MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-02-2018, 01:14 AM   #8086
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako
Default Cornish Game Hens on the still battered PBJ

Haven't had time to get in touch with Noah or Amber to mend the damaged lid but Jr. is still kicking arse

1lb-ers

In the Jr

Rice and some green stuff

Tender

Juicy

Excellent!! I'll be doing these again for sure
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2018, 07:37 AM   #8087
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

It's been cold and snowy or cold and rainy here in Massachusetts but I've had enough. Haven't used my PBC in over a month but tonight I'm firing up for some chicken halves and more exciting I'm using my new skewer to make some roast beef from some bottom round. Will post pron later tonight.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-02-2018, 02:39 PM   #8088
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Guys.....I've seen a few posts recently about the thought or desire to adjust the vent cap (intake) in order to prevent lower temps. I wanted to remind you that increasing the temp in the PBC is very easy by cracking the lid. From just barely a crack for a small increase to opening it up about an inch or so for a pretty big increase, cracking the lid will get you a temp increase.
I only mention this because most of us bought the PBC to not have to adjust the intake on mosts cooks. So once you get yours set you can leave it alone. On the rare cooks you do that require a temp increase just crack the lid. Ok and if you need a lower temp, just get a magnet or glove or whatever and partially block the intake.

These are obviously just suggestions that, in my opinion, will help you keep your cook temps stable for your day to day PBC cooks. Obviously you can adjust whatever you see fit. After all it's your cooker!...
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2018, 03:30 PM   #8089
rs242
Got Wood.

Default Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC) Appreciation Thread

Just a update on loading the pbc with 3 large packers. I called the pbc helpline, very nice ppl. She told me that 3 she thinks would be too much. Her main concern-was all the dripping fat, she was saying it might be too much and might smother the coals. She told me not to touch the intake, suggested I do 2 at a time. I told her at this point it’s too late already started trimming and dry brining. So she told just keep a eye on the temp if I see it dropping it’s probably because of the too much fat on the coals. Wish me luck!!

Edit: also she said there office was closed on the weekend (my cook will start tomorrow night) but if I had a grilling emergency (haha) I can call and leave a message and one of the owners would give me a call back.
rs242 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2018, 05:14 PM   #8090
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

I was thinking three might be too much for keeping the coals free from too many drippings, but you never know until you try.

Just need to pack a tight basket like Sako mentioned.

Good luck!

Old 02-02-2018, 05:58 PM   #8091
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

RS, let us know how it goes! You’ve got me interested.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:26 PM   #8092
ssv3

I still say you're going to be fine. Just have to keep an eye on it. That's all.

Surely three briskets can't be dripping more fat than three butts

Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-02-2018, 06:49 PM   #8093
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Chicken was dusted with Killer Hogs hot rub and it was out of the park. Small bird done in just over 90 minutes. Now the skewer worked fine but it was really close to the coals. There seemed to be an uneven cook from bottom to top and I'm really wishing I had bought the 10" skewers now. Biggest take away is I should have had the meat probe in the skewered roast to keep a better eye on it may have prevented the uneven cooks. Flavor was also incredible and I can't wait to make sandwiches for the week!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180202_192359037.jpg (84.4 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180202_190901_283.jpg (40.1 KB, 182 views)

Old 02-02-2018, 07:43 PM   #8094
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah...it should be fine but keeping an eye on it will be key.

I'll do butts all day long but i'm a little intimidated about two briskets at once, let alone three haha. The butt is just so forgiving, cheaper, and no real investment in prep time.

I get so pissed when I don't hit the sweet spot on a brisket, mainly because I hate the time it takes to trim it. Finally got a decent knife for Christmas though so it wasn't as painful last time.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:48 PM   #8095
ssv3

WOT and let 'er rip. Open up that intake.

The lid, like mentioned by Andrew is fine but as soon as you put it back temps stabilize again. You can't really crack the lid and let her go for extended amount of time becuase it'll burn the briskets. In comparison, opening up the intake a bit will aid greatly. My $.02 at least.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 02-03-2018, 10:41 AM   #8096
johnnylightnin
Full Fledged Farker

I’m loading up the PBC for the first time today (4 racks of back ribs and 4 half-chickens). Any rhyme or reason on what to hang where? Also, anybody ever done a plain salt and pepper prep on ribs? My mom is diabetic and I was trying to think of a way to keep the sugar down for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-03-2018, 11:39 AM   #8097
LloydQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
I’m loading up the PBC for the first time today (4 racks of back ribs and 4 half-chickens). Any rhyme or reason on what to hang where? Also, anybody ever done a plain salt and pepper prep on ribs? My mom is diabetic and I was trying to think of a way to keep the sugar down for her.

Maybe try banking the coals a little heavier on one side, and hang the ribs on the smaller side? I usually let the ribs go about 2 hours before adding the chicken.
LloydQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2018, 12:06 PM   #8098
ssv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post

I'd do racks on one bar, chix on the other. Just space them out evenly to allow for smooth airflow and that's it. I've done S&P ribs and even chicken and they come out fantastic. I'll be honest, I was more shocked on how good the chicken tasted with jus S&P. If you want extra flavor maybe onion, garlic, a little paprika for color but S&P does just fine. Good luck.

The bottom rack was S&P only

S&P bottom rib

S&P chicken

Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 02-03-2018, 03:55 PM   #8099
johnnylightnin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
I'd do racks on one bar, chix on the other. Just space them out evenly to allow for smooth airflow and that's it. I've done S&P ribs and even chicken and they come out fantastic. I'll be honest, I was more shocked on how good the chicken tasted with jus S&P. If you want extra flavor maybe onion, garlic, a little paprika for color but S&P does just fine. Good luck.

The bottom rack was S&P only

S&P bottom rib

S&P chicken

Looks great! I went 2 parts pepper, 1 part salt, 1/2 part garlic and just a pinch of cloves.

Breezy day here, so I’m having to work to keep the temps up. I’ll load the chicken in 15 minutes or so. I imagine I’ll have to crack the lid to get the temps where they need to be,

Old 02-03-2018, 06:51 PM   #8100
rs242
Got Wood.

Ok fellas it starts.
rs242 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it