cooler will just have beer & smoked cheese in it.
And judges, most all of the teams that I know will more than welcome you to visit on Friday evening, too.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #18
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie'48 View Post
At one contest a couple of years ago the contest Rep, Jack Gibbs (RIP), gave a little talk at the judges meeting that went something like this: "Dammitt people, don't just take a little nibble off of that thigh or rib or whatever ..... Give it a good couple of bites, get a good taste & give the cooks a chance to show you what they can do ..... Don't just nibble so that you can take it home for later ..... These guys have put a lot of time & money into serving you this food ..... Give them a fair shot!"
The above is NOT a direct quote, it's just how I remember it. I sure wish that some one would have recorded that little talk & encorperated into the judges CD and oath. And yes, I sometimes have a cooler to take stuff home with me ..... but more than likely my cooler will just have beer & smoked cheese in it.
And judges, most all of the teams that I know will more than welcome you to visit on Friday evening, too.
You da man!

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2010, 10:13 PM   #19
Jeff_in_KC

Dave Compton for BOD!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #20
Red Valley BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sean

Back to our regularly scheduled thread....

I'll be there judging, but only the Open. I'm helping a team that's only cooking the invite on Saturday. Not sure I could handle that much BBQ in a weekend. Lord knows I eat enough of it when competing.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #21
daedalus
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
Dave Compton for BOD!
I second that!

As to the original question, I will be judging the invitational, open, and sides this weekend. Coolers have been permitted every time I have judged the royal before, and I have heard nothing to indicate that this year will be any different.

As to the issue of these supposed nibbling judges, I have to be honest, I have never seen a judge just nibble on their food so that they could take more home. I'm not saying that it has never happened, but if it was commonplace, I would have noticed. Personally, I took food home when I first started to judge, but found that it was really not worth the hassle, and that I rarely ate the leftovers anyway. If is worth taking home, I eat it right there at the table. This is especially true at large events like the Royal, where where I will be hanging out with teams for hours after judging. I would not feel comfortable letting the food sit in the car for that long, even in a cooler.

Having said that, I see nothing wrong with allowing people to take their leftovers home. I know several judges who make another full meal or two out of what they take home. Not to mention the fact that throwing it away is just plain wasteful. Just my two cents.

Dark Horse BBQ Competition Team
KCBS Master CBJ
Certified Moink Baller

Good One "Open Range" Smoker, WMS (Cirqa 1983), Rescued NB offset, Modified ECB, No-name Charcoal Grill, Perfect Flame Gasser, Weber 22.5" One Touch Silver
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2010, 02:14 PM   #22
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
Not to mention the fact that throwing it away is just plain wasteful. Just my two cents.
OP- do not worry, these guys are obviously grinding an axe.

The fact that they responded in this way to someone who is conscientious enough to ask their questions before hand ..... says a lot about them.

--- If you think you are loosing because people are not taking big enough bites .... well that is just funny. If they nibbled yours than they are nibbling everyone else's. (same as in highschool)

" I would of won, but I got a nibbler." LOL

Fred
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2010, 02:29 PM   #23
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

The individual that made the comment is also a KCBS judge and also currently one of the top teams in the nation so he doesn't really have an axe to grind. I think he's just asking for the judge to make sure they remember they are their to focus on judging. In fact, he's offering judges plenty more if they come by his booth after judging as a thank you and for the judges safety.

How would you feel if your guests came to your house with a take home cooler but only ate a few nibbles during the meal you worked so hard to serve?
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-29-2010, 03:06 PM   #24
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

linhardt - Take your cooler. It's fine.

I also take my judging very seriously because I am also a cook. I almost never see other judges 'nibbling' instead of taking a serious bite. However, I do see some judges who are in a hurry. I try to model for the other judges at my table by totally experiencing each sample. I stop to look at it before I smell it, then after I bite it I chew it for a while to experience the wide range of flavors that the cook worked so hard to impart. Then, I take some time to ponder scores in my mind . . . before I finally record the score. Sometimes I'll take another bite to confirm something I thought I tasted or to remember the tenderness before I record the score.

We only get one chance to both sample and cook - and I am there to give the cooks the best, most accurate score that I possibly can.

I take poor samples home because I also was raised not to be wasteful - and my dogs can't seem to tell the difference between a 9 and a 2 . . . they love it all!
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2010, 03:12 PM   #25
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by QansasjayhawQ View Post
I take poor samples home because I also was raised not to be wasteful - and my dogs can't seem to tell the difference between a 9 and a 2 . . . they love it all!
I learned in judging class that a 4 is something that you wouldn't feed your dog.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2010, 04:52 PM   #26
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

I am judging the invitational and the open. Coming up Friday to see the chaos.
I agree that I have not seen many judges take small bites and the few times that I have the rep has usually given instructions to them to take a bigger bite.
I take left overs home. I don't like to be wasteful and my daughter is becoming a bbq smoking fool and she likes to size up the competition for when she makes the leap. Hope to meet some of you this weekend and good luck to you. keith ,a damn eater
mobow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2010, 07:10 AM   #27
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
I second that!
Personally, I took food home when I first started to judge, but found that it was really not worth the hassle, and that I rarely ate the leftovers anyway.
Yeah, that lasted about 3 contest, last time I took BBQ home from judging was Vegas in 2004 and it got thrown out that night.
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2010, 09:09 PM   #28
Jeff_in_KC

Sorry you missed your samples, Linhardt. We had a ton of leftovers from two contests... You should have stopped by.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #29
linhardt
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Unfortunately I was only able to judge the invitational and immediately head back home to my daughter and her activities so I was unable to visit any teams this year. Next year I am going to try to judge again and will make it a point to spend more time there. Again I appreciated the offer for some BBQ from all, if the offer still stands I would definitely like a taste. I did not take a cooler because I did not think I would have time to mess with it.
linhardt is offline   Reply With Quote