Firebox insulation

shdybrady

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Im looking for a way to insulate my fire box. Im going to have my firebox housed actually inside my smoker and need a way to protect the meat. Is there anything better then just housing insulation?

i plan on cutting an access whole in the botton right side. That will go to the firebox. then it will be a reverse flow design.

If I was doing it I probably put the fire box on the back sode center of the gang box

Try mineral wool for your insulation. Rated at 1400 degrees. I have seen it at Home Depot once, or you will have to call a commercial insulation supplier.

you know that doesnt sound bad. It would be equal distribution of heat to around the box. Is there any other ideas? I really want to pursue this idea. It seems like a good platform. Thick steel, possibility of good cooking surface. The only thing I cant quite figure out is the firebox. I really dont want to build one outside of it because I think it would give a real clean symetrical look.

I racked my brain over this concept last night and think this is the most practical idea. It seems like it will work. Its kind of a reverse flow idea just the firebox will be located in the middle of the smoker. BUt the chimney will still make the smoke draw across the meat.

391241648.jpg

I would place a V shaped plate near the bottom with a grease drain then just below make a sliding drawer with a maze on top for the fuel. It should work like a cabinet smoker then.Trim the door with 1.5 inch flat bar and seal with red silicone, add a latch to keep it snug.

so you are saying make the firebox slide out? i didnt think of that. That would make tending to the fire really simple. All the grease that falls off the meat will fall on the the plate steel that diverts the smoke. So I would have to put it above that. How would I put one over that with out interrupting the smoke?

You could put the drip pan diverter on stilts.

Cut it say 3" away from each side and place the exhaust in the top center of the cooker, the smoke will find it's way through the meat.

Another way would simply weld four brackets to the inner walls to support the pan.

ok I get you know. I thought you were sayin put something to catch the grease and make it dump outside. But you are simply saying make a catch tray/pan. To make for easy clean up afterwards

Yes but find a way to plumb it outside the box so that you don't get a grease fire.

You could always drill a bunch of holes in the plate so the grease drips through adding to the flavor of the meat and keeping flair ups under control.

ok so let the drippings go back into the firebox? because if that the case I could do something like this

391243489.jpg

the cook grates will sit above the angled catch pan and it will roll into a pipe will drip into the firebox. Is that would you were talking about> Will the fire not be able to move up the pipe as well and get to the meat?

awesome. Does you/ or anyone, see why this design wouldnt be effective? Or have another way of improve the design?

If you don't want the grease to hit the fire then plumb it to run off outside the cooker.

If using a diverter the punch a bunch of say 1" holes in that pan so that some of the grease gets through and the other sizzles on the diverter.

Back