MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
Iso
Knows what a fatty is.

Question Injectors

I just booked a cook for ~200 people. So I have 25 briskets & 20 pork butts coming. Is this too much? Figured 1#/head for brisket and a bit less for the pork. They like large portions here.

The injector we use at a competition is fine for a couple of briskets and butts just fine. This is seriously not going to work for injecting this many chunks of meat. Is there an injector that is more automated? Something that I could hookup to a gallon (or bucket) of injection and just start injecting?

Old 10-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #2
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iso View Post
I just booked a cook for ~200 people. So I have 25 briskets & 20 pork butts coming. Is this too much? Figured 1#/head for brisket and a bit less for the pork. They like large portions here.

The injector we use at a competition is fine for a couple of briskets and butts just fine. This is seriously not going to work for injecting this many chunks of meat. Is there an injector that is more automated? Something that I could hookup to a gallon (or bucket) of injection and just start injecting?
Seems like more than needed to me. The butts should yield almost 90 pounds cooked (8lb butts raw), which is almost 1/2 pound per person of just butts. Not sure how brisket cooks down, but if they cook to half their weight and they start out at 15 pounds each, that's 187 pounds cooked - or nearly a pound of brisket per-person. That's my take, anyway. You're good if they can eat almost 1.5 pounds each, though! I've seen days I thought I could!
[B]WSM 18.5[/B]
[B]Weber One-Touch Gold [/B]
[B]Smokey Joe Silver[/B]
The Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
Iso
Knows what a fatty is.

Briskets cook down about to about 60% of the raw weight. Briskets up here have been running a bit small at 10-12 pounds raw.

Anyway ran across an old thread in the Brethern on this injector http://www.bbqinjector.com/cart.html. Looks nearly perfect.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

This is the one I've used for several years. I got mine from butcher-packer.com.

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index....products_id=28

They still have the best price on this particular brine pump. It's also available from Allied-Kenco and Jack's Old South for about $180.

It's not cheap but is very high quality, food grade, parts are available like "O" rings, hoses, canulas, etc. I've used it for competition and many cooks for 200-400 people.
Attached Images
File Type: gif brine_pump_hose_LRG.gif (4.2 KB, 195 views)

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 10-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
This is the one I've used for several years. I got mine from butcher-packer.com.

They still have the best price on this particular brine pump. It's also available from Allied-Kenco and Jack's Old South for about $180.

It's not cheap but is very high quality, food grade, parts are available like "O" rings, hoses, canulas, etc. I've used it for competition and many cooks for 200-400 people.
+1 on that one.

I just used it last weekend and had 16 butts injected in MAYBE 10 minutes. Works awesome.

Here's another site that sells em.....
http://www.madcowcutlery.com/store/p...r-156p1538.htm
Old 10-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
Arlin_MacRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post

+1 from me on this one made by F. Dick (no, really). I used it to inject 300+ ham hocks a month ago and I would still be crippled up if I'd had to use a syringe! Great quality and super easy to use and clean.

Arlin

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

What is the total weight of brisket and then pork you plan to cook? I think you are getting ready to cook way too much meat.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
Iso
Knows what a fatty is.

Ordered 410# total raw. Figured that would come down to about 246# cooked (raw * .60). Enough for about 1# per person total with enough extra for unaccounted guests, to feed workers + extra big eaters.

Briskets up here have been coming out small. Only 10-11 pounds each. Pork butts have been running 7-9 pounds each.

Client said 200 people....
Old 10-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #9
vexter1
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iso View Post
Briskets cook down about to about 60% of the raw weight. Briskets up here have been running a bit small at 10-12 pounds raw.

Anyway ran across an old thread in the Brethern on this injector http://www.bbqinjector.com/cart.html. Looks nearly perfect.
+1 on this injector - been using it for the last couple of years - it has held up well overall. The only real issue is the clean up - it's a little bit of a nuisance, but overall - works VERY well for mass injecting.
vexter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I saw one Myron Mixon assuring via his twitter page. Had three prong injector! He said he's offering one on his site soon for half what he paid for his.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #11
Mammoth Mountain
On the road to being a farker

Location: Orting Wa up on the hillside of a Volcano Mt. Rainier

Bryan,
I have a one gallon injector. Look up "No Cents Injector". I works pretty well.

With that many pork butts you may want to get a "Roman Pork Puller " I did a wedding a month ago and pulled 6 butts in less than a minute.
Mammoth Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #12
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

I use the No Cents Injector also and it works great at a super price compared to the others.